Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 29th January 2019, 05:19 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28477 from Dublin
398 posts since Mar 2012
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: RS125, CBR 250rr & 600rr
Default Category D Write Off

Looking for some advice from you learned people

Long story short, I was involved in an accident and came off the bike. Driver and 3rd parties insurance has admitted full liability. I left my bike into garage for estimate and came in at 3,400. The 3rd parties assessor has valued my bike at 4,250. As a result the two options I have been given are 1. write the bike off as cat D and receive a check for value of bike or 2. keep bike and take check for 2,300. The damage is just cosmetic and I would like to keep the bike.

My question is if I keep the bike does the write off get logged and flagged on any history checks going forward?

Cheers
Old 29th January 2019, 05:47 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
8,748 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary on
Default Re: Category D Write Off

ask them straight up, i doubt if they do as they are offering a payout for repairs.
Old 29th January 2019, 06:03 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29352
1,223 posts since Jul 2012
Motorbike: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!

If there's 3k damage, go back to them for the 3k, otherwise they pay 4k. I'm sure there's a few lads on here who've gone through this process. You didn't cause the crash, maybe the bikes worth more than the assessor says, how does it compare to similar bikes currently for sale ?
Old 29th January 2019, 06:25 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 10718 from wexford
1,730 posts since Jun 2008
Motorbike: few bits n bobs
Modifications: few

What was ur bike worth to u before accident.do not settle for less I know a mate who paid 5 k for a bike car ran in to him insurers would only offer him 4K so he said he was developing pains in his back and his bike gear needed replacing they paid out nearly 6k,and his back pain disappeared like magic moral of it all is u tell them what u want for it or else ,as for taking money to repair value will drop on repaired bike regardless of how good it’s repaired
Old 29th January 2019, 07:18 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
584 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

estimate for repairs come in a €3,400, but you say its just cosmetic?
Sounds a little bit more than cosmetic to me.

I would imagine to replace the fairings on one side of a bike would cost less than that.
If its more than damage to one side then what else has been affected, How do you damage fairings on both sides of a bike without anything else being affected. Its an estimate after all and repair costs could go up significantly once they start working on the bike especially if frame or forks have been twisted, mounting lugs twisted, exhaust damaged, levers or foot pedals need replacing, or engine/gearbox casings needing to be replaced. What work have they quoted you for?

Its hard to tell without you explaining what actually happened.

If the bike went sliding down the road on one side it might be worth repairing and keeping, if its gone tumbling down the road, or hit something solid and come to an abrupt stop personally I would be looking to replace the bike, like for like, and that would mean the insurance company compensating you enough so that you could buy the exact same bike in the same or better condition than it was before the accident. The bike might look alright, but if anything important is twisted (even slightly) it might still be worthless to you if you choose to repair but later go on to try resell it, unless of course you would be prepared to sell a lemon with out being honest with the buyer.

As has been said already, dont let the insurance company get away without compensating you fully if you do decide not to repair.

Last edited by efanton; 29th January 2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 29th January 2019, 07:28 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,443 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!

Firstly if it’s coming in at 3400....you are intitaled to get that. I had a similar situation,was offered half what was quoted,refused the offer and countered it with exactly what the estimate of repair was,actually noticed a rad was bent after the agreement,and had the cost of that added on top

The other thing you need to consider is the loss in market value of the bike as a damaged repaired,should be compensated for that too

Last edited by DavyH; 29th January 2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 29th January 2019, 07:50 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 6693 from Kildare
381 posts since Sep 2007
Motorbike: S1000R

Where are they getting the €2300 from?

If estimate is €3400, and bike vale is €4250, it sounds to me like it should be treated as uneconomical to repair. The insurers would normally obtain a salvage offer for the bike as is, deduct that from their value (€4250) and send you a cheque for the balance. Then you could sell the bike to the savage dealer or keep it.

Btw, if they’re giving an option of Cat D, I’d say it’ll be logged as a Cat D whatever option you choose.
Old 29th January 2019, 08:13 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
13,063 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Did you consider asking the insurance company? You know, seeing as they're probably in the best position to give you the correct answer?
Old 29th January 2019, 09:54 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
585 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

Originally Posted by Gixxer
Did you consider asking the insurance company? You know, seeing as they're probably in the best position to give you the correct answer?
Suppose yup, but it is a bit like using a digital multimeter. Ya will always get readings regardless of where ya stick de prongs. Ya need to understand what yer asking, and have realistic expectations of what to expect.

If you don't know where you should be at, ins' co will believe it their duty to shaft ya.
Old 29th January 2019, 10:47 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 28477 from Dublin
398 posts since Mar 2012
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: RS125, CBR 250rr & 600rr

Originally Posted by efanton
estimate for repairs come in a €3,400, but you say its just cosmetic?
Sounds a little bit more than cosmetic to me.

I would imagine to replace the fairings on one side of a bike would cost less than that.
If its more than damage to one side then what else has been affected, How do you damage fairings on both sides of a bike without anything else being affected. Its an estimate after all and repair costs could go up significantly once they start working on the bike especially if frame or forks have been twisted, mounting lugs twisted, exhaust damaged, levers or foot pedals need replacing, or engine/gearbox casings needing to be replaced. What work have they quoted you for?

Its hard to tell without you explaining what actually happened.

