Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 10th February 2018, 05:38 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 8707 from Kill. Co.Kildare
758 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: Constantly changing
Modifications: Always standard
Default Exasperated Ebay seller-

RELISTED
Please - buyers take note, this is a 40 year old motorcycle, its not "as new" it doesn't run as smooth as your mates latest fazer 1000
it run's on four carbs which are the original ones, its not fuel injected, yes it kicks out a bit of smoke on start up and run's a bit lumpy until its warmed up (they all do)

it will need you to work on it,
it will suffer from problems, that's the joy of purchasing a classic bike, its a hands on thing....they drive you nuts...but its enjoyable.

So if you don't have a clue about fixing bikes, sorting faults, then you don't want a classic motorcycle in your garage.
They can be a right pain at times to own...Ask any one who own's one.... Old motor bikes develop faults while they are parked up under a sheet in the garage, Why, i don't know, but they do.... that's the joy of owning a Classic.
So please This time don't bid if you just want a press and go motorcycle, If you do, this one isn't for you...
Old 10th February 2018, 05:56 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,608 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines
Default Re: Exasperated Ebay seller-

no time wasting please
Old 10th February 2018, 06:32 PM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,909 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)

Originally Posted by kwackquack
no time wasting please
Old 10th February 2018, 06:44 PM
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks's Avatar
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks Christopher Livingstone Eubanks is offline
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37927
285 posts since Jan 2018
Motorbike: gsxr 1000

Bid? So I will start, 1.
Old 10th February 2018, 08:31 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35351 from carrick
538 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: vtr 1000. spondon mori,
Modifications: a long expensive list

not for the faint hearted !!!
Old 10th February 2018, 10:43 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 23155
1,373 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Katana

The guy is correct, classics have a life of their own, like dogs or cats etc..... one will start on the button even if you havent started it for a year (or in some cases 3 years) while others wont start the day after they were running fine. Its a love of it you need, nobody wants hassle from old bikes but they do need a bit of knowledge , skill and patients and sometimes parts and money, they can be a pain and they can be very enjoyable too, its hard work in fairness But worth it for a lot of folk, the alternative for some is to buy a retro looking bike which is NOT the same thing
Old 11th February 2018, 12:20 AM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,854 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Originally Posted by VJMC
The guy is correct, classics have a life of their own, like dogs or cats etc..... one will start on the button even if you havent started it for a year (or in some cases 3 years) while others wont start the day after they were running fine. Its a love of it you need, nobody wants hassle from old bikes but they do need a bit of knowledge , skill and patients and sometimes parts and money, they can be a pain and they can be very enjoyable too, its hard work in fairness But worth it for a lot of folk, the alternative for some is to buy a retro looking bike which is NOT the same thing

Any bike with points and condenser is gonna leave you stranded at some stage. Always carry spare condensers, points and plugs... and lots of wire.
It's half the joy of owning an auld bike.
I wonder how many people (not google mechanics) even know what a dwell angle is?

Last edited by Gixxer; 11th February 2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11th February 2018, 01:50 AM
Lurking boogeyman

Biker.ie Member No. 5615 from North West
932 posts since May 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XJSXVCRFLH2890
Modifications: Yeah. A few.

Much less shit to go wrong that you can't fix with a basic tool kit. The problem nowdays is that everyone wants the quick fix. Buy a refurb kit for the carbs and spend a day twiddling? Naah. Fuckit. I'll just give the seller shit until he takes it back. Godforbid I might actually learn anything about my vehicle.

In fairness, I don't know too many bikers who wouldnt at least try to fix something basic themselves, but once you go all EFI, TC, multi map, joe blow squeezer modern then even the slightest little thing will cause a headache that you cant fix with a set of points and a condenser.....and a little smear of dielectic grease....at the side of the road.

Jeez, two of my bikes are kick, one is points ignition, 2 are air cooled, 3 out of 4 have carbs and the most complex yoke, arguably, is the Diversion, purely because it's a 4 cylinder.

Does it mean that I dont have as much fun because they break down? Well, yeah, the chop has left me at the side of the road for several hours but that was my fault for not carrying some spare fuses. The XJ shook itself apart for the first week after I got it, but again, my fault for not recognising the shit job the pervious owner had done on assembly. The 93 CR500 motor tried to break my ankle yesterday. Twice.

Do I want to return them to the previous owner? Hell no....that is all part of the game. You bought it, live with the thing. I would rather send pics to the previous lad of where it is now and what it is doing, because I know he would probably be interested.
Old 11th February 2018, 10:05 AM
MotoGP Star
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 8707 from Kill. Co.Kildare
758 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: Constantly changing
Modifications: Always standard

The ebayer was selling an early Goldwing at reasonable money .

Obviously ,any bidder should know that DIY maintenance is going to be everything.

I see owning a classic bike as a life lesson. Nobody is going to fix it for you when it goes wrong. So it is solely up to you to develop the patience and skills to keep it going . Of course ,advice from biker.iers helps a lot.

