Old 30th January 2019, 04:42 PM
plumber for hire

Biker.ie Member No. 16432 from cork
10,354 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: 2017 s1000rr
Modifications: brakes, pipes
Default Re: Re-map or not?

Originally Posted by RTV
I would agree if you go with a straight pipe or something very extreme, but in this case the exhaust manufacturer told OP that it has been tested and it's OK.
Yoshi say mine will be fine too and it wasn't. There interest is selling
Old 28th March 2019, 09:45 PM
Veteran Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 3193 from 0 to 60 in about 3.2 sec
2,705 posts since May 2006
Motorbike: Yer aul wan
Modifications: Sphincter tightener

So, just in case someone googles this some day and are left wondering if the re-map was ever done......

There was a general failure warning on the bike ever since I tried to turn on the heated grips (which it transpired, weren't actually fitted ). I popped into M50 Honda/KTM in Ballymount a few weeks ago and rather cheekily asked them to reset the warning message on the dash (I bought my bike from a dealer in the UK). "No problem". I was advised that there was an outstanding recall due on the front brake master cylinder, which they offered to complete under warranty. Dropped the bike into them today for the recall and got them to download the Akra/decat map while they were at it.

I didn't notice any performance gains after fitting the decat pipe at Christmas, although the reduction in weight was very noticeable. After the re-map today it's a completely different bike!! Holy shit. To say I'm impressed would be a gross understatement Smoother response rolling on from a closed throttle at low speed, midrange vastly improved, top end of the rev range feels about the same as before. The whole connection between the throttle and the engine is so much smoother, crisper, better.

So to summarise, yes a remap is most definitely the way to go....
Old 28th March 2019, 10:53 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
13,287 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Originally Posted by PADDYOT
So, just in case someone googles this some day and are left wondering if the re-map was ever done......

There was a general failure warning on the bike ever since I tried to turn on the heated grips (which it transpired, weren't actually fitted ). I popped into M50 Honda/KTM in Ballymount a few weeks ago and rather cheekily asked them to reset the warning message on the dash (I bought my bike from a dealer in the UK). "No problem". I was advised that there was an outstanding recall due on the front brake master cylinder, which they offered to complete under warranty. Dropped the bike into them today for the recall and got them to download the Akra/decat map while they were at it.

I didn't notice any performance gains after fitting the decat pipe at Christmas, although the reduction in weight was very noticeable. After the re-map today it's a completely different bike!! Holy shit. To say I'm impressed would be a gross understatement Smoother response rolling on from a closed throttle at low speed, midrange vastly improved, top end of the rev range feels about the same as before. The whole connection between the throttle and the engine is so much smoother, crisper, better.

To summarise... EVERY (fuel injected) bike needs a remap. They're supplied with a 'one-size-fits-all' map, which spans too many variables. It facilitates (see 'compromises') anything from below freezing at low pressures in mountain regions to sea level pressures at desert temperatures.
A remap should be on everyone's Christmas list.
Old 1st April 2019, 12:11 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 6925 from Louth
1,625 posts since Oct 2007
Motorbike: 1290 SuperDuke GT,ZX12R

Originally Posted by PADDYOT

Result!! What did they charge you if you don't mind ?

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
remap

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed