Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 14th January 2019, 05:24 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 32009 from dublin
41 posts since Aug 2013
Motorbike: Yaymaha vira-go
Default Bike trip ideas : /

Howaya lads, so looking at booking for France this year again, had a lovely time 2 years ago, but was wondering would any of you have recommendations for countries with cheap bike rentals?
Thinking maybe to fly somewhere different and rent if it doesn’t cost a fortune.
I was wondering somewhere like Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, somewhere that is cheap in general. I wouldn’t try it in the upper cost European countries, would just drive from France if I was going to do that.

Any ideas?
Old 14th January 2019, 09:19 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,537 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS
Default Re: Bike trip ideas : /

If you're going for a long period of time, I think it always comes up cheaper to ship your own bike unless you're renting a scooter or something like that and you can't beat having your own yoke for the trip...
Old 14th January 2019, 01:28 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 25614
23 posts since Mar 2011
Motorbike: Yamaha Fazer

Ship the bike to Memmingen near Munich with Overlanders and get a cheap flight. You're then very close to Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary.
Old 14th January 2019, 07:17 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 1913 from Limerick
2,111 posts since Jun 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Honda Africa Twin
Modifications: Bits & Pieces

Why not ride your own bike? Nothing like it. You know your bike, so that takes the worries out of the journey (perhaps?)
Old 14th January 2019, 07:32 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4444 from dublin
2,305 posts since Jan 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: KTM 1290 S adventure
Modifications: some

A group of us doing france for moto gp in May ferry out of dublin less than 200 return bike and rider inc cabin at the moment on new WB Yeats ship...
Old 15th January 2019, 02:41 AM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

41 posts since Aug 2013

Was thinking for just a few days really, 5 nights or something like that. How on earth did you get a cabin for under 200!!? Cheapest ticket I can see is 150 with bike, but cabin for one is like another 70 each way! Brought a €10 air mattress with me last time! : D

Germany/Czech Republic sounds nice but would be expensive shipping the bike, no? ‘‘Tis only a little 250 so it’s fine for cruising around the little roads in Normandy, wasn’t going to take it on any major motorway trips
(For those who think get a bigger bike, I’ve had them! Just like this little yoke at the moment!)

I’ve got a quote for a bike rental in central Turkey for €200, getting tempted at that!
Old 15th January 2019, 08:41 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by iqm View Post
Was thinking for just a few days really, 5 nights or something like that. How on earth did you get a cabin for under 200!!? Cheapest ticket I can see is 150 with bike, but cabin for one is like another 70 each way! Brought a €10 air mattress with me last time! : D

Germany/Czech Republic sounds nice but would be expensive shipping the bike, no? ‘‘Tis only a little 250 so it’s fine for cruising around the little roads in Normandy, wasn’t going to take it on any major motorway trips
(For those who think get a bigger bike, I’ve had them! Just like this little yoke at the moment!)

I’ve got a quote for a bike rental in central Turkey for €200, getting tempted at that!
Missus and myself are going to the alps this year and shipping the bike actually came up cheaper than riding all the way down, with the ferries and all. Plus, I don't have to spend a few days doing boring motorways just crossing countries. Pick up my bike after a short flight and straight to enjoy pussie and holidays.

Reach out to overlanders and compare prices, might be something to consider.
Old 15th January 2019, 09:49 AM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
34,143 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

Originally Posted by RTV View Post
Missus and myself are going to the alps this year and shipping the bike actually came up cheaper than riding all the way down, with the ferries and all. Plus, I don't have to spend a few days doing boring motorways just crossing countries. Pick up my bike after a short flight and straight to enjoy pussie and holidays.

She sounds very broad-minded
Old 15th January 2019, 11:18 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4444 from dublin
2,305 posts since Jan 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: KTM 1290 S adventure
Modifications: some

Originally Posted by iqm View Post

Worked out at 690 for 4 bikes inc cabin return. 172 a head. Getting 2 x 2 berth cabins on return trip. Sale ends today Tuesday. .
Old 15th January 2019, 04:11 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

41 posts since Aug 2013

I guess the key is travel in numbers, I’d have to book a 4berth room by myself cause all the others are booked out!
Old 15th January 2019, 04:37 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 34195 from Guess? Boi, like.
230 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: B.M Double U
Modifications: Just add motion lotion

Originally Posted by RTV View Post

I looked into this, from Cork as well, and it was pretty pricey, so ended up with the ferry to Spain instead.

Can I ask how you worked out flights, as I didn't see any from Cork to Memmingen.
Old 16th January 2019, 08:40 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Southern Rider View Post
I looked into this, from Cork as well, and it was pretty pricey, so ended up with the ferry to Spain instead.

Can I ask how you worked out flights, as I didn't see any from Cork to Memmingen.
Direct from Dubland or jump across the UK, whatever suits you best. Bus is a bit of a drag...

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
bike, ideas, trip