Old 26th May 2010, 10:21 AM #1
eddiegeary eddiegeary is offline
Novice Racer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: cork
Posts: 44
Motorbike: kawasaki zxr 400/nc 30 streetfighter
eddiegeary eddiegeary is offline
Novice Racer

 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: cork
Posts: 44
Rides: kawasaki zxr 400/nc 30 streetfighter
valve clearance questions (started as zxr400 questions)

anyone know how to adjust the valve clearance in a 91 zxr 400 L model.


EDIT BY CHOPPER
ill lump all the valve clearance questions in here and sticky the thread so info is easy to access.

Last edited by chopper; 27th May 2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: redefining thread
eddiegeary is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th May 2010, 10:37 AM #2
addicted to rage's Avatar
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Motorbike: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Modifications: to many
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard

addicted to rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Rides: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Mods: to many
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiegeary View Post
anyone know how to adjust the valve clearance in a 91 zxr 400 L model
have u taken the mesurments yet
addicted to rage is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th May 2010, 10:45 AM #3
addicted to rage's Avatar
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Motorbike: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Modifications: to many
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard

addicted to rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Rides: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Mods: to many
Re: valve clearance

well if u have taken them and some of them r tight and i bet they r then u need to increase the gap so u decrease the shim size so lets say your tolerence is say 0.25 to 0.30 and the clearance is 0.25 and u take out a 1.75 shim u need to put in a 1.70 to bring it up ,hope that helps if askin how to get at the shims well i dont know what system ur bike uses some u have to lift the cams to get the shims out from under these wee buckets and some have wee arms u slide over to get at them
addicted to rage is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th May 2010, 10:52 AM #4
eddiegeary eddiegeary is offline
Novice Racer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: cork
Posts: 44
Motorbike: kawasaki zxr 400/nc 30 streetfighter
eddiegeary eddiegeary is offline
Novice Racer

 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: cork
Posts: 44
Rides: kawasaki zxr 400/nc 30 streetfighter
Re: valve clearance

its one of the buddys doing the job for me i will give him that info cause he is worried about getting at the shims but this info helps thanks will probably be back on again for more help
eddiegeary is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th May 2010, 11:58 AM #5
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is offline
...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Motorbike: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
chopper chopper is offline
...

chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Rides: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiegeary View Post
its one of the buddys doing the job for me i will give him that info cause he is worried about getting at the shims but this info helps thanks will probably be back on again for more help
you dont need to remove the cams to remove the shims on the zxr400 if thats what your asking. just slide the followers out of the way and use a magnet.
id advise getting a manual .
chopper is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th May 2010, 11:59 AM #6
TQS Racing TQS Racing is offline
Free Bike Checks
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Castlereagh Road, BT5 6bh
Posts: 2,159
Motorbike: raleigh wisp
Modifications: cable tie
TQS Racing TQS Racing is offline
Free Bike Checks

 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Castlereagh Road, BT5 6bh
Posts: 2,159
Rides: raleigh wisp
Mods: cable tie
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
you dont need to remove the cams to remove the shims on the zxr400 if thats what your asking. just slide the followers out of the way and use a magnet.
id advise getting a manual .
and plenty o shims seein as its a zx
TQS Racing is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th May 2010, 12:10 PM #7
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is offline
...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Motorbike: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
chopper chopper is offline
...

chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Rides: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQS Racing View Post
and plenty o shims seein as its a zx
it'll probably be at the stage it cant be shimmed safely (most are at this stage) and needs valves.
chopper is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th May 2010, 12:11 PM #8
addicted to rage's Avatar
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Motorbike: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Modifications: to many
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard

addicted to rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Rides: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Mods: to many
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQS Racing View Post
and plenty o shims seein as its a zx
yea first time i did them on my zxr i needed 12 then 4 more after i ran it for while
addicted to rage is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th May 2010, 12:18 PM #9
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is offline
...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Motorbike: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
chopper chopper is offline
...

chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Rides: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
Re: valve clearance

ive had zxrs need the full set and then more after it was run for a while.
chopper is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th May 2010, 12:23 PM #10
addicted to rage's Avatar
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Motorbike: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Modifications: to many
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard

addicted to rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Rides: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Mods: to many
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
ive had zxrs need the full set and then more after it was run for a while.
i still love them tho
addicted to rage is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th May 2010, 12:26 PM #11
eddiegeary eddiegeary is offline
Novice Racer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: cork
Posts: 44
Motorbike: kawasaki zxr 400/nc 30 streetfighter
eddiegeary eddiegeary is offline
Novice Racer

