Old 19th February 2019, 10:20 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 38512 from Dublin, Glasnevin
64 posts since Aug 2018
Motorbike: Anything with 2 wheels
Modifications: stock
Default Route Planning - Europe Tips?

Hi Guys,

I am planning a Europe Trip for 2020, and I know there is all the info on the world already about routes and what not but I wanted raw recommendations from the members of bikers.ie

Tips on places with spectacular views,places to see,eat,smell you name it I want to hear about it, anecdotes and all that jazz!

I am hoping to head for 14-21 days not sure yet?! Austria and a bit of germany are on the list anyway and north of Spain and France too but unsure if I will get it all covered! First trip abroad too btw.

Tips and tricks all welcome too Cheers!
Shoot!

I plan to ferry over to UK and into France.
Old 20th February 2019, 05:05 AM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 31168 from North Dublin
907 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: Tracer9-VFR800X-Caponord
Modifications: Via Est Vita
Default Re: Route Planning - Europe Tips?

In Germany B500 road/black forest. Spain - definitely worth going through the Pyrenees mountains, read this blog about what roads to take, where to stay and to eat: https://thespanishbiker.wordpress.com/
Old 20th February 2019, 08:32 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 12270 from Celbridge
488 posts since Sep 2008
Motorbike: Triumpg Tiger 800 vfr800
Modifications: Everything Honda had at the time

Also guys what do you use to plan your trips on for gpx files(don't mention basecamp) AS I hate it

I use Tyretotravel which has issues

I have recently discovered this one Kurviger - Dein Motorrad-Routenplaner which is very good for twisty roads
Has anyone got any more easy to use ones
Old 20th February 2019, 09:26 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3680
277 posts since Sep 2006

The 308 DeutcheAlpenstrasse from Lindau on Lake Constance to Berchtesgaden in Bavaria.

Goes through Garmisch Partenkirchen; great town for a two night break. Atlas Post Hotel.

Also goes through Fussen

Also Berchtesgaden

Just a class ribbon of quiet perfect tarmac with spectacular views.

Last time we went we did early Dublin /Holyhead, heads down and trudged on motorway to Hull for evening sailing to Rotterdam.

Then couple of days to travel down via Moselle valley & Black Forest to Switzerland to take the Alpine road.

Last edited by Ultrap3; 20th February 2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 20th February 2019, 10:42 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8193 from Kilcullen, Co. Kildare
420 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: SV1000S and R1200GS
Modifications: Lots n lots

Jesus, where to start!

Consider using Overlanders to ship your bike to southern Germany - it takes away from the whole 'road trip' feel but it means you have your bike in the places you want to be for the maximum amount of time. Saves wear and tear on the bike, and does away with hours and hours of motorway riding.

Highlights are so many you won't get them all in one trip. But that's ok - just means you can save some for next time!

B500 south from Baden Baden is lovely. But after Wolfach, the traffic gets really heavy so best avoided. Luckily pretty much every road around the B500 is also awesome so you're spoilt for choice.

Switzerland has some awesome passes - but it's a pricey place to ride/stay/eat so maybe consider it for another time.

The Alpine passes are breathtaking - Stelvio, Silvretta, Timmeljosch, Gavia the list goes on. Some, like the Gavia are technical enough so make sure you are comfortable on tight hairpin roads.

Go to the Dolomites in Italy - it's a real treat. Well worth basing yourself there for a couple of days and taking in the passes nearby. Sella, Gardena, Pordoi and Giau are all doable in one day. Arraba is a decent place to base yourself.

If time allows it, consider the Grossglockner pass in Austria, it's a bit further east than the others mentioned but well worth the trip.

Garmisch and Fussen are both lovely towns - that general area of southern Germany is lovely to ride through.
Old 20th February 2019, 11:58 AM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,805 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.

Buy Europe on a shoestring, very good euro guide for places to sleep eat and drink as well as a lot of sights and sounds.
Its the bible for Europe and costs about 25e.
Old 20th February 2019, 06:00 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 31168 from North Dublin
907 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: Tracer9-VFR800X-Caponord
Modifications: Via Est Vita

Originally Posted by johnny b
Buy Europe on a shoestring, very good euro guide for places to sleep eat and drink as well as a lot of sights and sounds.
Its the bible for Europe and costs about 25e.
Thanks, looks interesting and useful.
Old 20th February 2019, 09:56 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

64 posts since Aug 2018

Originally Posted by tankas
Thanks, looks interesting and useful.
+1 I will check it out.
Old 20th February 2019, 09:58 PM
Novice Racer

