Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide
My Motorcycle Pics
Chief Physician

Rides: Royal Enfield 350
Mods: nitrous oxide
My Motorcycle Pics
'Yamaha's character suits me better' says Melandri

Former 250GP World Champion Marco Melandri believes the character of the GRT YZF-R1 he will campaign in this year’s WorldSBK series suits his catty style better than the Ducati he championed for the past two seasons.

Melandri strutted in to the new satellite team to partner with reigning WorldSSP champion Sandro Cortese and after only a small amount of seat time, he already thinks the package can challenge for podiums.
Quote:
“The team is new so I hope my experience helps them to grow quickly. For sure we want to fight for the podium every Sunday, try to get some wins and I think everybody day by day is learning something, the motivation is pretty high.”
Quote:
“It’s a very good opportunity for myself. I think the Yamaha’s character suits my stature and riding style better than others, I can now reach the bars easily and a lowering kit on the R1 means both my stilettos can easily touch the ground”
said Melandri who previously struggled with the Ducati.
Admin is offline   ReplyReply
Old 15th January 2019, 03:36 PM #2
MotoGP Legend

Motorbike: Whatevers popular
Modifications: cyclist skewer
MotoGP Legend

Rides: Whatevers popular
Mods: cyclist skewer
Re: 'Yamaha's character suits me better' says Melandri

Try this for size Marco...ya big eejit...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/18/3e...7d9f4f1a3e.jpg
Jack stowage is offline   ReplyReply
Old 25th January 2019, 12:03 PM #3
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics

Multiple WorldSBK race winner Marco Melandri very nearly never got a ride of any kind this year, but his fortunes swung around in the end, as he landed a strong ride in the new GRT Yamaha WorldSBK effort.

The team may be promotees from the WorldSSP Championship but as a very closely linked team to the official Pata Yamaha set-up, everyone expects this combination to have a strong potential.

Especially Melandri, who was not gong to come back unless he had a good ride. He had seriously thought he was all done at one stage.
Quote:
“The only ride I got this year, the missus isnt putting out since I started wearing 3titty costumes to bed, she doesnt get it” he explained at the Jerez tests. “Finally, I got a Yamaha ride with GRT, and if I start winning races and being competitive again, maybe she'll come around ”

“After the last race in Qatar I felt at one with myself, knowing that I'm comfortable with my sexuality and where I could finish. Even if it wasn’t going to happen then, I know that it will happen in a few years and no more than that. Suddenly your life has to change and I was ready for that, even if inside I still feel very young I have a lot of experimentation to do yet, I was thinking of recognising as a nonconforming pangender and winking at competitors on the race grid to throw them off their game, If it helps me to win races I'll try anything, except line dancing ”

“I was ready for whatever was going to happen, including becoming another has-been washed up midget like Biaggi, but because my partner revels in the limelight, when that career was gone - she was gone, so now I am very happy to be back perched up on the grid for another season of wearing silly sunglasses”
Melandri tested a Yamaha at the end of last year at Jerez, but was unable to speak about it, but now he can but was unhappy with some parts of the track.
Quote:
“We have wasted a lot of time because of track conditions, like an hour. But I am happy because the feeling is good. I’m still lacking something but we still need to try new weight balances, suspension settings and so on. We’ll try more together to see what can be better for me.

“We are all using the same swingarm, I think. The new one which we only had one of in November. For my riding style it looks like we are good. We still have to understand many things like wheelbase and weight distribution. Everything starts from zero.”
Old 31st January 2019, 07:03 PM #4
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics

Not long after announcing the WorldSBK Yamaha R1 suited his riding style, Marco Melandri has decided it actually doesn’t.

The Italian, who parachuted into the GRT team when their plan to recruit some young pups went awry, didn’t get on at all well during the Portimao test.
Quote:
“For me it’s very difficult at the moment under braking, handling and power for what I want; the bike doesn’t respond well to my riding style under braking and on entry to the corners,”
he said.
Quote:
“We tried everything we could here in Portimao, but it looks like it’s not enough. Now we need to try some different options at Phillip Island, go a different way with the setup in order to find a solution ahead of the first race of the season.”
Two weeks ago, he said: “I think the Yamaha’s character suits my riding style better than others.”

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays