Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > Other > Buying and Selling

Closed Thread

Old 13th December 2007, 06:17 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 6249
293 posts since Jul 2007
Motorbike: Honda SP1, Yam FZR250R
Modifications: Power Commander, Leo Vinci exhast
Default Importing from The UK - definitive guide

alrite peeps, found this on another site for cars which ive bastardised a bit but its good info, think all the rules are the same for bikes aswell as cars: -

Firstly here is the best information you can get: Revenue.ie - VRT

When you want to get a car or bike from the UK there are a few rules to follow:

(1) You will have to pay VRT on any bike coming into Ireland from any country unless over 30 years old.
(2) You will have to pay VAT on all bikes coming from outside the EU, so always buy in the EU as an additional 21% will never bring it under the Irish price.
(3) You will have to pay VAT on all bikes under 6 mths old or less than 6,000kms even if they are from within the EU.

VRT

When you are looking at the price of different bikes in the UK (Autotrader.co.uk is the best site) it might seem like the prices are great. This can be true for some cars but others this is not the case.

Obviously, you will firstly have to convert the price into EURO using the most up to date rate that your bank will Sell GBP (This can be quite different from the daily exchange rates that you might see in the papers).

Then you will have to calculate the VRT. This can vary in a number of ways:
(1) The % of VRT is based on the engine size of the car or bike (see sticky at top of this thread for VRT).
(2) It is not based on the price you bought the car or bike for but the Open Market Selling Price or OMSP. This is a value decided by the Revenue. In my experience these can be way off. Sometimes they are way above the retail value and sometimes they are less than the Trade value. Depends on the bike

Procedure for Buying:

(1) Get a shortlist of bikes that you are interested in knock off about 5% of the listed price for a cash discount. Should get more off but leave that as a nice surprise.

(2) Call your local VRO office (listed in the contact page on Revenue.ie) and ask for a VRT quote. They should be able to give you the amount straight away They will then need the chassis number and they will get their VRO Department in Rosslare to do up a valuation - usually 1 day.

(3) You will now have the cost of the bike.

(4) Factor in expenses, usually about 1,000.
- Flights
- Ferry
- HPI Check

(5) Contact the Dealer (never buy privately) you want to buy from and give them as many questions as you can think of. Tell them that you will be getting an inspection done so they may as well tell you everything now. If you are not 100% happy with all answers, walk away!!!!! Every Tom, Dick and Harry has a 'dealership' in the UK, loads of guys operating out of their back gardens, so be wary. Don't bother getting a warranty from the dealer if the bike is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty, in fact you should be able to get money off if you tell them you don't want it.
**EU law states that a manufacturer must stand over their warranty in every EU country regardless of which country the bike was originally purchased so if something goes wrong you can go to your local dealership and you will be covered by the warranty. This does not cover Dealership warranties, only Manufacturer!!

(6) Once happy, you will have to pay a deposit, (by Credit Card) don't worry, once its by credit card you are covered from fraud. Make sure it is subject to the inspection not showing up anything that will change the overall value of the car from his decryption.

(7) Get inspection done - Note: is this possible for a bike??

(8) Agree a date to travel over and get the Dealer to collect you from the closest Airport.

(9) Get a bank draft for the remaining GBP balance to pay the dealer.

(10) Call you insurance company and ask them to transfer your policy to the new car. They will only issue a temporary cover for a non-Irish reg that lasts for 1 month.

(11) You should have no trouble of making the journey in one day if you leave early in the morning you will be back in Dublin that night.

(12) Get a bank draft for the amount you were quoted when you got the VRT quote. Knock off about 10% from the draft and bring cash as some time will have passed and the amount they want will have gone down.

(13)With in 24hrs of arriving in Ireland you are required to present the bike at the VRO. You will have to fill out a few forms and then they will have a look to see if you have honestly described the bike. Don't worry about telling them about every extra, they don't seem to care as long as the Make, Model and Year as are you said. (So make sure that its fully loaded).

(14) They will then give you a document that will have your new Irish Reg on it. Go and get some plates done up and put them on the bike.

(15) Get your insurance changed to the new reg.

(16) A few days later you will receive the Vehicle Registration Cert. This is not the same as the one that you usually have as it in only the initial cert. and is used to Tax a bike for the first time only.

(17) Go to the Tax office and tax that puppy!

(18) In a few days you will have you proper Vehicle Registration Document.

In general, even with VRT, most bikes are cheaper from the UK. Obviously, there more expensive the bike the more you will save.

always use your common sense and don't let the really cheap ones get the better of you.