64 posts since Aug 2018

Originally Posted by tankas
In Germany B500 road/black forest. Spain - definitely worth going through the Pyrenees mountains, read this blog about what roads to take, where to stay and to eat: https://thespanishbiker.wordpress.com/
Those two look absolutely on the ball, have them down as certs thanks for the suggestion.
Old 20th February 2019, 10:01 PM
Novice Racer

64 posts since Aug 2018

Originally Posted by ronaldo
Also guys what do you use to plan your trips on for gpx files(don't mention basecamp) AS I hate it

I use Tyretotravel which has issues

I have recently discovered this one Kurviger - Dein Motorrad-Routenplaner which is very good for twisty roads
Has anyone got any more easy to use ones
Are these sorta like Google Maps? Where by you pre plan your route and it knows where to take you or...
Old 20th February 2019, 10:04 PM
Novice Racer

64 posts since Aug 2018

Originally Posted by Ultrap3
The 308 DeutcheAlpenstrasse from Lindau on Lake Constance to Berchtesgaden in Bavaria.

Goes through Garmisch Partenkirchen; great town for a two night break. Atlas Post Hotel.

Also goes through Fussen

Also Berchtesgaden

Just a class ribbon of quiet perfect tarmac with spectacular views.

Last time we went we did early Dublin /Holyhead, heads down and trudged on motorway to Hull for evening sailing to Rotterdam.

Then couple of days to travel down via Moselle valley & Black Forest to Switzerland to take the Alpine road.
Noted and taken down, thanks man!. I might do that via Moselle & Black Forest and go through a bit of Switzerland definitley not a bad shout. The wealth of knowledge on this site is Fantastic!!!
Old 20th February 2019, 10:16 PM
Novice Racer

64 posts since Aug 2018

Originally Posted by Boots2008
Jesus, where to start!

Consider using Overlanders to ship your bike to southern Germany - it takes away from the whole 'road trip' feel but it means you have your bike in the places you want to be for the maximum amount of time. Saves wear and tear on the bike, and does away with hours and hours of motorway riding.

Highlights are so many you won't get them all in one trip. But that's ok - just means you can save some for next time!

B500 south from Baden Baden is lovely. But after Wolfach, the traffic gets really heavy so best avoided. Luckily pretty much every road around the B500 is also awesome so you're spoilt for choice.

Switzerland has some awesome passes - but it's a pricey place to ride/stay/eat so maybe consider it for another time.

The Alpine passes are breathtaking - Stelvio, Silvretta, Timmeljosch, Gavia the list goes on. Some, like the Gavia are technical enough so make sure you are comfortable on tight hairpin roads.

Go to the Dolomites in Italy - it's a real treat. Well worth basing yourself there for a couple of days and taking in the passes nearby. Sella, Gardena, Pordoi and Giau are all doable in one day. Arraba is a decent place to base yourself.

If time allows it, consider the Grossglockner pass in Austria, it's a bit further east than the others mentioned but well worth the trip.

Garmisch and Fussen are both lovely towns - that general area of southern Germany is lovely to ride through.
Where to start is right!

I've heard good things about overlanders, will consider that for sure, its nice to plan it all early.

B500

Switzerland is on the cards, I will look into that more.

Ill check out the alpines certainly.

Arraba in Italy! quickly googled, it looks an awesome little town there alright! if not on this trip definitely the next.

I'd actually really like to get to that part of Austria tbh, hopefully I'll be able to swing over when Im calculating the mileage and what not!!

Southern Germany will be hit!

Nice one thanks for the advice,you've seen a lot of Europe savage!
Anything I should know about tolls? or dangerous places to avoid or anything like that? Did you use Google Maps to navigate everywhere?
Old 21st February 2019, 08:24 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3680
277 posts since Sep 2006

In Switzerland & Austria you need a vignette to use the motorways, hefty fines for not having it & the Swiss are Nazis about speed.

No tolls in Germany, except for the odd tunnel.

Autostrade in Italy have them.

With regard to safety, never had a problem in Europe with the caveat that normal common sense applies with regard to securing & parking the bike & where you go & how you behave
Old 21st February 2019, 10:20 AM
ISB Contender

420 posts since Feb 2008

Originally Posted by Ultrap3
In Switzerland & Austria you need a vignette to use the motorways, hefty fines for not having it & the Swiss are Nazis about speed.

No tolls in Germany, except for the odd tunnel.

Autostrade in Italy have them.

With regard to safety, never had a problem in Europe with the caveat that normal common sense applies with regard to securing & parking the bike & where you go & how you behave
Austrian vignette is cheap as chips and you just buy one in a shop near the border. Swiss one is a good bit pricier I do believe. And don't get caught without one - it's simply not worth the expense. And do not get caught speeding in Switzerland unless your part of that family syndicate in Naul!

