Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 10th January 2018, 07:59 PM
All I wanted was a Pepsi

Biker.ie Member No. 1921 from DNS Dublin
8,942 posts since Jun 2005
Motorbike: '01 ZRX1200R, '99 SV650S
Default LS2 FF320 "Stream": quick look

Time for a new helmet (I dropped the old one - SHIT!). Here's a quick look at the LS2 FF320 "Stream".

DSCN0009.jpg

Appearances
I wanted the white/black "Lunar" design, but unfortunately Crossan's only had the black/white version.

(They are different: the white/black is mostly white; the black/white is mostly black. I'm fussy, I'll admit it.)

So instead of going for another graphic that I wasn't really keen on (I really wanted to like the pink "Wind" design, but it's got some odd dandelion spore thing going on; and it wasn't in stock anyway), I decided the "solid white" would be pretty good, since there's black trim all over it anyway. The "LS2" branding isn't over-the-top. It is gloss white.

The shell isn't round, but instead is quite "sculpted", which really enhances the appearance.

Price
But to the important stuff: price. At just over 100EUR I don't think you can get a helmet with similar features for anywhere near that price.

BONUS: you get a FREE PINLOCK INSERT! Very nice, but also very necessary, as I found that the first time wearing it, the visor is prone to fogging up.

Features
The visor is thick, so it's not "flexy" when raised or lowered, and it feels nice. Removing it really is as easy as videos make it look, it's a very clever design. It's also pre-drilled for the Pinlock insert.

The lining is very nice (as it should be). The fit is a little tight, but for me this is normal for a new helmet. The liners tend to squish a bit after some wear. An interesting feature (which I don't see listed on the Crossan's website for this helmet) is a "pump" system that bumps up the padding in the cheek area, making it very secure on your face - if you want it.

I'm coming from a double-D strap, and so far I'm finding this "seat-buckle" style is really convenient: just pop it in and go, and just pull the tab and it's out.

The top vents are easy, just slide the top vents back (open) or forward (closed); the chin vent is too delicate and is too close to the visor, I tend to close it every time I open/close the visor; and it seems oddly positioned to accept airflow. It seems to work, but it could be better.

The internal drop-down sun visor is cool! And super-handy. It could drop down a little bit lower, but I quickly got used to the line-of-sight. But not having to think about either switching visors or sunglasses, I really appreciate this feature. Having a sun shade as needed, and not having anything on your face, is brilliant.

It is heavier than my last helmet, certainly down to the internal visor. But I didn't notice it until I picked up my old helmet for comparison. I wonder if this will become apparent on a long spin.

Where I got it
Crossan's in Newry ("thevisorshop"). I've gotten a few helmets off them (and other gear), and they've always been fantastic. I'd have no hesitation in recommending them.
Old 10th January 2018, 08:15 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36432 from Clare
153 posts since Jul 2016
Motorbike: Yammie XJ750D
Modifications: Motad system ebc brake di
Default Re: LS2 FF320 "Stream": quick look

LS are quality for the price to be fair nice write up I must of dropped helmets 4 or 5 times off the bike or a wall and just give quick inspection and keep wearing them. Although I know you should change after a fall I have dropped my current lid 3 times I can remember it's less than a year old and was 400 quid so unless I see a debt or crack it will be dropped probably double that again . Although this is a guy that for 12 years bought second hand helmets in adverts and donedeal lol
Old 10th January 2018, 08:26 PM
All I wanted was a Pepsi
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Originally Posted by Katanasteve
LS are quality for the price to be fair nice write up I must of dropped helmets 4 or 5 times off the bike or a wall and just give quick inspection and keep wearing them. Although I know you should change after a fall I have dropped my current lid 3 times I can remember it's less than a year old and was 400 quid so unless I see a debt or crack it will be dropped probably double that again . Although this is a guy that for 12 years bought second hand helmets in adverts and donedeal lol
If I hadn't dropped mine from @5ft onto stone paving - e.g., if it was from 3ft onto carpet - then I'd probably have ignored it. But no, I had to really bash the damn thing properly
Old 10th January 2018, 09:20 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 36041
251 posts since Apr 2016
Motorbike: BMW F650
Modifications: Air freshner

I've had a LS2 for 3+ years now and can't fault it, getting frayed around the edges now but will buy one again.
Old 11th January 2018, 10:31 PM
All I wanted was a Pepsi
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

A question for any Pinlock insert users out there: is it normal for the insert to appear slightly discoloured, even hazy? Is that just the nature of the insert, or should it be absolutely clear (like a normal clear visor)? The insert I received with this helmet seems hazy; and while I'd get used to it, I'd rather it be more clear.

UPDATE/EDIT: protective film, DUH! Removed that now, I'm a moron.

Last edited by ridelikeaturtle; 11th January 2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11th January 2018, 11:30 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37468 from Swords
71 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: Pan European
Modifications: Heated grips...

Thanks for this, I want a spare lid and this sounds good. Have to check cash flow tomorrow and may as well look at their site.
Old 12th January 2018, 06:36 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26433 from Dublin
313 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: CB 1300, Suzuki gn 125

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
A question for any Pinlock insert users out there: is it normal for the insert to appear slightly discoloured, even hazy? Is that just the nature of the insert, or should it be absolutely clear (like a normal clear visor)? The insert I received with this helmet seems hazy; and while I'd get used to it, I'd rather it be more clear.

UPDATE/EDIT: protective film, DUH! Removed that now, I'm a moron.
Funny ya say that, I have a flip up ls2 lid (no pinlock) and there is a small bit of distortion when looking through the visor. Nothing major but definitely noticeable. Put it down to the fact I spent around 100 euro for it. Just been looking for a protective film which I may have missed and no sign of it.
No such problems with my shoei...

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
ff320, ls2, quick, stream