Good Luck!!!
Old 13th December 2007, 06:33 PM
Buswald Inmate

Biker.ie Member No. 3320 from BC
5,017 posts since Jun 2006
Motorbike: Honda Magna Suzuki GT380
Modifications: minor stuff
Default Re: Importing from The UK - definitive guide

Useful, thanks. I would say that the price advantage can be more than 21%, but there is the cost of importing from outside Europe.
Old 13th December 2007, 06:41 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5011 from Dublin
87 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: R1200GSA & KTM 640 ADV
Modifications: Yes

Great post.

Having done this twice now.
Your €1000 travel expense seems very high.

Ryanair flight about €40.
Bus and train journey to bike 20.
I got stuck for 90 liverpool late ferry but normal ferry from holyhead should be less than 50 bike and rider one way.
Petrol money and food????.
All in one day.

Last edited by noodle; 13th December 2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 13th December 2007, 07:05 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 6534 from cuckooland
5,348 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: Hi nelly/sherco 290/300

yeh... bag o sand is way off...cupla hundred max
Old 13th December 2007, 07:16 PM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,852 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)

Originally Posted by noodle
Great post.

Your 1000 travel expense seems very high.

Ryanair flight about 40.
I got stuck for 90 liverpool late ferry but normal ferry from holyhead should be less than 50 bike and rider one way.
All in one day.

helmets jockss ect ? availing of the no vat on safty gear
save a bomb
Old 13th December 2007, 07:27 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 6716
4,113 posts since Sep 2007
Motorbike: R6,

Great post.

Your 1000 travel expense seems very high.

Ryanair flight about 40.
All in one day.

Maybe he eats a lot ?
Old 13th December 2007, 09:16 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2849
2,920 posts since Mar 2006

I didn't think the vrt on a bike has anything to do with it's value ,like it has with a cage.It's based on ccs and the age of the bike.A 10year or older bike has the lowest rate.Just my 2euros worth.
Old 13th December 2007, 09:21 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5011 from Dublin
87 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: R1200GSA & KTM 640 ADV
Modifications: Yes

Originally Posted by sodit
I didn't think the vrt on a bike has anything to do with it's value ,like it has with a cage.It's based on ccs and the age of the bike.A 10year or older bike has the lowest rate.Just my 2euros worth.
https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT

Old 19th December 2007, 03:42 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4551 from Kildare
3,418 posts since Feb 2007
Motorbike: Suzuki GSF650 Nekked

Is there any way of registering without actually going to the VRO ?

I dont want to take a half day off work just to drive to naas and fill in some forms...

How long do you really have to register? They say a day but if someone brings in a bike on a saturday...they dont open til monday....

Cheers
Old 19th December 2007, 04:43 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 6694 from the arse end of nowhere
1,014 posts since Sep 2007
Motorbike: 75 Kawasaki Z1B (Mine), 03 HD Heritage Softail (Hers), 74 RD350A (She thinks it's hers)

Time to get a container full of 70's and 80's superbikes over
Old 21st December 2007, 05:17 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 6206 from Sutton
155 posts since Jul 2007
Motorbike: Looxor50,Varadero125,Transalp650 x2, Tiger 1050
Modifications: Hyperpro Springs, TOR exhaust, scratches :-(

(2) It is not based on the price you bought the car or bike for but the Open Market Selling Price or OMSP. This is a value decided by the Revenue. In my experience these can be way off. Sometimes they are way above the retail value and sometimes they are less than the Trade value. Depends on the bike

That part is incorrect - OMSP is car only.
For bikes, it is based on cc. of bike (2 euro per cc up to 350, 1 euro per cc after) and reduced for the age of the bike so its important to get EXACT date of first registration of bike
ie Bike registered 03 Dec 2006
2nd Dec 2007 - bike is 0 years old, full VRT
4th Dec 2007 - bike is 1 years old, VRT less 10%

I have bought twice privately (eBAY) once in England, once Norn Ireland. As long as you're sensible I don't see why buying private is a problem, especially if alternative is a back-street dealer wher warranty is worth s**t. Excersice the same caution as you would buying locally and should be OK
Old 24th December 2007, 10:29 AM
Monkey Magic

Biker.ie Member No. 4345 from Dublin
4,427 posts since Jan 2007
Motorbike: Fireblade

Originally Posted by GW_elder
That part is incorrect - OMSP is car only.
For bikes, it is based on cc. of bike (2 euro per cc up to 350, 1 euro per cc after) and reduced for the age of the bike so its important to get EXACT date of first registration of bike
Did this with my northern reg bike last month...for bikes it's just based on the CC, for cars, its the market value
Old 31st December 2007, 03:44 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 4892 from Clonakilty Cork
233 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: Sunbeam/Norton/BMW/ Triumph

I bought privately twice a BMW R80/7 bike and a cage. No problems what so ever. In fact I'd say I met two gentlemen. I did phone and talk to them both first. You get an idea what a bloke is like over the phone. I waited until the UK road tax expired on both before paying vrt here.
Old 9th January 2008, 03:57 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 3018 from Baile Atha Cliath
394 posts since Apr 2006
Motorbike: '03 BMW R1150R
Modifications: Assorted bits 'n bobs

Does the insurance work the same for bikes? i.e. is it best to call from over there to get insured for the trip home or get the details and do it before you go? What if the company refuse to transfer your insurance?

I'm looking to bring over a BMW in May this year, so planning ahead
Old 9th January 2008, 04:04 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 6947 from Dublin
286 posts since Oct 2007
Motorbike: CBR 600 RR (FOR SALE '03 5000)
Modifications: DB screen,Scorpion Can, Heated grips, Braided lines, Mushrooms,single seat & loads more

Originally Posted by Goff
Does the insurance work the same for bikes? i.e. is it best to call from over there to get insured for the trip home or get the details and do it before you go? What if the company refuse to transfer your insurance?

I'm looking to bring over a BMW in May this year, so planning ahead
Hi Goff

I rang Quinn direct yesterday to make sure i'm covered as i'm going over on Friday, they gave me a number to ring when i get there so i can tell them the Reg of the bike ! It doesn't cost any extra and if you have the reg you can do it before you go. Good look with the new bike, great savings to be made in England.
Old 9th January 2008, 05:12 PM
ISB Contender

394 posts since Apr 2006

Thanks for the reply PeterFitz, was looking at the UK prices, very good and the pound is dropping still further... Should save between 2-3k depending on travel costs!

When you say you rang Quinn, were you transferring existing insurance or getting new for the new bike? I'm paranoid about getting stuck with no insurance and having to ride home bricking it all the way

Good luck for the trip, what will you be bringing home with you?
Old 9th January 2008, 06:45 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 6947 from Dublin
286 posts since Oct 2007
Motorbike: CBR 600 RR (FOR SALE '03 5000)
Modifications: DB screen,Scorpion Can, Heated grips, Braided lines, Mushrooms,single seat & loads more

Originally Posted by Goff
Thanks for the reply PeterFitz, was looking at the UK prices, very good and the pound is dropping still further... Should save between 2-3k depending on travel costs!

When you say you rang Quinn, were you transferring existing insurance or getting new for the new bike? I'm paranoid about getting stuck with no insurance and having to ride home bricking it all the way

Good luck for the trip, what will you be bringing home with you?
I'm transfering my policy and once you have a full licence your are covered !

I'm saving 2000 on 06 cbr600rr, i'll let ya know how i got on when i get back !

Hopefully the shitty weather will stay away !
Old 11th January 2008, 09:52 PM
cybercide

Biker.ie Member No. 7832 from Athlone
264 posts since Jan 2008
Motorbike: Firebird

Going over next week to pick up a bike in Newcastle from a shop called M & S Motorcycles. They have a good website. Have gone through the usual material and checks and gave a deposit over the phone after agreeing by email the condition of the bike and so on. Also did the Auto-Trader check. The guy there is Gary Butler. He's been very helpful and interested in the shops reputation and looking after customers. Anyway, time will tell whether the image and reality match up. I'll post how I get on when I come back next week; but wondering if anyone out there have any experience with this shop?
Old 14th January 2008, 09:23 AM
ISB Contender

394 posts since Apr 2006

Originally Posted by peterfitz21
I'm transfering my policy and once you have a full licence your are covered !

I'm saving 2000 on 06 cbr600rr, i'll let ya know how i got on when i get back !

Hopefully the shitty weather will stay away !
So how did you get on? Hope it stayed dry for ya!
Old 17th January 2008, 05:20 PM
cybercide

Biker.ie Member No. 7832 from Athlone
264 posts since Jan 2008
Motorbike: Firebird

Brought the bike back from the UK on the ferry last night. Mark from Holyhead has a courier business and only collects bikes. Got him to bring the bike from M&S Motorcycles in Newcastle to the ferry. Nice guy very efficient.

The guys in M&S were great, had everything set up, all the documents in order and so on - even a cup of coffee waiting. Bike runs like a dream and the VRO people were very fast and Declan from Leo O Reillys did the plate. Gary Butler from M&S phoned me an hour ago to see if everything went Ok, so I'm guessing that they have a good after-sales service.
Closed Thread

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > Other > Buying and Selling

Tags
definitive, guide, importing