Old 3rd February 2019, 03:27 PM #1
Supporter

Motorbike: CBR 600 RR
Supporter

Rides: CBR 600 RR
Best track tyres for SS600 and where to buy them

Hey guys,
Been searching around in the forum but I can't find anything relevant & up to date.

I'm considering buying a track-only set of tyres, to use in summer only for Mondello, for my CBR600RR. Perhaps Pirelli Supercorsa or Metzeler Racetek, or anything in the lines of, but road legal as well.

What is the best place to buy them online in Ireland? Or better to buy in the UK for better prices?

Thank you!
fast3r is offline   ReplyReply
Old 3rd February 2019, 04:01 PM #2
MotoGP Star

Motorbike: Blade, zx10r, kxf 250
MotoGP Star

Rides: Blade, zx10r, kxf 250
Re: Best track tyres for SS600 and where to buy them

Either of those tyres you mentioned will do you fine. From your question I gather your not experienced you won’t be quick enough to push the tyres to the limit or anywhere near it.
kawasixxer is online now   ReplyReply
Old 3rd February 2019, 04:17 PM #3
WSB Contender

Motorbike: 97 cbr 400rr nc29
Modifications: none
WSB Contender

Rides: 97 cbr 400rr nc29
Mods: none

Have read and personally bought the Metzeler M7RR tyres. Great road tyre and lads use them on the track too. Got mine from motorcycleshop.ie had 20% off in january.
hondablade is offline   ReplyReply
Old 3rd February 2019, 04:21 PM #4
Supporter

Supporter

Quote:
From your question I gather your not experienced you won’t be quick enough to push the tyres to the limit or anywhere near it.
Not sure where you gathered I'm inexperienced from my questions, but hey, maybe I should have been more specific.

I'm new to Ireland, so I still have no clue what's the most convenient way to buy tyres. Supercorsa and Racetek are the tyres I bought in the past when I could afford sport tyres. The request for alternatives comes from the fact that I'm used to track days with 30C and very different condition. I know very little of which tyre models are better suited to Mondello, especially ones that aren't completely useless when the track surface is cold or not completely dry.

I'm entry-level intermediate, been to Mondello only once but I've been to several tracks in Italy; at least enough to know that there's still a big difference in terms of grip between track tyres and "sporty" road tyres in certain conditions. I think it's also due to the fact that I tend to get to lean angles that are probably exaggerated for my pace (I'm working on this!).

Last edited by fast3r; 3rd February 2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 3rd February 2019, 04:26 PM #5
Supporter

Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondablade View Post
Have read and personally bought the Metzeler M7RR tyres. Great road tyre and lads use them on the track too. Got mine from motorcycleshop.ie had 20% off in january.
Thank you for the suggestion
I'm currently using Dunlop RoadSmart 3, which I think are great tyres, and have used them in Mondello last year. They didn't give me a great feeling when I tried to push a bit more. I wonder if the M7RR are pretty much in the same category?
I've used Metzeler Rennsport for track in the past, they had an excellent grip but became useless (and quite dangerous) in cold weather (even worst when wet).

Last edited by fast3r; 3rd February 2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 3rd February 2019, 04:27 PM #6
plumber for hire

Motorbike: 2017 s1000rr
Modifications: brakes, pipes
plumber for hire

Rides: 2017 s1000rr
Mods: brakes, pipes

Supercorsa or Dunlop is what racing lads are using.

Dunlop over a tire rule but that might mean you get alot more relevant info if your using them too.

Some lads hate the Dunlop some love them.
corkgsxr is online now   ReplyReply
Old 3rd February 2019, 05:56 PM #7
bike broke

Motorbike: Busa, zx7/9r, bandit....
Modifications: inflatable doll underseat
bike broke

Rides: Busa, zx7/9r, bandit....
Mods: inflatable doll underseat

dunlops are not particularly fond of the cold so require a good bit of heat, supercorsas are easier to warm but they dont like the wet...... either are good on a dry track once warmed up. metzeler racetec have similar compound to supercorsas, probably due to pirelli owning metzeler
sharpbikes is offline   ReplyReply
Old 3rd February 2019, 08:28 PM #8
MotoGP Star

Motorbike: Blade, zx10r, kxf 250
MotoGP Star

Rides: Blade, zx10r, kxf 250

What I was trying to say is either tyre choice that you mentioned above will be more than adequate for you. Unless your a front runner in the pro class. If you were you wouldn’t be asking about tyres is what I meant What sharpbikes said is a good description.
kawasixxer is online now   ReplyReply
Old 3rd February 2019, 10:14 PM #9
Biker.ie old-skool

Motorbike: 996/R1/S1000rr
Modifications: loads
Biker.ie old-skool

Rides: 996/R1/S1000rr
Mods: loads

Bridgestone R11
Dunlop D213GP Pro tyres

2 best tyres for the 600rr on track.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20190203-221255.jpg  
Japcati is offline   ReplyReply
Old 3rd February 2019, 10:48 PM #10
Supporter

Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasixxer View Post
What I was trying to say is either tyre choice that you mentioned above will be more than adequate for you. Unless your a front runner in the pro class. If you were you wouldn’t be asking about tyres is what I meant
Gotcha! Well, I get your point. I don't think that the choice of tyre is only important for pro riders, though. It depends a lot on your riding style, surely, but I've always felt differences between different makes and models a lot, and there were tyres (even good ones) which I never felt comfortable using. Sometimes it's the profile, sometimes it's just that they don't feel right on a certain bike. And I don't consider myself an expert, nor particularly sensitive.

I think that even newbies, or occasional track riders, can feel the difference between a serious track tyre and a mid-range "road racing" one. Sometimes, it's the additional grip of the former that makes the difference between a scare and a fall in how the bike reacts to a rider's mistake.
But that's just my humble opinion!

Thanks everybody for your suggestions!
I've been reading up on new tyres I haven't used before (been sadly off the two-wheels for a couple of years), and I've seen very good reviews for the Metzeler M7RR.
I wonder if it's worth getting some serious dry-only race tyres, and invest some money in a track rain tyre as well. I have a phobia for rain and track days, and here it's sadly a common scenario to think of getting away with it.
Old 3rd February 2019, 11:22 PM #11
bike broke

Motorbike: Busa, zx7/9r, bandit....
Modifications: inflatable doll underseat
bike broke

Rides: Busa, zx7/9r, bandit....
Mods: inflatable doll underseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast3r View Post
I wonder if it's worth getting some serious dry-only race tyres, and invest some money in a track rain tyre as well. I have a phobia for rain and track days, and here it's sadly a common scenario to think of getting away with it.
simple answer here is to buy scrubs, get some partworn wets and some partworn supercorsas, 213's, racetec's, contiattacks or whatever your poison and see which you like. alot cheaper than new tyres too
sharpbikes is offline   ReplyReply
Old 4th February 2019, 11:26 AM #12
Supporter

Motorbike: Race while you can.
Supporter

Rides: Race while you can.

