Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 9th February 2019, 10:06 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 18969 from Cork
487 posts since Oct 2009
Motorbike: CB650F
Question Scratch repair

Can anyone recommend someone around cork who does scratch repairs on bikes ? I have a scratch on tank from small stone hitting it. It's Minor but really annoying.
Old 9th February 2019, 12:00 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4372 from DUBLIN
5,739 posts since Jan 2007
Motorbike: Suzuki DL650 V STROM..
Default Re: Scratch repair

Originally Posted by jimrc View Post
Can anyone recommend someone around cork who does scratch repairs on bikes ? I have a scratch on tank from small stone hitting it. It's Minor but really annoying.

Just put a sticker or logo over it, these dent repair guys cant do anything for you that involves painting, and its extremely difficult to match bike paint properly on tanks , especially any metallic paint.

I recently had a quote from a good quality painter for 500 on a cage just for a scratch..........150 paint 350 labour.....go figure. and i know him and have used him before...if you are bothered by minor scratch, you may be very upset by a poorly executed job............think on...
Old 9th February 2019, 01:29 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29352
1,223 posts since Jul 2012
Motorbike: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!

Stickers work great on frame dents and cracks too !
Old 9th February 2019, 05:33 PM
Buswald Inmate

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
8,756 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary on

stickers are ok if they look as if theyre meant as stickers and not just hiding something , one sticker on an otherwise clean bike is obvious, if its a small scratch it might just be in the clearcoat, theres scratch remover kits in aldi at the minute, maybe try that first? only good for small scratches or marks though, wont replace paint.
Old 9th February 2019, 06:51 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
585 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

depends on how deep the scratch is and the colour of the paint. I had a scratch on a mini clubman (old type) I had that had a custom paint job. Someone suggested one of those pens you get in halfords. Of course I disregarded that completely until I could find no other option but a very expensive partial respray. With nothing to loose I tried the scratch pen.

it worked pretty well, yes you would still notice the scratch if you were looking for it and knew where to look, but it worked surprisingly better than I expected.
I kept applying the pen until the scratch was filled and then applied a couple of coats of wax and polish.

Its not those pens that have liquid paint in them, it was more of a hard wax that was similar colour to the paint that has been scratched.
Old 10th February 2019, 10:46 AM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 18969 from Cork
487 posts since Oct 2009
Motorbike: CB650F

Originally Posted by allsorts&oddjobs View Post
stickers are ok if they look as if theyre meant as stickers and not just hiding something , one sticker on an otherwise clean bike is obvious, if its a small scratch it might just be in the clearcoat, theres scratch remover kits in aldi at the minute, maybe try that first? only good for small scratches or marks though, wont replace paint.
Thanks but it's gone right through paint. It's a matte black gunpowder colour. Even the manufacturer touch up paint doesn't match well.
Old 10th February 2019, 07:22 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32047 from Bray
578 posts since Aug 2013
Motorbike: BusaK8 Versys650 Blade 08
Modifications: sack n' crack wax.

Get the closest match you can, do the best job you can and then...forget about it! Small scratches happen and won't deter from the riding experience.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
repair, scratch