If the bike went sliding down the road on one side it might be worth repairing and keeping, if its gone tumbling down the road, or hit something solid and come to an abrupt stop personally I would be looking to replace the bike, like for like, and that would mean the insurance company compensating you enough so that you could buy the exact same bike in the same or better condition than it was before the accident. The bike might look alright, but if anything important is twisted (even slightly) it might still be worthless to you if you choose to repair but later go on to try resell it, unless of course you would be prepared to sell a lemon with out being honest with the buyer.

As has been said already, dont let the insurance company get away without compensating you fully if you do decide not to repair.
Thanks for all the comments so far appreciate it

I was hit on the left side and bike fell onto the ground on right side. Very low speed so bike didn't really slide only a couple of feet and stopped on its own. Damage is cracked fairings and scrapes. As a result it needs left and right mid fairing, upper cowl, rear cowl, two indicators, rear brake lever and right side engine cover. This plus labour is estimated at the €3,400.

Nothing important is twisted and bike drives fine.

Originally Posted by menapia dude
What was ur bike worth to u before accident.do not settle for less I know a mate who paid 5 k for a bike car ran in to him insurers would only offer him 4K so he said he was developing pains in his back and his bike gear needed replacing they paid out nearly 6k,and his back pain disappeared like magic moral of it all is u tell them what u want for it or else ,as for taking money to repair value will drop on repaired bike regardless of how good it’s repaired
It's a fair valuation and is worth about €4,250, maybe at a push €4,500.

Originally Posted by DaveD
Where are they getting the €2300 from?

If estimate is €3400, and bike vale is €4250, it sounds to me like it should be treated as uneconomical to repair. The insurers would normally obtain a salvage offer for the bike as is, deduct that from their value (€4250) and send you a cheque for the balance. Then you could sell the bike to the savage dealer or keep it.

Btw, if they’re giving an option of Cat D, I’d say it’ll be logged as a Cat D whatever option you choose.
The 3rd parties assessor is getting the €2,300 from the value of the bike minus the salvage. He said it would be worth €1,900 salvage. So yep you are correct they are taking the value of the bike and deducting the salvage and saying they will give me €2,300.

Originally Posted by Gixxer
Probably easiest way Gixxer I just wanted to try understand it or get some opinions as never been down this road before and like other poster said I wanted to try have my facts right so I didn't get fobbed off.

The bike was in perfect original condition and I would like to get it back to that but I haven't really been given this as an option as it is either write it off or keep it and take a check for €2,300 which doesn't cover the entire repair work so I can't fix it back to what it was. I wasn't sure if I had the option of demanding the full cost to repair it or if it would be logged as a write off if I keep it and accept a cash settlement of €2,300.

Last edited by Chris.D R33; 29th January 2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 29th January 2019, 11:46 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 21336 from Tipperary
123 posts since Apr 2010
Motorbike: GSXR 750, Honda 90
Modifications: None

Find out what bikes of similar condition to yours (before the accident) are being sold for, get 3 prices if it works out to be more than 4,250. Contact the insurance company and get the full value of your bike. You are also due compensation for any of your motor bike gear that was damaged in the accident.
Old 30th January 2019, 04:51 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 10018 from Cork
6,693 posts since May 2008

There's a fair chance that if you do buy the bike back and repair it,it won't be recorded as Cat D anyway.
Had that happen years ago.
When i was selling the bike,i told the new owner about it,but other than that he'd never have known.
As said above,don't accept that first offer,push for more.
Old 30th January 2019, 09:25 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,694 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

I imagine it's your cbr600 because of valuation.
I would take the cheque for 3400 and tell them that you will charge 100 per day for storing the bike until they collect it and don't forget to ad a new helmet at least to your claim
Old 30th January 2019, 09:42 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37188 from Dublin
62 posts since Apr 2017
Motorbike: R1200GS
Modifications: Akrapovic, r/h clutch

As a side issue to this, I have just discovered that being involved in a no-fault claim will impact your insurance, as you are considered at risk of being in another accident.
I got a quote yesterday from CN, 540 was quote with clean claim history, with a claim such as yours a year ago (other party 100% at fault, no claim against me) on my record, quote is 740....
Might be worth investigating this and adding it to your claim, it will affect you for 3 years...
Old 30th January 2019, 10:20 AM
. . . . . .

Biker.ie Member No. 3765 from Dublin
1,646 posts since Sep 2006
Motorbike: ZX6R

Originally Posted by discoblade
As a side issue to this, I have just discovered that being involved in a no-fault claim will impact your insurance, as you are considered at risk of being in another accident.
I got a quote yesterday from CN, 540 was quote with clean claim history, with a claim such as yours a year ago (other party 100% at fault, no claim against me) on my record, quote is 740....
Might be worth investigating this and adding it to your claim, it will affect you for 3 years...
I had this issue, I managed to get it sorted by speaking to a supervisor and jumping through some hoops. There were loading the policy due to a no fault accident which is not on.
Old 30th January 2019, 10:38 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37188 from Dublin
62 posts since Apr 2017
Motorbike: R1200GS
Modifications: Akrapovic, r/h clutch

Originally Posted by orribleHorne
I had this issue, I managed to get it sorted by speaking to a supervisor and jumping through some hoops. There were loading the policy due to a no fault accident which is not on.
Cheers, just off the phone with the Ombudsman, he told me just that, have to officially complain about it, it's not on...

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
category, write