 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: cork
Posts: 44
Rides: kawasaki zxr 400/nc 30 streetfighter
Re: valve clearance

ok lads will tell him that thanks for the help
eddiegeary is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th May 2010, 12:27 PM #12
padraic2271 padraic2271 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,607
Motorbike: 1098s,600rr,950smr,RMZ450
padraic2271 padraic2271 is offline
Supporter

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,607
Rides: 1098s,600rr,950smr,RMZ450
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
ive had zxrs need the full set and then more after it was run for a while.
Is this a kawasaki thing or just the older zxr's? In other words would be my ZX12R (05) be prone to valve clearance issues?
padraic2271 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th May 2010, 12:32 PM #13
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is offline
...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Motorbike: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
chopper chopper is offline
...

chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Rides: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by padraic2271 View Post
Is this a kawasaki thing or just the older zxr's? In other words would be my ZX12R (05) be prone to valve clearance issues?
if it has zx in it then stick to the schedule or its gonna have probs .
chopper is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th May 2010, 02:51 PM #14
padraic2271 padraic2271 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,607
Motorbike: 1098s,600rr,950smr,RMZ450
padraic2271 padraic2271 is offline
Supporter

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,607
Rides: 1098s,600rr,950smr,RMZ450
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
if it has zx in it then stick to the schedule or its gonna have probs .
Sound, thanks. It has a full service history so should be ok
padraic2271 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th May 2010, 11:19 PM #15
Darren169 Darren169 is offline
Will wheelie for boobs
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,062
Motorbike: Fireblade 1000rr
Modifications: more than alot..
Darren169 Darren169 is offline
Will wheelie for boobs

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,062
Rides: Fireblade 1000rr
Mods: more than alot..
Re: valve clearance

how do you know when clearances need to be done? what are the signs to look for loike?
Darren169 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th May 2010, 01:41 AM #16
addicted to rage's Avatar
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Motorbike: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Modifications: to many
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard

addicted to rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Rides: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Mods: to many
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren169 View Post
how do you know when clearances need to be done? what are the signs to look for loike?
it tells u in the manual clear signs r that the engine wont start when warm and i think they get tappy up top not sure what else
addicted to rage is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th May 2010, 11:57 AM #17
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is offline
...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Motorbike: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
chopper chopper is offline
...

chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Rides: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted to rage View Post
it tells u in the manual clear signs r that the engine wont start when warm and i think they get tappy up top not sure what else
did ya hear that in a dublin shop the amount of stupid bikeshops that have a listen and say "sure its grand and quiet so its ok"

most get quiet up top these days, the whole getting tappy thing reverts back to the days when it was all tappets and locknuts that were in use to adjust valve clearances ,the tappets were softer than the valves thus wore thus the clearances got larger making the top end get noisier.
these days the valves tend to wear and close the gap between the shim and camlobe leading to a quieter engine than its supposed to be , when its like that its dodgy as when the gaps too small the valve wont close enough and the bike starts loosing compression and theres a high chance your burning out valves.
if the bike has started getting harder to start when hot as opposed to cold your already in danger of burning out valves as your already so out of spec that your loosing compression . you should not be leaving the bike to get this bad and it shouldnt be used as a " sign" that clearances need to be done .
clearances are supposed to be done as part of regular maintainance on a motorcycle . do them to the schedule in the manual .
thats as simple as i can explain it , questions?

also worth noting ... theres a good few places out there (as atr will tell ya ) that will take your money and not bother doing the clearances at all !
chopper is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th May 2010, 12:01 PM #18
addicted to rage's Avatar
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Motorbike: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Modifications: to many
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard

addicted to rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Rides: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Mods: to many
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
did ya hear that in a dublin shop the amount of stupid bikeshops that have a listen and say "sure its grand and quiet so its ok"

most get quiet up top these days, the whole getting tappy thing reverts back to the days when it was all tappets and locknuts that were in use to adjust valve clearances ,the tappets were softer than the valves thus wore thus the clearances got larger making the top end get noisier.
these days the valves tend to wear and close the gap between the shim and camlobe leading to a quieter engine than its supposed to be , when its like that its dodgy as when the gaps too small the valve wont close enough and the bike starts loosing compression and theres a high chance your burning out valves.
if the bike has started getting harder to start when hot as opposed to cold your already in danger of burning out valves as your already so out of spec that your loosing compression . you should not be leaving the bike to get this bad and it shouldnt be used as a " sign" that clearances need to be done .
clearances are supposed to be done as part of regular maintainance on a motorcycle . do them to the schedule in the manual .
thats as simple as i can explain it , questions?

