Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 29th January 2019, 02:36 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 36377
43 posts since Jul 2016
Motorbike: Blade street fighter
Default Lithium battery

Might get for the blade.any one got in the road bike and what like?
Old 29th January 2019, 03:02 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 36294 from the big smoke
3,111 posts since Jun 2016
Motorbike: bicycle
Modifications: big belly
Default Re: Lithium battery

Japcati on here is a big fan
He would have a good input on them
Old 29th January 2019, 07:47 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

43 posts since Jul 2016

Well reviews are good just concerned when bike laid up for but wit alight draw for the alarm
Old 29th January 2019, 08:19 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3844 from Dublin South
2,264 posts since Oct 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Z1000SX
Modifications: Your Ma!

I put a Shido in my z1000 a little over a year ago and it managed very well even in the snow last year. Others on here had said I would be screwed in low temps but I have seen no sign of this so far.

I've not had to charge it yet and not actually checked the running bolts on it but the "test" button on it has always showed full bars/lights.

Lithium batteries do not like to be drained too low so if you have an alarm and you know it drains the battery, then parking it up with a lithium installed will surely kill the battery. It would probably kill a normal AGM too as it did with mine.

Best to hook up a trickle if parking it up or a solar panel maybe but I found them shite.
Old 29th January 2019, 09:18 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,586 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!

Originally Posted by Pat rabbit obn
Well reviews are good just concerned when bike laid up for but wit alight draw for the alarm
What alarm is it?
Old 30th January 2019, 08:18 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,645 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

Originally Posted by CodeJACK
I put a Shido in my z1000 a little over a year ago and it managed very well even in the snow last year. Others on here had said I would be screwed in low temps but I have seen no sign of this so far.

I've not had to charge it yet and not actually checked the running bolts on it but the "test" button on it has always showed full bars/lights.

Lithium batteries do not like to be drained too low so if you have an alarm and you know it drains the battery, then parking it up with a lithium installed will surely kill the battery. It would probably kill a normal AGM too as it did with mine.

Best to hook up a trickle if parking it up or a solar panel maybe but I found them shite.

This 100%

If you use the bike regularly, you'll have no issues and have benefits of weight savings. If you park your bike for long periods of time, trickle charger and you'll be grand.

You really should have trickle charger anyways even if you have a regular battery if the bike sits for long periods of time but regular batteries might be less sensitive and could potentially be recovered from a dead state where lithium ones will be fecked.
Old 30th January 2019, 08:44 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
4,036 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: CRF250RLA

Do lithium batteries require a special trickle charger, or would say an Optimate 4 work with them?
Old 30th January 2019, 10:17 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by renniks
Do lithium batteries require a special trickle charger, or would say an Optimate 4 work with them?
Depends on the battery. So long as the charger does not charge higher than 15V and more than 8amp continuous then it would work with the Shido I have. I charged it when I got it with my optimate 4 but not needed to do it since (dont think I even needed to when I got it but did anyway)

Each battery has a different spec.

https://www.afam.com/en/electricity/...intenance-use/
Old 30th January 2019, 10:44 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
4,036 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: CRF250RLA

Depends on the battery. So long as the charger does not charge higher than 15V and more than 8amp continuous then it would work with the Shido I have. I charged it when I got it with my optimate 4 but not needed to do it since (dont think I even needed to when I got it but did anyway)

Each battery has a different spec.

https://www.afam.com/en/electricity/...intenance-use/
Nice one
Old 30th January 2019, 10:50 AM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 35355
6,070 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: 996/R1/S1000rr
Modifications: loads

Have JMT lithium batteries in my road and race bikes.
0.6 of a kilo,higher CCA and no issues at all.
Old 30th January 2019, 11:03 AM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 35355
6,070 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: 996/R1/S1000rr
Modifications: loads

Jmt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190130-110252.jpg (35.4 KB)
Old 30th January 2019, 12:00 PM
Novice Racer

43 posts since Jul 2016

I'll get one so.my alarm is a cheap Chinese one but the draw is supposed be low
Old 30th January 2019, 12:04 PM
Novice Racer

43 posts since Jul 2016

If they go flat can you recharge with lithoum charger?or dont they charge once flat?
Old 30th January 2019, 01:02 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Pat rabbit obn
If they go flat can you recharge with lithoum charger?or dont they charge once flat?
They wont charge when flat. Unlikely at least anyway. If they are flat, they are probably broken
Old 30th January 2019, 01:56 PM
bike broke

Biker.ie Member No. 30720 from Offaly
2,224 posts since Jan 2013
Motorbike: Busa, zx7/9r, bandit....
Modifications: inflatable doll underseat

They wont charge when flat. Unlikely at least anyway. If they are flat, they are probably broken
shouldnt go flat anyway i think, they generally shut off before they get that low so its just a case of charging when it shuts off
Old 30th January 2019, 03:00 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,586 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!

Originally Posted by sharpbikes
shouldnt go flat anyway i think, they generally shut off before they get that low so its just a case of charging when it shuts off
You can also Ďwakeí them when they do that. Stick 12v to it with jump leads or whatever. Iíve a 650 single with a very compact little lithium ion thatís sat up for probably 6 months now in a cold shed....Iíll see how it copes in a few weeks,Iíve not charged it or left it on trickle,only thing I did was disconnect the negative
Old 30th January 2019, 03:58 PM
bike broke

Biker.ie Member No. 30720 from Offaly
2,224 posts since Jan 2013
Motorbike: Busa, zx7/9r, bandit....
Modifications: inflatable doll underseat

Originally Posted by DavyH
You can also Ďwakeí them when they do that. Stick 12v to it with jump leads or whatever. Iíve a 650 single with a very compact little lithium ion thatís sat up for probably 6 months now in a cold shed....Iíll see how it copes in a few weeks,Iíve not charged it or left it on trickle,only thing I did was disconnect the negative
handy to know, didnt know you could "wake" them. must admit alot of the info online confuses lads with all the talk of normal chargers setting fire to the lithium batteries and whatnot.
Old 30th January 2019, 05:20 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 2855
1,732 posts since Mar 2006

Originally Posted by Japcati
Jmt
JMT batteries are excellent. I've had a couple of them
Old 30th January 2019, 06:03 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
623 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

My understanding of lithium battery is very different.

Lithium batteries DO NOT require trickle charging nor do they mind being drained to the max. They will happily give 80-90% on a regular and frequent basis, and when charging will take everything you can throw at them to recharge.

Lead Acid, AGM, Gel etc are quite the opposite. They DO require trickle charging, you can bulk charge the first 60 to 80% but the rest has to be trickle charged. They should never really be drained by more than 50%.

Lithium will also last at least 10 to 15 times longer (cycles).
The only disadvantage to lithium is their cost, and their dislike of sub zero temperatures as has been mentioned.

Have done quite a lot of research into lithium batteries, planning on getting a boat in the next few years that will be used as live-aboard for 3 to 4 months at a time and totally self sufficient for electrical needs (combination of LiFePo4 lithium batteries and solar). Lithium has so many advantages compared to lead acid, but apart from cost the only thing you need worry about is sub zero temperatures. LiFePo4 batteries are the future and I doubt you will see anything else on cars, bike boats or caravan in 10 years time, lead acid will be a thing of the past. They are also dramatically dropping in price. The battery bank That I was budgeting for has dropped in price by well over €1000, was costing well over €4000 a year or so ago and now under €3000.

Some people have even tackled the freezing problem by making heater mats to put under their lithium batteries that are thermostat controlled and only turn on once the battery is at risk. Pretty certain you will see these commercially available in the near future

boat link but everything you ever needed to know about the differences between lead acid and lithium is there

Last edited by efanton; 30th January 2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 30th January 2019, 06:50 PM
Novice Racer

43 posts since Jul 2016

Cheers for the replies.i need a new battery anyway so.may as well be lithium.inhave one of those lithium jump starters if it sischrhes anyway spose

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
battery, lithium