Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Reply
 
  #1  
Old 31st January 2019, 12:19 PM
FatherTed's Avatar
FatherTed FatherTed is offline
MotoGP Star
 
Biker.ie Member No. 12637 from Galway
932 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Default Engine warning on clutch pull

This just started recently - on a Yamaha MT07.

When cold and I move off, as soon as I pull the clutch in to change to second the entire bike cuts out, engine lights etc. When I release the clutch it (sometimes) comes back on and starts to fire up, but not always successful. It's as if the ignition key was turned off when the clutch was pulled!

I have also noticed that sometimes when I pull the clutch in the engine warning light (small yellow one) comes on and goes off again when I let the clutch out.

It is very intermittent and doesn't always happen. Seems to happen about once or twice a week now. But very scary on a dark country road!
The bike is an MT07.

Any idea what to start looking for?
The only electrical contact on the clutch is the cut off connector?

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 31st January 2019, 01:18 PM
DavyH DavyH is online now
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,443 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

Originally Posted by FatherTed
This just started recently - on a Yamaha MT07.

When cold and I move off, as soon as I pull the clutch in to change to second the entire bike cuts out, engine lights etc. When I release the clutch it (sometimes) comes back on and starts to fire up, but not always successful. It's as if the ignition key was turned off when the clutch was pulled!

I have also noticed that sometimes when I pull the clutch in the engine warning light (small yellow one) comes on and goes off again when I let the clutch out.

It is very intermittent and doesn't always happen. Seems to happen about once or twice a week now. But very scary on a dark country road!
The bike is an MT07.

Any idea what to start looking for?
The only electrical contact on the clutch is the cut off connector?

Any ideas?
So the clutch switch is doing 2 things,it’s a safety switch and also it communicates with the ecu for fueling purposes. Have a look at the external contacts for the switch firstly,they’re pretty exposed to the elements. Failing that you could open the switch but probably best just to replace it.
Without plugging it in I’m guessing here....but it would explain the 2 symptoms. Ideally you should get it plugged it an see what it throws up

Last edited by DavyH; 31st January 2019 at 01:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 31st January 2019, 01:37 PM
Frankkilty's Avatar
Frankkilty Frankkilty is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 21821 from Dublin
2,923 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: r1200 GS
Modifications: A hand that waves!
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

Could it also be the gear position sensor?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 31st January 2019, 01:51 PM
FatherTed's Avatar
FatherTed FatherTed is offline
MotoGP Star
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 12637 from Galway
932 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

Originally Posted by DavyH
So the clutch switch is doing 2 things,itís a safety switch and also it communicates with the ecu for fueling purposes. Have a look at the external contacts for the switch firstly,theyíre pretty exposed to the elements. Failing that you could open the switch but probably best just to replace it.
Without plugging it in Iím guessing here....but it would explain the 2 symptoms. Ideally you should get it plugged it an see what it throws up
Would I have to do that at a specialist or would most garages be able to do that?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 31st January 2019, 02:12 PM
DavyH DavyH is online now
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,443 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

Originally Posted by Frankkilty
Could it also be the gear position sensor?
It could,or even the side stand switch....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31st January 2019, 02:13 PM
DavyH DavyH is online now
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,443 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

Originally Posted by FatherTed
Would I have to do that at a specialist or would most garages be able to do that?
Anywhere that has even basic Yamaha diagnostics should be able to read it
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31st January 2019, 02:25 PM
FatherTed's Avatar
FatherTed FatherTed is offline
MotoGP Star
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 12637 from Galway
932 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

Originally Posted by Frankkilty
Could it also be the gear position sensor?
Would that cause the entire bike to shut down?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31st January 2019, 02:32 PM
DavyH DavyH is online now
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,443 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

Originally Posted by FatherTed
Would that cause the entire bike to shut down?
When you say the entire bike,do the instruments stay on? Or is it just stalling out,the headlight will go off if it stalls too
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31st January 2019, 09:03 PM
FatherTed's Avatar
FatherTed FatherTed is offline
MotoGP Star
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 12637 from Galway
932 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

Originally Posted by DavyH
When you say the entire bike,do the instruments stay on? Or is it just stalling out,the headlight will go off if it stalls too
Everything off...engine, headlight, dashboard. As soon as I release the cluthch it all comes back on. Like turning the ignition key off when the clutch is pulled in. And only when changing gear. Clutching in when at rest is ok, apart from the engine warning light coming on when the lever is pulled.
Very bizarre.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 31st January 2019, 09:38 PM
DavyH DavyH is online now
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,443 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

Originally Posted by FatherTed
Everything off...engine, headlight, dashboard. As soon as I release the cluthch it all comes back on. Like turning the ignition key off when the clutch is pulled in. And only when changing gear. Clutching in when at rest is ok, apart from the engine warning light coming on when the lever is pulled.
Very bizarre.
That is bizarre...all signs would point to the clutch switch/safety circuit if it was a simple stall,however complete loss of power is pointing elsewhere,there are so many systems interlocking one way or another that itís going to come down to something very simple. Seeing as the clutch switch is looking like the catalyst Iíd say that would be a starting point. Iíll have a scout through the wiring diagrams on Saturday if youíre still stuck and give you a bit of direction
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 31st January 2019, 10:24 PM
FatherTed's Avatar
FatherTed FatherTed is offline
MotoGP Star
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 12637 from Galway
932 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

Originally Posted by DavyH
That is bizarre...all signs would point to the clutch switch/safety circuit if it was a simple stall,however complete loss of power is pointing elsewhere,there are so many systems interlocking one way or another that itís going to come down to something very simple. Seeing as the clutch switch is looking like the catalyst Iíd say that would be a starting point. Iíll have a scout through the wiring diagrams on Saturday if youíre still stuck and give you a bit of direction
Cheers for that!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 1st February 2019, 12:02 AM
the landshark's Avatar
the landshark the landshark is offline
Quantum Mechanic
 