also worth noting ... theres a good few places out there (as atr will tell ya ) that will take your money and not bother doing the clearances at all !

so the it must have been the cam chain tapping on my engine i taught it was the fact that i had 1 r 2 shims slightly looser then the spec on ext it tolerance is 0.25 to 0.30 i had them set to 0.32 if i recall that wouldnt cause tapping ???
addicted to rage is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th May 2010, 12:02 PM #19
Darren169 Darren169 is offline
Will wheelie for boobs
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,062
Motorbike: Fireblade 1000rr
Modifications: more than alot..
Darren169 Darren169 is offline
Will wheelie for boobs

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,062
Rides: Fireblade 1000rr
Mods: more than alot..
Re: valve clearance

based on what you just said chopper i think mine need to be done it might take the choke to be fully open when its warm but thats only happened twice in the last two weeks...

any idea roughly how much i'm gonna have to come up with now
Darren169 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th May 2010, 12:16 PM #20
Puff, the Magic Dragon Puff, the Magic Dragon is offline
Shooting the Breeze
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cork City
Posts: 6,441
Motorbike: RGV250, RVF400, 06 Z750
My Motorcycle Pics
Puff, the Magic Dragon Puff, the Magic Dragon is offline
Shooting the Breeze

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cork City
Posts: 6,441
Rides: RGV250, RVF400, 06 Z750
My Motorcycle Pics
Re: valve clearance questions (started as zxr400 questions)

Ill put up pics later of a zxr 400 that dropped a valve to see the damage it cause's . I have 2 engines here it happened to.
Puff, the Magic Dragon is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th May 2010, 12:18 PM #21
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is offline
...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Motorbike: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
chopper chopper is offline
...

chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Rides: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren169 View Post
based on what you just said chopper i think mine need to be done it might take the choke to be fully open when its warm but thats only happened twice in the last two weeks...

any idea roughly how much i'm gonna have to come up with now
know of a midlands area shop that quoted over a grand to do an fzr1000exup ,they said it was a specialist job .

your babys about 160 and shims , ah sure feck it ill do it for 160.

another bit worth noting
a shim can range from 5 euro ( me ) to 15 euros depending on the workshop , bearing in mind some bikes will take anything up to 20 shims it becomes very important what price they are .

theres places too that will give you a price to check clearances (say 160) and then want more if the clearances need adjusting (you aint gonna say no when they have the job half done) and charge for the shims too .try get an all in price or at least a price for checking+adjusting + a price per shim .
also beware the ripp off fuckers that price a job for you and add vat when the bills made up .that shit sucks .
chopper is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th May 2010, 12:20 PM #22
addicted to rage's Avatar
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Motorbike: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Modifications: to many
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard

addicted to rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Rides: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Mods: to many
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
know of a midlands area shop that quoted over a grand to do an fzr1000exup ,they said it was a specialist job .

your babys about 160 and shims , ah sure feck it ill do it for 160.

another bit worth noting
a shim can range from 5 euro ( me ) to 15 euros depending on the workshop , bearing in mind some bikes will take anything up to 20 shims it becomes very important what price they are .

theres places too that will give you a price to check clearances (say 160) and then want more if the clearances need adjusting (you aint gonna say no when they have the job half done) and charge for the shims too .try get an all in price or at least a price for checking+adjusting + a price per shim .
also beware the ripp off fuckers that price a job for you and add vat when the bills made up .that shit sucks .
and cunts that dont actually do the job even tho they said they did
addicted to rage is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th May 2010, 12:24 PM #23
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is offline
...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Motorbike: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
chopper chopper is offline
...

chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Rides: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
Re: valve clearance questions (started as zxr400 questions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
it'll probably be at the stage it cant be shimmed safely (most are at this stage) and needs valves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff, the Magic Dragon View Post
Ill put up pics later of a zxr 400 that dropped a valve to see the damage it cause's . I have 2 engines here it happened to.
its the design of them , the followers push down the spring if too small a shim is used , when it pushes down the spring it frees the pressure holding the valve collets in place and the valve drops and kisses the piston goodbye.

imo if the shim on a zxr 400 sits lower than the recess its sitting in your on dodgy ground. when its at that stage its new valves needed to get the clearances right again.
chopper is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th May 2010, 12:26 PM #24
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is offline
...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Motorbike: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
chopper chopper is offline
...

chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Rides: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted to rage View Post
and cunts that dont actually do the job even tho they said they did
lol, see post 17 above , id mentioned your experience already . worst part of that was how broke you were when the cunt ripped ya off . lucky chopper was there to save the day wha
chopper is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th May 2010, 12:29 PM #25
addicted to rage's Avatar
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Motorbike: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Modifications: to many
addicted to rage addicted to rage is offline
Pennyless bastard

addicted to rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Me Gaff
Posts: 12,200
Rides: Zrx1200r,Xrv 750
Mods: to many
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
lol, see post 17 above , id mentioned your experience already . worst part of that was how broke you were when the cunt ripped ya off . lucky chopper was there to save the day wha
very true ill nout forget that 1
addicted to rage is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th May 2010, 12:33 PM #26
Darren169 Darren169 is offline
Will wheelie for boobs
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,062
Motorbike: Fireblade 1000rr
Modifications: more than alot..
Darren169 Darren169 is offline
Will wheelie for boobs

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,062
Rides: Fireblade 1000rr
Mods: more than alot..
Re: valve clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
know of a midlands area shop that quoted over a grand to do an fzr1000exup ,they said it was a specialist job .

your babys about 160 and shims , ah sure feck it ill do it for 160.

another bit worth noting
a shim can range from 5 euro ( me ) to 15 euros depending on the workshop , bearing in mind some bikes will take anything up to 20 shims it becomes very important what price they are .

theres places too that will give you a price to check clearances (say 160) and then want more if the clearances need adjusting (you aint gonna say no when they have the job half done) and charge for the shims too .try get an all in price or at least a price for checking+adjusting + a price per shim .
also beware the ripp off fuckers that price a job for you and add vat when the bills made up .that shit sucks .
we both know there's only one person i'd let near my bike chopper so i'll organise the funds and give you a bell next week or the week after (have to pay for my decals this week )
Darren169 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:00 AM #27
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is offline
...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Motorbike: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
chopper chopper is offline
...

chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Rides: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
Re: valve clearance questions (started as zxr400 questions)

another little note,robbed of net as it saves typing ....
Background:If valve clearances are too tight, the valves can be seriously damaged by
warping or burning and compression will eventually suffer from lack of proper valve seating. Valves are cooled by resting against the valve seat—if they're open too long, they have insufficient time to rest against their seats and transfer their heat to the cylinder head. On the other hand, if the clearance is too loose, the result will be rough running, loss of power, and excessive wear of the valve train components. Therefore, if you must choose, remember that a little looser is better than tighter.
chopper is offline   ReplyReply
Old 13th June 2010, 12:33 PM #28
Gummy Gummy is offline
WSB Contender
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 509
Motorbike: Fazer 600
Gummy Gummy is offline
WSB Contender

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 509
Rides: Fazer 600
Re: valve clearance questions (started as zxr400 questions)

my bike clicks a lot when cold but it goes away when the engine gets hot. its a rapidy click, click sound. definitly comes from the engine. does that sound like valve clearances?
Gummy is offline   ReplyReply
Old 13th June 2010, 02:38 PM #29
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is offline
...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Motorbike: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
chopper chopper is offline
...

chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fuck knows
Posts: 54,126
Rides: jap brit and euro
My Motorcycle Pics
Re: valve clearance questions (started as zxr400 questions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummy View Post
my bike clicks a lot when cold but it goes away when the engine gets hot. its a rapidy click, click sound. definitly comes from the engine. does that sound like valve clearances?
with the fazer it could be the clearances are loose (unlikely) or the cct/camchain is loose ( much more likely) , how quick does it quieten down .
chopper is offline   ReplyReply
Old 13th June 2010, 02:47 PM #30
Gummy Gummy is offline
WSB Contender
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 509
Motorbike: Fazer 600
Gummy Gummy is offline
WSB Contender

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 509
Rides: Fazer 600
Re: valve clearance questions (started as zxr400 questions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
with the fazer it could be the clearances are loose (unlikely) or the cct/camchain is loose ( much more likely) , how quick does it quieten down .
takes a good while. probably 15-20 minutes. when its fully warmed up it gets quieter. think i can hear the camchain whizzing around and theres a seperate click
Gummy is offline   ReplyReply
Reply

  Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
clearance, questions, started, valve, zxr400

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valve clearance Cornish Alan The Workshop 3 10th February 2010 11:49 PM
valve clearance RoofRider The Workshop 4 9th June 2009 10:12 PM
valve clearance???? speedfreak600 The Workshop 40 14th February 2009 10:17 AM
valve clearance speedboat The Workshop 13 19th October 2008 07:46 PM
Valve Clearance R6 scuff The Workshop 8 13th April 2007 01:38 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:54 PM.

 

Irish Biker's Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection above. .