Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Ride-out meets and events

Old 25th February 2019, 10:07 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8193 from Kilcullen, Co. Kildare
421 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: SV1000S and R1200GS
Modifications: Lots n lots
Default Re: Route Planning - Europe Tips?

Originally Posted by Caffeine
Aaare you sure you want to do that? You will have a massive amount of footage that can take a very long time to go trim down.
+1 - last thing you want to do is have endless hours of footage to trawl through. Best option is to have a camera which you can easily start and stop recording while on the move. That way you end up with lots of short clips, with something of interest in each one (be it s-cenery, nice tarmac, hot locals etc.). Way easier to compile that sort of footage into a decent trip video after you come home. Fit a USB charging port to your bike, that way you can have the GoPro (or other brand) charging while you tuck into lunch. Another option is a decent charging bank - cheap as chips nowadays.

I shot everything on a now old GoPro Hero 3 - once it does 1080 at 60fps it's more than enough for the likes of YouTube - pick up a second hand one for little money these days...
Old 25th February 2019, 10:07 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 38512 from Dublin, Glasnevin
65 posts since Aug 2018
Motorbike: Anything with 2 wheels
Modifications: stock

Originally Posted by Boots2008
+1 - last thing you want to do is have endless hours of footage to trawl through. Best option is to have a camera which you can easily start and stop recording while on the move. That way you end up with lots of short clips, with something of interest in each one (be it s-cenery, nice tarmac, hot locals etc.). Way easier to compile that sort of footage into a decent trip video after you come home. Fit a USB charging port to your bike, that way you can have the GoPro (or other brand) charging while you tuck into lunch. Another option is a decent charging bank - cheap as chips nowadays.

I shot everything on a now old GoPro Hero 3 - once it does 1080 at 60fps it's more than enough for the likes of YouTube - pick up a second hand one for little money these days...
mm yeah good points from the two of you.
Ill use my Power Bank no need for fitting USB with the compact sizes they come in now 20000mah+

But another one!

How much gear should I bring? 2 pants 2 jackets use and wash be enough with some regular jeans and tees, 21 day trip. Where do yaz wash it all
Old 26th February 2019, 09:22 AM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 31168 from North Dublin
907 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: Tracer9-VFR800X-Caponord
Modifications: Via Est Vita

I was taking showers with my merino wool base layer and drying overnight when travelling with leather. Someone suggested to get a pair of casual t-shirts & jocks (cheapish, penneys) for starts and then keep replacing it from supermarkets etc
Old 26th February 2019, 09:26 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8193 from Kilcullen, Co. Kildare
421 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: SV1000S and R1200GS
Modifications: Lots n lots

Originally Posted by Salvadore Cammarano
mm yeah good points from the two of you.
Ill use my Power Bank no need for fitting USB with the compact sizes they come in now 20000mah+

But another one!

How much gear should I bring? 2 pants 2 jockss use and wash be enough with some regular jeans and tees, 21 day trip. Where do yaz wash it all
I brought separate gear for on and off the bike. Decent wicking gear to wear under leathers make a big difference and merino socks help keep feet dry even in warmer weather. After parking up at the end of a hot day rinse all your undergear in the shower and it'll be dry the next morning.

You're only wearing yer civvies at the end of each day so they last longer between washes than normal. Buy cheap throwaway jocks/sock/tshirts - saves ye having to lug smelly clothes around with ya. Plenty of chances to stock up along the way if ye run low...

On a 21 day trip deffo factor in a 2 or even 3 night stay somewhere. Gives you a chance to have a bike-free day to chill out, see the sights/sample the locals . Find a laundrette and you can give everything a decent wash if needs be.
Old 26th February 2019, 11:35 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 38512 from Dublin, Glasnevin
65 posts since Aug 2018
Motorbike: Anything with 2 wheels
Modifications: stock

Originally Posted by Boots2008
I brought separate gear for on and off the bike. Decent wicking gear to wear under leathers make a big difference and merino socks help keep feet dry even in warmer weather. After parking up at the end of a hot day rinse all your undergear in the shower and it'll be dry the next morning.

You're only wearing yer civvies at the end of each day so they last longer between washes than normal. Buy cheap throwaway jocks/sock/tshirts - saves ye having to lug smelly clothes around with ya. Plenty of chances to stock up along the way if ye run low...

On a 21 day trip deffo factor in a 2 or even 3 night stay somewhere. Gives you a chance to have a bike-free day to chill out, see the sights/sample the locals . Find a laundrette and you can give everything a decent wash if needs be.
Brilliant. Thanks a lot for the advice!
Old 8th March 2019, 03:54 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 11545 from tallaght livin in rathwire
160 posts since Aug 2008
Motorbike: gsxr race bike,Zx6rr
Modifications: NO garda

Great tips here lads, planning a tour at the minute and the amount of info is perfect

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Ride-out meets and events

Tags
europe, planning, route, tips