Biker.ie Member No. 7493 from Mallow
5,941 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: TLR,Z900,CB200,CD200,Pan
Modifications: They sometimes work
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

first thing i'd be checking is the integrity of the earthing points.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 1st February 2019, 02:31 PM
nednedned's Avatar
nednedned nednedned is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 5106 from Dubzland
2,404 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: BANDIT 600 x2
Modifications: Air hornes-move cager
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull



May not be related. Have a read of his comments. one mentions a mt-07. goto abt 6.30

https://www.fz07oc.com/forums/fz-07-...ems-issues.14/

Last edited by nednedned; 1st February 2019 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 1st February 2019, 03:02 PM
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is offline
Trans biker from mars
 
Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,872 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: Tits
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

I'm kinda hectic here at the mo . I'll get back to ya later . Think I've fixed this same prob before
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 1st February 2019, 03:02 PM
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is offline
Trans biker from mars
 
Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,872 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: Tits
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

Maybe ring me
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 1st February 2019, 03:43 PM
FatherTed's Avatar
FatherTed FatherTed is offline
MotoGP Star
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 12637 from Galway
932 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

Originally Posted by nednedned


May not be related. Have a read of his comments. one mentions a mt-07. goto abt 6.30

https://www.fz07oc.com/forums/fz-07-...ems-issues.14/
That is the EXACT same issue! Great find dude.
Turns out the cold weather was causing the starter to become "stuck" and not returning to its start position. I also noticed the "autostart" feature and thought it was a cool feature of that bike.

Thanks a million for the find.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2nd February 2019, 05:15 AM
AndyK AndyK is offline
Wobbling Fledgling
 
Biker.ie Member No. 10841
13 posts since Jun 2008
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

That happened to mine as well.

From what I understand the original spring that returns the switch to its idle position is really weak and when any dirt etc gets in there (with our weather it's pretty much a given that dirt will get in) it simply cant push it back up from the starter position, so if you don't notice it you end up driving around with the starter on.

Give it a quick google search, it seems to be a common problem. Yam decided to reinvent the wheel for no good reason and did a shitty job of it. The design is apparently also being brought to other models too (hopefully with a better spring).

Thankfully I heard the noise difference when it happened first, then just got used to manually moving it back when starting the bike. Eventually got it fixed under warranty, hasn't happened again since. Some other guy they had to fix it for wasn't so lucky, he never noticed it was stuck on. I'd say the only reason I heard it was because I still have the wimpy quiet stock exhaust.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2nd February 2019, 09:36 AM
FatherTed's Avatar
FatherTed FatherTed is offline
MotoGP Star
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 12637 from Galway
932 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

Originally Posted by AndyK
That happened to mine as well.

From what I understand the original spring that returns the switch to its idle position is really weak and when any dirt etc gets in there (with our weather it's pretty much a given that dirt will get in) it simply cant push it back up from the starter position, so if you don't notice it you end up driving around with the starter on.

Give it a quick google search, it seems to be a common problem. Yam decided to reinvent the wheel for no good reason and did a shitty job of it. The design is apparently also being brought to other models too (hopefully with a better spring).

Thankfully I heard the noise difference when it happened first, then just got used to manually moving it back when starting the bike. Eventually got it fixed under warranty, hasn't happened again since. Some other guy they had to fix it for wasn't so lucky, he never noticed it was stuck on. I'd say the only reason I heard it was because I still have the wimpy quiet stock exhaust.
I agree, it is a totally useless design. Why change it and introduce these kind of issues?
Have you ever tried removing it and cleaning it? Is it an easy task?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2nd February 2019, 03:32 PM
AndyK AndyK is offline
Wobbling Fledgling
 
Biker.ie Member No. 10841
13 posts since Jun 2008
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

The only cleaning I tried was spraying a bit of contact cleaner in followed by some rummaging from a long soft bristle paintbrush - which helped, but after a dozen trips in crappy weather the problem reappeared. I'd say the cleaner probably got rid of some needed lube as well as the dirt so not a permanent fix.

I never went through taking it apart as it was covered by warranty so no need, just brought it in to be fixed (along with a stubborn gear changing problem which persists, budget parts me thinks)

I did find a thread when I first looked into it of a guy who opened it up to upgrade the spring.

https://fz07.org/thread/5810/fix-sticky-starter-switch/

Read the whole thread. One of the posts has pictures. One guy broke something. Seems it's easy enough to fix, just need to be careful - small parts that can be easily dropped or broken. You'll need a get and possibly cut a new spring for it too, Radionics might have something suitable.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:07 PM
DavyH DavyH is online now
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,443 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
Default Re: Engine warning on clutch pull

Actually had a similar issue with an mt09...far as I remember bike still ran but starter stuck on...same switch. Was replaced under warranty. In saying that there has been heaps of them through the doors and mt07ís and thatís the only one I recall failing. The switch on the the Fjr is a much more stout unit,would be a better job if it could be retrofitted
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
clutch, engine, pull, warning


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XT660X issues with engine response and stiff clutch GaryMunster The Workshop 6 12th April 2018 09:52 PM
**Read this before posting** - Guidelines for Buying and Selling section Admin Buying and Selling 10 20th August 2013 08:18 PM
It's Fridayyyyy !!! NimmyZed Jokes, Pics & Flics 26 13th November 2009 06:54 AM
Suzuki GS 500 - Clutch Lever very stiff to pull in? corrcullen The Workshop 9 17th December 2006 03:27 PM
Question For Noddy OLeprosy First time bikers 20 12th January 2006 05:40 PM


Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed