Motorbike: 2012 Suzuki DL650
Modifications: Stabilisers
My Motorcycle Pics
Supporter

Rides: 2012 Suzuki DL650
Mods: Stabilisers
My Motorcycle Pics
Scooter advice for daughter

I need some advice here as I know little or nothing about these things. The oldest did the leaving and got a course in St Pats Drumcondra. Delighted with all that but the public transport from Portmarnock to there is rubbish. Buses taking at least an hour and seems to be into town and back out. Its 14kms so Im thinking about suggesting a scooter. The Mrs will loose the plot but lets see.

So shes doing the cage theory test on Monday, not sure if I can tick the A1 box or if shell need to do another one to get that on the provisional. Shes 18 but tiny, more muscle on a sparrow so nothing too heavy.

Anyway - whats your 2c. Model suggestions and any ideas of insurance costs? Is security as much an issue on scooters as bikes? Am I mad? Cycling out of Portmarnock is too dangerous as far as Im concerned. Theyre only country lanes, no lights, no shoulders / room and heavy traffic. I figured at least on a 125 scooter she would hold her own on those roads with traffic and then be able to nip across to the college??

Thanks
DAK is offline   ReplyReply
Old 25th August 2018, 11:06 AM #2
MotoGP Legend

Motorbike: fazer
MotoGP Legend

Rides: fazer
Re: Scooter advice for daughter

I think she'll have to do a bike theory test and bike ibt to get a moped. What about getting the Dart?
Blanka is offline   ReplyReply
Old 25th August 2018, 11:19 AM #3
Supporter

My Motorcycle Pics
Supporter

My Motorcycle Pics

Was thinking Dart to Fairview and walk. House is 25 mins down to station and think it’s 10/15 min walk from there to the college. Probably best part of an hour and bus routes seem the same.

Maybe this new bus connects thing or whatever they’re spouting on about might improve things but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Scooter should be 30/40 mins and she’d be independent. I suppose checking to see what parking is available might be a smart idea also.

As she’s 18 she could do the A2 couldn’t she??
Old 25th August 2018, 01:24 PM #4
WSB Contender

Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F
WSB Contender

Rides: Suzuki GSX 600F

Apart form buying a scooter, doing the training, buying the protective gear (helmet, jack-et, boots, leggings) you should also consider the weather.

I commute every day to UCC (about 45 miles each way) and I can tell you its no joke to have to do it in all weather. More than half an hour in rain means in addition to your normal bike gear you need waterproofs. For someone that has never ridden a bike or scooter before, I would imagine the novelty would wear off pretty quick.

also consider that although the bus take more than an hour into Dublin a scooter isnt going to do it much quicker if at all.

Its all down to the individual. She might enjoy riding a scooter despite the weather, and enjoy the additional freedom that a scooter would give her. It's certainly worth considering a scooter or small motorcycle as a means of commuting, but you have to do it with realistic expectations.

Finally if you do decide to go ahead and get the scooter or small motorcycle be aware that motorcycle and scooter theft is common in Ireland. Make sure that she can securely park her scooter both at home and at St Pats. The locks on any motorcycle or scooter are totally insufficient. You need a decent quality chain with a decent quality lock and ideally a ground anchor or something secure that the chain can be attached too. there's a couple of thread here on locks on chains and securing a motorcycle or scooter.
efanton is offline   ReplyReply
Old 25th August 2018, 05:51 PM #5
Novice Racer

Motorbike: R1
Novice Racer

Rides: R1

I'd be inclined to advise my daughter against commuting on 2 wheels, maybe I'm over protective
CatchMe is offline   ReplyReply
Old 25th August 2018, 06:51 PM #6
Veteran Racer

Motorbike: CBR 929, CB750, 125 Rebel
Modifications: the best B&Q have to offe
Veteran Racer

Rides: CBR 929, CB750, 125 Rebel
Mods: the best B&Q have to offe

little or no experience, heading for winter...dealing with the hellhole that is Drumcondra? .. . take the Dart... by all means pick up a twist and go scooter, play with it and get the hang of it in your own time... everything is at risk of being stolen
sidegrinder is offline   ReplyReply
Old 26th August 2018, 05:59 AM #7
MotoGP Star

Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare
MotoGP Star

Rides: dublin bus
Mods: standard adult fare

The stats on bike accidents are skewed as most commuter incidents are not reported. A good number of these involve cages who fail to stop and silent witnesses, in these situations the biker just has to suck it up.

The preferred classic is where fuckwit will pull out in front of a biker, when the biker avoids collision with the culprit but still has a spill, fuckwit will accept no responsibility and will drive off.

I personally know a DS copper who smokes all he confiscates, he would be more than happy to testify your daughter was riding along like jihad johnny prior to any collision or incident. Legend, ps. I love you X chased me for two years before Hanahoe changed his mind for him. That was two years of my life wasted on entertaining a toxic twat who professes to be a fellow biker believe it or not.

Get her the bike for fun learning at her own pace, don't let her commute on it until she can prove she is more than ready.
me2 is online now   ReplyReply
Old 27th August 2018, 10:55 AM #8
Supporter

My Motorcycle Pics
Supporter

My Motorcycle Pics

Sound advice lads - I'll take my time on it and see how she gets on with public transport.
She's been working away even through the LC and saving a few bob all along so I've heard mention of buying a cage but she has no clue of the running costs and apart from that I can't see parking spaces being available at the college

Hopefully she'll get the theory test today and I'll book the bike one for her as soon as possible. At least that way I could get her some training with a pro and see what she makes of it.

I'm concerned about the numpties on the road alright and I'd prefer an alternative but I personally would loose my mind having to spend anything from an hour to 90 mins trying to go 14kms on public transport.
Old 27th August 2018, 11:24 AM #9
Supporter

Motorbike: CRF250RLA
Supporter

Rides: CRF250RLA

First moped I got was to get me from Dundrum to Fas in Loughlinstown - a pure bastard on public transport!
renniks is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th August 2018, 11:28 AM #10
One Armed Git

Motorbike: CTX 700N
Modifications: A few
One Armed Git

Rides: CTX 700N
Mods: A few

Get 102 Dublin bus to Swords then she has a choice of all the 41 buses and 33 buses which all pass right outside St Pats in drumcondra.

Last edited by Kavo; 27th August 2018 at 11:30 AM.
Kavo is offline   ReplyReply
Old 27th August 2018, 03:43 PM #11
Supporter

My Motorcycle Pics
Supporter

My Motorcycle Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavo View Post
Get 102 Dublin bus to Swords then she has a choice of all the 41 buses and 33 buses which all pass right outside St Pats in drumcondra.
WE had discussed that - the random 102 timetable added to the scenic route takes 40+mins to get to Swords, ideal if it was quicker but its an option.

Also thinking about a fold up bike and the dart, not sure how that will go down.

Anyway she passed the cage theory so went to get eye test in Pavillions where she got new glasses a few months back. Specsavers not busy but has to make an appointment to go back on Wednesday. We all know she needs glasses, can't see why they couldn't sign the form stating that and get on with it. Talk about making things hard work.
Old 28th August 2018, 03:42 AM #12
ISB Contender

Motorbike: GPZ500, VF500, SV650
Modifications: Feet forward on VF & GPZ
ISB Contender

Rides: GPZ500, VF500, SV650
Mods: Feet forward on VF & GPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK View Post
I personally would loose my mind having to spend anything from an hour to 90 mins trying to go 14kms on public transport.
I find audio books on the phone great for long distance or time commuting. I don't use them on the bike.
Quasiff is offline   ReplyReply
Old 28th August 2018, 10:51 AM #13
Supporter

Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary on
Supporter

Rides: Heaps, in both senses
Mods: Tyres, when necessary on

Just wondering did ye look at electric bicycles, less hassle re licence insurance etc, id think 14k would be within range and if she did a bit of pedalling as well itd be healthy also, just an idea.
allsorts&oddjobs is offline   ReplyReply
Old 28th August 2018, 12:35 PM #14
Supporter

Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsorts&oddjobs View Post
Just wondering did ye look at electric bicycles, less hassle re licence insurance etc, id think 14k would be within range and if she did a bit of pedalling as well itd be healthy also, just an idea.
You have to peddle them for the electric motor to work, otherwise it is illegal like those petrol-engined yokes
Old 28th August 2018, 01:16 PM #15
Supporter

Motorbike: TDM900, R6, Cub90, RGV250
Modifications: 900 has a scottoiler/cent
Supporter

Rides: TDM900, R6, Cub90, RGV250
Mods: 900 has a scottoiler/cent

Quote:
Originally Posted by renniks View Post
You have to peddle them for the electric motor to work, otherwise it is illegal like those petrol-engined yokes
Look at the amount of illegal "pedal/tuk tuk" taxis around that often don't pedal. Nobody would bat an eylid as long as it didn't have an exhaust and stayed under 25kph.
crispy is offline   ReplyReply
Old 28th August 2018, 03:42 PM #16
WSB Contender

Motorbike: FJR,S10,BT1100,TMax,XMax
WSB Contender

Rides: FJR,S10,BT1100,TMax,XMax

A 125cc scooter would be (much) safer than a pushbike, powered bicycle or 50cc scooter. I use a scooter for going to work and it is the ideal commuter from the point of view of weather protection, visibility, ease, speed and nimbleness in traffic.

I would imagine it would be expensive to get started with training, gear and insurance apart from the cost of the scooter. It might make sense over 3 years usage though.

I would look at Yamaha XMax 125, Yamaha Tricity or Suzuki AN125.
FJRLEE is offline   ReplyReply
Old 28th August 2018, 03:54 PM #17
Supporter

Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy View Post
Look at the amount of illegal "pedal/tuk tuk" taxis around that often don't pedal. Nobody would bat an eylid as long as it didn't have an exhaust and stayed under 25kph.
Yeah, saw a fair few around the city after a night out with the lads recently - I was calling them all the cu*ts if I remember correctly

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers

Tags
advice, daughter, scooter