First of all, you have no idea who is giving you information on here, and secondly, you have no idea if they have ever even ridden a trackbike on track. So the best place to get information is down at the track in Mondello. Ask one or several of the marshals down there what their opinion is. At least you know who is telling you. Neither I nor anybody else on here is in a position to offer you advice on tyres until we know what kind of pace you're riding at. Not what kind of pace you "say" your riding at. Most novice riders, and a fair chunk of intermediate riders would be better off on good road tyres. They are not pushing the tyres enough to keep enough heat in a race tyre, and if you don't keep heat in a race tyre, THEY WILL NOT WORK. Secondly, they will not have spare wheels for a set of wets, so they can still enjoy themselves just fine when it rains. By good road tyres, I mean recently made, appropriate ones that have not been doing burnouts. I've seen bikes rock up to Mondello for a track day with the canvas showing. The best road tyres I have used are Pirelli Rosso Corsa, but again, you have no idea who I am or how I ride. A fair few of the track marshals in Mondello only use road tyres. With regard to race tyres, my advice is to buy new race tyres. Racers do not waste money changing tyres. If they have taken them off their bike, it is for a very good reason. 99% of the time, it's because they are fucked. Unless you know the tyres and trust who had them, walk away. It's not wear that will fuck most tyres, it's heat cycles, and you can't tell how many heat cycles a tyre has done by looking at them. The line "Plenty of meat left on them" doesn't apply. It's very easy to take a race tyre and write "8 laps" on it. I've seen it done, and I've also had to pick guys up off the track and put them in an ambulance because of it. They could be genuine. They could also be completely fucked. Up to you how much you want to gamble, but a gamble it is. New race rubber is lovely, as long as you can keep heat in them. Good tyre warmers and the right compound is essential. There is no use putting SC0 compound in a bike in Ireland unless there is a heatwave about. Below 25 degrees c they will not work for your average punter. They will if your name is Glen Irwin, but for us mortals, forget about it. Dunlop 213 gp pro are the dogs bollox when up to temp, but once they start to drop, the grip falls off very rapidly. They are also very sensitive to tyre pressure. The Supercorsa sc are more tolerant to temp and tyre pressure and for your average punter, a better bet in my opinion. Metzlers are the same tyre with a different thread pattern. Bridgestones I have never liked on my bikes, but thats just my opinion. Avons I wouldn't put on a bonfire.
bow leg is offline   ReplyReply
Old 4th February 2019, 12:39 PM #13
Chief Physician

Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide
My Motorcycle Pics
Chief Physician

Rides: Royal Enfield 350
Mods: nitrous oxide
My Motorcycle Pics

Even though they're not mentioned above, the Michelin Power RS is one of the best all-round tyres for current conditions at mondello and faster road riding, unless you're on track in Cartagena or back in Italy - where the Dunlop's might have a slight advantage in chasing milli-seconds while hot.

Regardless of thread patterns, the Michelin compound just seems to grip better in colder conditions and damp tarmac and tend to heat up a lot faster (and not cool down as quick) than either Dunlop / Bridgestone / Pirelli.

Advice you get from marshals is one thing, but take opinions around the paddock with a pinch of salt, I know plenty of racers and track-day riders with all the gear who are as slow as christmas, but all self-professed 'experts' in the field none the less.

Road legal for your CBR600RR in this climate, you won't be disappointed with the Michelin Power RS ;

https://www.cottermc.com/default-cat...lin-tyres.html
Admin is offline   ReplyReply
Old 4th February 2019, 01:34 PM #14
Supporter

Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
Even though they're not mentioned above, the Michelin Power RS is one of the best all-round tyres for current conditions at mondello and faster road riding, unless you're on track in Cartagena or back in Italy - where the Dunlop's might have a slight advantage in chasing milli-seconds while hot.

Regardless of thread patterns, the Michelin compound just seems to grip better in colder conditions and damp tarmac and tend to heat up a lot faster (and not cool down as quick) than either Dunlop / Bridgestone / Pirelli.

Advice you get from marshals is one thing, but take opinions around the paddock with a pinch of salt, I know plenty of racers and track-day riders with all the gear who are as slow as christmas, but all self-professed 'experts' in the field none the less.

Road legal for your CBR600RR in this climate, you won't be disappointed with the Michelin Power RS ;

https://www.cottermc.com/default-cat...lin-tyres.html
From somebody who doesn't hang about on road tyres in Mondello
Old 4th February 2019, 01:49 PM #15
Supporter

Motorbike: Ducati 1199, KTM 1290SDR
Modifications: Skinny jeans
My Motorcycle Pics
Supporter

Rides: Ducati 1199, KTM 1290SDR
Mods: Skinny jeans
My Motorcycle Pics

A good road legal sporty threaded tyre will handily manage mid to low 1'50s once you aren't completely ham fisted. And you can go out in the rain if required. The race tyres will give you a bigger margin for error if running warmers but unless you are doing nothing but chase lap times or are in the advanced group and pushing on they aren't particularly needed.
batman_oh is offline   ReplyReply
Old 4th February 2019, 02:20 PM #16
Supporter

Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman_oh View Post
A good road legal sporty threaded tyre will handily manage mid to low 1'50s once you aren't completely ham fisted. And you can go out in the rain if required. The race tyres will give you a bigger margin for error if running warmers but unless you are doing nothing but chase lap times or are in the advanced group and pushing on they aren't particularly needed.
Saw one ktm do a 1.47 on road tyres there one day. The right honorable Mr Mc Williams.
Old 4th February 2019, 08:44 PM #17
Veteran Racer

Motorbike: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fe650
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
Veteran Racer

Rides: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fe650
Mods: A few bits and pieces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow leg View Post
First of all, you have no idea who is giving you information on here, and secondly, you have no idea if they have ever even ridden a trackbike on track. So the best place to get information is down at the track in Mondello. Ask one or several of the marshals down there what their opinion is. At least you know who is telling you. Neither I nor anybody else on here is in a position to offer you advice on tyres until we know what kind of pace you're riding at. Not what kind of pace you "say" your riding at. Most novice riders, and a fair chunk of intermediate riders would be better off on good road tyres. They are not pushing the tyres enough to keep enough heat in a race tyre, and if you don't keep heat in a race tyre, THEY WILL NOT WORK. Secondly, they will not have spare wheels for a set of wets, so they can still enjoy themselves just fine when it rains. By good road tyres, I mean recently made, appropriate ones that have not been doing burnouts. I've seen bikes rock up to Mondello for a track day with the canvas showing. The best road tyres I have used are Pirelli Rosso Corsa, but again, you have no idea who I am or how I ride. A fair few of the track marshals in Mondello only use road tyres. With regard to race tyres, my advice is to buy new race tyres. Racers do not waste money changing tyres. If they have taken them off their bike, it is for a very good reason. 99% of the time, it's because they are fucked. Unless you know the tyres and trust who had them, walk away. It's not wear that will fuck most tyres, it's heat cycles, and you can't tell how many heat cycles a tyre has done by looking at them. The line "Plenty of meat left on them" doesn't apply. It's very easy to take a race tyre and write "8 laps" on it. I've seen it done, and I've also had to pick guys up off the track and put them in an ambulance because of it. They could be genuine. They could also be completely fucked. Up to you how much you want to gamble, but a gamble it is. New race rubber is lovely, as long as you can keep heat in them. Good tyre warmers and the right compound is essential. There is no use putting SC0 compound in a bike in Ireland unless there is a heatwave about. Below 25 degrees c they will not work for your average punter. They will if your name is Glen Irwin, but for us mortals, forget about it. Dunlop 213 gp pro are the dogs bollox when up to temp, but once they start to drop, the grip falls off very rapidly. They are also very sensitive to tyre pressure. The Supercorsa sc are more tolerant to temp and tyre pressure and for your average punter, a better bet in my opinion. Metzlers are the same tyre with a different thread pattern. Bridgestones I have never liked on my bikes, but thats just my opinion. Avons I wouldn't put on a bonfire.

Never gonna get a feel for what race tyres can do if the best has already been had from them
DavyH is online now   ReplyReply
Old 4th February 2019, 11:13 PM #18
plumber for hire

Motorbike: 2017 s1000rr
Modifications: brakes, pipes
plumber for hire

Rides: 2017 s1000rr
Mods: brakes, pipes

Look can we just agree you shouldn't use Michelin macadam unless you want to do 8000 laps very slowly
corkgsxr is online now   ReplyReply
Old 5th February 2019, 08:41 AM #19
Clubman

Motorbike: 02 R1
Modifications: Stock bar exhuast
Clubman

Rides: 02 R1
Mods: Stock bar exhuast

Take a look at the Corsa 2 that came out during the summer , using those for the road at the moment , they are slightly more relaxed to the super corsa so they don't warm up as quick.

But you get a little extra mileage and peace of mind in the rain.
HurricaneDream is offline   ReplyReply
Old 5th February 2019, 11:20 AM #20
Supporter

Supporter

Also, be careful with "Supercorsa" The "SC" compound is a pure race compound. The "SP" compound is a road tyre. There is a big difference.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
buy, ss600, track, tyres