Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 3rd March 2019, 11:50 AM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,611 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fe650
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
Default Putting a value on my bike!

I had the misfortune of being knocked of the bike last week,through no fault of my own. Iím now in a shitty position of the bike being a total write off. Hereís the problem,I valued the bike at 3250 on my insurance,I canít find a replacement for anywhere near that...so what can I do? Anyone with experience on this please ease my mind
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:14 PM
plumber for hire

Biker.ie Member No. 16432 from cork
10,360 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: 2017 s1000rr
Modifications: brakes, pipes
Default Re: Putting a value on my bike!

Details of bike?
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:22 PM
Veteran Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

1992 cbr 900...in black,a very original bike down to the screen and uncut mudguard,bodywork was in excellent shape,33k mls. Only genuine parts used for maintenance,always ran with genuine filters etc.
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:22 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,766 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

What value you declared I would guess would be between you and your own insurance company, if you were knocked off and claiming through the other part you make a claim for what it will cost you to be back on the road on a similar condition bike plus all new gear, that's before discussing any other compensation, if they say no then you ask for it in writing so you can hand it to a solicitor to deal with and let them know that you will be adding that to the claim, they usually get a bit more flexible after that
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:48 PM
bike broke

Biker.ie Member No. 30720 from Offaly
2,226 posts since Jan 2013
Motorbike: Busa, zx7/9r, bandit....
Modifications: inflatable doll underseat

last time this happened to me and the insurance company started getting a bit cuntish.......told them ill be claiming for a loaner bike and that my arm was quite painfull from the incident....... week later had a cheque
Old 3rd March 2019, 01:19 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29619 from Cork City
2,197 posts since Sep 2012
Motorbike: ZZR1100, Bandit 650SA

Originally Posted by DavyH
I had the misfortune of being knocked of the bike last week...

You were knocked off by someone?

through no fault of my own.
So the other party was at fault?

Here’s the problem,I valued the bike at 3250 on my insurance
That should be irrelevant unless you were making a claim
against your own insurer.

You probably need some legal advice. Has the other party admitted
liability? Did you get insurance details? Any witnesses? Guards involved?
Old 3rd March 2019, 03:09 PM
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by kwackquack
What value you declared I would guess would be between you and your own insurance company, if you were knocked off and claiming through the other part you make a claim for what it will cost you to be back on the road on a similar condition bike plus all new gear, that's before discussing any other compensation, if they say no then you ask for it in writing so you can hand it to a solicitor to deal with and let them know that you will be adding that to the claim, they usually get a bit more flexible after that
That sounds reasonable enough,hopefully thereís no issues on that front. Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 03:13 PM
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Confusion
You were knocked off by someone?

So the other party was at fault?

That should be irrelevant unless you were making a claim
against your own insurer.

You probably need some legal advice. Has the other party admitted
liability? Did you get insurance details? Any witnesses? Guards involved?
Yeah Iím covered from all angles as such,thereís a witness alright. Not sure what he saw or where he saw it from but the scene of the accident speaks for itself regardless. Just being the weekend and having no contact with solicitors etc Iím a bit freaked about the bike being so fucked,thanks man
Old 3rd March 2019, 04:09 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 18656
1,288 posts since Sep 2009
Motorbike: ltd1000 zx12
Modifications: just me

While youve the wkend to yourself google and print off all the similar bikes to your own and their prises..thinking you'll have to go to another country to get one in that shape
Old 3rd March 2019, 04:22 PM
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by kad
While youve the wkend to yourself google and print off all the similar bikes to your own and their prises..thinking you'll have to go to another country to get one in that shape
Thatís actually a pretty good idea,Iíll get on that. Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 11:57 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5424
1,326 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: S1000R
Modifications: Clean...ish

The value you've declared is arbitrary, as mentioned above start collecting examples of bikes in similar condition to yours pre-accident, even if they're more expensive.

Get legal advice, engage a solicitor who has history/understanding of motorcycle accident claims. Provide them with the examples you've collected to show the actual cost of getting you a similar bike in age/condition.

Don't forget to claim for your gear as well.

If the other party has admitted liability, I'd be getting onto someone like Celtic Motorcycles, renting a 1200GS to keep mobile and sending the bill to the other side.
Old 7th March 2019, 09:50 PM
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Kaos Theory
The value you've declared is arbitrary, as mentioned above start collecting examples of bikes in similar condition to yours pre-accident, even if they're more expensive.

Get legal advice, engage a solicitor who has history/understanding of motorcycle accident claims. Provide them with the examples you've collected to show the actual cost of getting you a similar bike in age/condition.

Don't forget to claim for your gear as well.

If the other party has admitted liability, I'd be getting onto someone like Celtic Motorcycles, renting a 1200GS to keep mobile and sending the bill to the other side.
Thanks for taking the time there. So Iím still in limbo,only just over a week now but shouldnít be any question over liability.....however nothing has been confirmed or denied on her end yet. Waiting on the Gaurds report which could be anywhere up to 3 months! Canít ride a bike just yet,torn ligaments in the shoulder so the arm ainít much use till thatís right....

My insurance have had an engineer down,hers are due to look at it today or tomorrow,so hopefully early next week Iíll hear something back and go from there. Pain in the chestnuts but Iíll truck on with it and hopefully itíll be a satisfactory result without too much more bullshit
Old 7th March 2019, 10:26 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 38635
136 posts since Oct 2018
Motorbike: GSX250R
Modifications: Nein

Claim for the shoulder if you aren't already, that's what insurance is for and as others have said if they start to act up over a few hundred tell them you are going to see a doctor about a back pain that has started.
Old 8th March 2019, 12:59 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 21867 from Dublin
1,599 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: giant mtb
Modifications: front disc brakes

Just checking - you have reported this to the guards right? A lot of things can change if she / insurance companies want to be cunts.

Report it asap if you haven't already. Other than that don't forget to replace your damaged gear - don't be greedy, replace what was damaged.
Old 8th March 2019, 08:37 AM
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by manbearpig
Just checking - you have reported this to the guards right? A lot of things can change if she / insurance companies want to be cunts.

Report it asap if you haven't already. Other than that don't forget to replace your damaged gear - don't be greedy, replace what was damaged.
So thatíd be all of it bar my underpants and socks then yeah Gaurds are up to speed on it just a slow process now ,has to be signed off by the inspector before I can make any moves now
Old 8th March 2019, 09:18 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37721 from Co. Limerick
48 posts since Oct 2017
Motorbike: Kawasaki Ninja 650

Pity they didn't admit liability from the start, would speed things up. My brother was rear ended 2 months ago, got a solicitor and the cheque was gotten last week but they admitted they were in the wrong (no choice in coming from behind really). Solicitors got an assessor in and other insurance company didn't contest the figure he came up with, including car rental/storage...
Old 8th March 2019, 09:28 AM
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by TuneR
Pity they didn't admit liability from the start, would speed things up. My brother was rear ended 2 months ago, got a solicitor and the cheque was gotten last week but they admitted they were in the wrong (no choice in coming from behind really). Solicitors got an assessor in and other insurance company didn't contest the figure he came up with, including car rental/storage...
Yeah I agree,she was very apologetic and admitted in front of half a dozen people that she didnít look or use an indicator,but Iím not so sure of what she said to the Gaurds .....you have to be grateful when you walk away from these things but the expenses are racking up and I canít work till I get the all clear,which has varied from a week to 12 weeks....no one is quite sure how badly damaged the shoulder is
Old 8th March 2019, 02:25 PM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
19,429 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!

I had the misfortune of being knocked of the bike last week,through no fault of my own. Iím now in a shitty position of the bike being a total write off. Hereís the problem,I valued the bike at 3250 on my insurance,I canít find a replacement for anywhere near that...so what can I do? Anyone with experience on this please ease my mind
Ask your insurance company to find a replacement bike. By law you are entitled to do this, the whole purpose of insurance is to put you back in the exact same position you were in before the accident. I used to work in the cage game and part of it was trying to source replacements for them.
Old 8th March 2019, 04:52 PM
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by PJ
Ask your insurance company to find a replacement bike. By law you are entitled to do this, the whole purpose of insurance is to put you back in the exact same position you were in before the accident. I used to work in the cage game and part of it was trying to source replacements for them.
Thatís exactly what I needed to hear,thanks man
Old 8th March 2019, 05:00 PM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
19,429 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!

Thatís exactly what I needed to hear,thanks man
You don't have to accept what they offer you if you are not happy either.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
bike, putting