Some of the alpine pass roads charge a toll but in every case it's worth every penny!
Old 21st February 2019, 01:54 PM
Novice Racer

64 posts since Aug 2018

Cheers, and how about travelling between european countries do I need any documentation or will a passport suffice?
Old 21st February 2019, 02:33 PM
ISB Contender

420 posts since Feb 2008

Originally Posted by Salvadore Cammarano
Cheers, and how about travelling between european countries do I need any documentation or will a passport suffice?
Bring a copy of your Registration cert, your insurance cert, and holiday insurance cover (make sure it includes biking). Passport gets you through border controls - mostly you won't even have to stop, but you may be asked to provide it.

Get yourself a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), it's free and entitles you to free or reduced cost healthcare in another European country - linky here - https://www2.hse.ie/services/ehic/ehic.html
Old 21st February 2019, 02:58 PM
Novice Racer

64 posts since Aug 2018

Originally Posted by Boots2008
Bring a copy of your Registration cert, your insurance cert, and holiday insurance cover (make sure it includes biking). Passport gets you through border controls - mostly you won't even have to stop, but you may be asked to provide it.

Get yourself a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), it's free and entitles you to free or reduced cost healthcare in another European country - linky here - https://www2.hse.ie/services/ehic/ehic.html
I will do all those thanks actually think I have the EHIC!

Savage help from ye lads! lots of notes being taken.

Actually worth mentioning I heard of a fella getting stopped in France for not having reflective stickers on his helmet?! He supposedly got a stern warning for it, lucky he didnt get fined im told. Any one else have experience of that?
Old 21st February 2019, 07:35 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 1913 from Limerick
2,176 posts since Jun 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Honda Africa Twin
Modifications: Bits & Pieces

Got pulled over in France & got a bolloking for not having the registration (log book) of bike with me.

Thinks you're supposed to carry disposable breathalyzers with you in France...not sure bout other countries.

Heading over to Europe in May & doing 13 countries over 2 weeks. Just setting the chancy young wan to avoid motorways & tolls & taking in the country side.

Used Google maps for routes, distances etc. Booked accommodation beforehand, even though some will say to do it on the fly. I like to have things sorted before I go.

The journey is the adventure not the destination.
Old 21st February 2019, 08:09 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 9109 from Cork
277 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: GSXR 1000

Originally Posted by Salvadore Cammarano
Hi Guys,

I am planning a Europe Trip for 2020, and I know there is all the info on the world already about routes and what not but I wanted raw recommendations from the members of bikers.ie

Tips on places with spectacular views,places to see,eat,smell you name it I want to hear about it, anecdotes and all that jazz!

I am hoping to head for 14-21 days not sure yet?! Austria and a bit of germany are on the list anyway and north of Spain and France too but unsure if I will get it all covered! First trip abroad too btw.

Tips and tricks all welcome too Cheers!
Shoot!

I plan to ferry over to UK and into France.
I would recommend Overlanders to ship the bike to Memmingen. Did this two years ago and doing it again this year. Drove from Cork to Folkestone the year before and the motorway is a balls and wastes a day. Once you’re in Memmingen you’re an hour from Austria and two from Switzerland.

I would recommend basing yourself in Andermatt if going to Switzerland. Lots of great mountain passes all round. Switzerland does get expensive. Do not use a debit card in the self service petrol stations as they take a charge from your card (€150) and refund it a few days later.

Weather can get very hot in Italy so bring gear for that. Weather in the mountains during the summer months can be wet so bring gear for that too.

I’m heading to the dolomites this year and shipping the bike to Memmingen again. Here’s a link to our trip two years ago
Old 21st February 2019, 09:35 PM
Novice Racer

64 posts since Aug 2018

Originally Posted by R.M
Got pulled over in France & got a bolloking for not having the registration (log book) of bike with me.

Thinks you're supposed to carry disposable breathalyzers with you in France...not sure bout other countries.

Heading over to Europe in May & doing 13 countries over 2 weeks. Just setting the chancy young wan to avoid motorways & tolls & taking in the country side.

Used Google maps for routes, distances etc. Booked accommodation beforehand, even though some will say to do it on the fly. I like to have things sorted before I go.

The journey is the adventure not the destination.
Ahh really! I wont forget that so!
Havent heard that before you sure on that I suppose I will give it a quick google

Nice one man as ya said journey not the destination!!

I think ill prebook and go on the fly too, bring a tent with me as well surely save a few pound.
Id say google maps should surely suffice as a gps system not worth investing in other chancy young wan or software like?

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Ride-out meets and events

Tags
europe, planning, route, tips