Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Jack Kennedy takes BSB title    
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Old 7th January 2018, 01:13 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,289 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
Default Re: Shido lithium batteries

Originally Posted by Gixxer
I've got serious calling a spade a spade issues, and when someone says I'm talking shite because he read something on Google and misunderstood it, I'm gonna call a spade a spade.
You don't have a clue where I read it,you're assuming! It's in a factory workshop manual supplied by Yamaha for the new wr450's...that's where I read it because it's in my best interest to know!! Muppet.
Old 7th January 2018, 01:18 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,847 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Originally Posted by DavyH
You don't have a clue where I read it,you're assuming! It's in a factory workshop manual supplied by Yamaha for the new wr450's...that's where I read it because it's in my best interest to know!! Muppet.
It doesn't matter where you read it. You misunderstood it and made a prick of yourself.
Old 7th January 2018, 01:22 PM
MotoGP Legend

It doesn't matter where you read it. You misunderstood it and made a prick of yourself.
You're continuing to make a prick of yourself,no me....you say they are shite but you're wrong! They're good enough to be used as factory fitment on bikes that can warrant the extra cost....I read and understood it just fine so stick your thumbs up right up your hole
Old 7th January 2018, 01:29 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Originally Posted by DavyH
You're continuing to make a prick of yourself,no me....you say they are shite but you're wrong! They're good enough to be used as factory fitment on bikes that can warrant the extra cost....I read and understood it just fine so stick your thumbs up right up your hole
You should start a youtube channel to compete with that delboy wanker. He spouts shite about things he knows fuck all about too

This is the biggest problem with the internet these days. Too much misinformation by people who think that because they know how to change an oil filter they're suddenly an expert on everything. The reality is they're just bluffing their way through life and spouting shite about things they know fuck all about, and like that delboy prick, they convince gullible people that they know their shit.

This is my new years resolution, by the way. To not take shit from pricks who don't know their arse from their elbow
Old 7th January 2018, 01:32 PM
MotoGP Legend

You should start a youtube channel to compete with that delboy wanker. He spouts shite about things he knows fuck all about too

This is the biggest problem with the internet these days. Too much misinformation by people who think that because they know how to change an oil filter they're suddenly an expert on everything. The reality is they're just bluffing their way through life and spouting shite about things they know fuck all about, and like that delboy prick, they convince gullible people that they know their shit.

This is my new years resolution, by the way. To not take shit from pricks who don't know their arse from their elbow
Yeah but they're shite aren't they,cause they blow up all the time and won't start your bike if it's cold...yeah good stuff Gixxer thanks for letting us know
Old 7th January 2018, 01:36 PM
MotoGP Legend

I might be offended at your attempted insults but I do fine and I'm well capable. You don't like being criticized,not everyone has to agree on your opinion, especially when there's people with everyday experience that can vouch for something. Get over it
Old 7th January 2018, 02:46 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 19332 from Dublin
1,024 posts since Nov 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: KTM SMT 990,BMWs
Modifications: Akra cans, remap,

Originally Posted by CodeJACK
Anyone got one of these?

My battery is toast and I've gone and bought one of these on eBay for 66.

My question is whether they come charged and ready to rock or do I have to charge it first?

Does the charging system on the bike need to be changed in any way?

Will my Optimate 4 charger work as it does not support Lithium but the Shido seems to suggest that any charger will work provided it does not send more than 14.9v to the battery.

Cheers.
Hey CodeJack, i got of the below chargers and it works fine on the lithium battery, and also you will rarely ever have to charge the lithium battery as they discharge so slowly.

http://www.carpimoto.it/en-IE/Electr...roof-Bike-.htm
Old 7th January 2018, 03:28 PM
Quantum Mechanic

Biker.ie Member No. 7493 from Mallow
5,905 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: TLR,Z900,CB200,CD200,Pan
Modifications: They sometimes work

I have to that the Gixxer speaks the truth, LiFePO batteries need a bit of heat in them before they will work, hence turning on the lights to get a bit of current flowing and warming them up a bit before you thumb the starter.
This is especially true on certain bikes with iffy starter clutch assemblies where you need full power cranking or they will fuck up(aprilias as mentioned and a few others).
Try cranking one of these on a lithium battery that's cold and you will be fitting a new starter clutch.
Bikes with good starter assemblies can be cranked as normal and the starter current will provide the heat needed after a few seconds.
The sleep circuit is there to shut off the battery and prevent undervoltage conditions which will kill these batteries in very short order.
The other thing i would like to see is a charge monitoring circuit in the batteries, i'm not sure which ones have and which ones don't but it's important that charge levels between the cells are balanced to get the best out of these batteries.
Old 7th January 2018, 08:52 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 3844 from Dublin South
2,164 posts since Oct 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Z1000SX
Modifications: Your Ma!

Originally Posted by hornethead
Hey CodeJack, i got of the below chargers and it works fine on the lithium battery, and also you will rarely ever have to charge the lithium battery as they discharge so slowly.

http://www.carpimoto.it/en-IE/Electr...roof-Bike-.htm
Nice one, that's a nice cheap find

I found out on another forum that the Shido ship with a full charge in them so ill not bother with the charger for now.

Originally Posted by the landshark
I have to that the Gixxer speaks the truth, LiFePO batteries need a bit of heat in them before they will work, hence turning on the lights to get a bit of current flowing and warming them up a bit before you thumb the starter.
This is especially true on certain bikes with iffy starter clutch assemblies where you need full power cranking or they will fuck up(aprilias as mentioned and a few others).
Try cranking one of these on a lithium battery that's cold and you will be fitting a new starter clutch.
Bikes with good starter assemblies can be cranked as normal and the starter current will provide the heat needed after a few seconds.
The sleep circuit is there to shut off the battery and prevent undervoltage conditions which will kill these batteries in very short order.
The other thing i would like to see is a charge monitoring circuit in the batteries, i'm not sure which ones have and which ones don't but it's important that charge levels between the cells are balanced to get the best out of these batteries.
Hmmm, seems to be very mixed thoughts on this so I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.
Any thoughts on the Kawasaki starter assemblies?
Bike is not ticking over on the existing battery. No clicking. But when connected to a car via jump leads, it does start.

I dont mind leaving the lights on in the cold for a while before hitting the starter. Cant see why this would be an issue
Old 7th January 2018, 10:38 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
484 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

Originally Posted by CodeJACK
I dont mind leaving the lights on in the cold for a while before hitting the starter. Cant see why this would be an issue
Great thread and we are getting an education into the bargain.

Just to clarify and feel free to jump down my throat if I'm wrong: You use the lights in the cold to heat the battery. You turn off the lights just before trying to start the bike, this would allow the battery to supply all its current to the starter motor.
Old 7th January 2018, 10:57 PM
Resident gynaecologist

I'm not certain but I reckon they must all have a built in balance circuit, or any low cell would be getting charged at cranking amps when the starter button is pressed, which, as I've had first hand experience of, can be a bit catastrophic in lithium batteries.

Last edited by Gixxer; 7th January 2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 8th January 2018, 12:16 AM
Supporter

I'm not certain but I reckon they must all have a built in balance circuit, or any low cell would be getting charged at cranking amps when the starter button is pressed, which, as I've had first hand experience of, can be a bit catastrophic in lithium batteries.
I got the Shido because it has the balance cuircuit built in. There are some (mostly early tech) batteries available that require their specific charger to be able to get all cells balanced.
Old 8th January 2018, 12:18 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by me2
Great thread and we are getting an education into the bargain.

Just to clarify and feel free to jump down my throat if I'm wrong: You use the lights in the cold to heat the battery. You turn off the lights just before trying to start the bike, this would allow the battery to supply all its current to the starter motor.
Most bikes have the headlight on all the time anyway. So I'm guessing that turning on my heated grips as well as full beams will heat the battery enough for a start.

Its gonna be like starting an old diesel where you wait for the coil packs to heat up and the light to go off before starting

Actually, if this is such an issue, why is there no aftermarket dash light to go off when the lithium bat is ready to start?

Maybe I could make one??
Old 8th January 2018, 08:28 AM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
33,896 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

This is especially true on certain bikes with iffy starter clutch assemblies where you need full power cranking or they will fuck up (aprilias as mentioned and a few others).
Maybe it was down to normal wear and tear but I had to replace the starter motor on a fairly fresh (at the time) fireblade shortly after fitting a light weight Shorai lithium battery.

Rather than any weight saving benefits - it was more a case of utilising the lithium battery's diminutive size to fit in more stuff, like a piggyback ecu, under the seat unit to free up the rear cowl space just enough for a pack of king sized tissues, for when somebody did a better wheelie than me
Old 8th January 2018, 02:15 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2683 from The seventh ring...
2,505 posts since Feb 2006
Motorbike: VF1000 F, ZXR-R
Modifications: Total loss fucks system

I got an X Racer lithium battery and charger for the big Fazer.

-2c this morning. Fired up first stab, no bother.

Rode to work with headlights on and Oxford heated grips on 75%.
Half an hour on the motorway.

Just for a laugh, I flipped the seat and hit the self test button after I switched off the ignition - 100%.

Bike lives in a wooden shed that wouldn't be much beyond ambient, but not damp. Might make a difference.

Just throwing it out there.
Old 12th January 2018, 02:00 PM
Supporter

Shido battery arrived and fitted this morning

It was obviously in the back of the courier van for the night as it was like a ice block. Test indicator on the top said fully charged.

Bike starts from cold with no hesitation. Tail light doesn't fade at idle and the Oxford heated grips turned on to 50% at idle, the battery low led does not come on.

Time will tell but I'm very impressed. Only a tenner more than the lead/acid stocker would have cost.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
batteries, lithium, shido