The same is true for all of life's challenges. Running an old bike teaches you how to conquer such challenges.
Old 11th February 2018, 10:21 AM
Cybercide

Biker.ie Member No. 15208 from Leamlarastan
2,522 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: Ducati Monster S4 1966 Tr
Modifications: oil occasionally

On the other hand I saw an ad for a bike on DD that went something along the lines of - this bike is 20 years old, it is sold as seen and any problems that you have after buying it are yours now. A deal is a deal, no money back - the wording of the ad didn't exactly inspire confidence.
Old 11th February 2018, 11:47 AM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,909 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)

Originally Posted by generalisimo muldoon
On the other hand I saw an ad for a bike on DD that went something along the lines of - this bike is 20 years old, it is sold as seen and any problems that you have after buying it are yours now. A deal is a deal, no money back - the wording of the ad didn't exactly inspire confidence.
in a way if its private that goes without saying so saying it means there is defo something wrong or he is sick of lads he sold a motor to bringing it back after a few days with something wrong and looking for there moneys back,

whats the latin sain caveat emptor , shit goes back thousands of years possibly started on some stone carving or paperious script on a load of dodgy Egyptian chariots
Old 11th February 2018, 12:17 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 3977 from PortLaois/Derry etc...
820 posts since Nov 2006
Motorbike: SRX608,GileraRunner SP50,FZ750 in bits
Modifications: Cable ties, Duct tape+carbon.....

The problem in Uk and especially ebay listings is that consumer law changed recently and people try and do exploit it. If item/vehicle is not as described or known faults described then you can reject the sale even private sales.
Old 11th February 2018, 01:23 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 25998 from Dublin
431 posts since Apr 2011
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX R600/SV1000s
Modifications: Pipes

Originally Posted by yzfr1jon
The problem in Uk and especially ebay listings is that consumer law changed recently and people try and do exploit it. If item/vehicle is not as described or known faults described then you can reject the sale even private sales.
Same as in Ireland, all sales in the state are governed by Sales of Goods Act 1980, even private sales, I guess it's just that it is a pain and an expense to pursue unsatisfactory sales
Old 12th February 2018, 12:09 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 16858 from dublin
298 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: R1 , GSX 1100, FZ1
Modifications: 80's kit

This is way I bought a more modern bike. I used to go for old, low valued bikes with potential, love the old style and had many of them, but anything past changing the oil and brakes was an obstacle to me. you do pick up some tips along the way owning an old bike, but breaking down, parts, in and out of the bike shop takes its toll and not to mention
Old 12th February 2018, 01:39 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,469 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

Man, knowing that a pain in the rear is to sell a regular fully functional and hassle free bike is, I can only imagine trying to sell a classic with all its perks.

They're most definitely not for everyone and you see it quite often people selling "unfinished projects" where they either run out of money, patient, time or all of the above.
Old 12th February 2018, 03:45 PM
Head up, arse down

Biker.ie Member No. 15745 from Mainistir Ban, Corcaigh
1,389 posts since Apr 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XL1000VA GS425E TS250/1
Modifications: Insulin

For me, having an old bike with a few quibbles is part of the fun of ownership. I get to know a bike by working on it. You can't expect a forty year old bike NOT to have a few flaws unless you've just paid thousands for a ground-up restoration. It's what makes them interesting. But then maybe I have an unfair advantage because I'm a mechanic. I can understand a seller's frustration from dealing with total assholes & shysters, though. I remember when I bought my old GS 425E that the seller told me that he wouldn't sell me the bike unless I was prepared to get the spanners out myself if something went wrong. He said that several potential buyers had called to see it but he had refused to sell it to any of them because he knew that they would have driven him demented if there had been any problems afterwards. Turns out that he made a wise decision.
Old 12th February 2018, 09:16 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2733
3,456 posts since Feb 2006

Don't know why anyone would buy an old bike
Anything old worth buying is generally not cheap, you could get a new bargain for better money and not have as much of a risk of needing to 'fix' it

Usualy buyers know what they are buying.
1. They are never fixed, just adjusted
2. Duct tape, sandpaper, gold cigarette pack paper, 1 plug and some autosol is all that is needed.
3. If the filter gets blocked.. remove it
4. if it won't run, its one of three things .. ever.
5. someone has a spare (That doesn't have a fail time bomb fitted)

Buy a new bike that you don't have to work on
Just need to get it to a dealer to have it plugged in and fork out 50% the price of it on PCBs smaller than you can see after a week of technical diagnostics ... and the manual says 'tyre flat.. insert air, step 2 consult your nearest technology centre'
any you say.. 'thanks, just as well it wasn't an old bike, I'd be broke'.

What is the age where a new bike now becomes disposable as the old work horses can be kept going ... however rough. The money only comes into play if you want to make them new again and don't have the DIY.
Old 12th February 2018, 09:25 PM
Come on, lick my battery

Biker.ie Member No. 2361 from Cobh
3,820 posts since Oct 2005
Motorbike: Vmax, XS750, MT
Modifications: Lots

The reason I like owning more than one bike is that while one won't start or is waiting for some attention another is ready to go. And my 40yo XS is "old reliable" with its kick start
Old 13th February 2018, 02:49 PM
Head up, arse down

Biker.ie Member No. 15745 from Mainistir Ban, Corcaigh
1,389 posts since Apr 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XL1000VA GS425E TS250/1
Modifications: Insulin

Originally Posted by johnpclynch
The reason I like owning more than one bike is that while one won't start or is waiting for some attention another is ready to go. And my 40yo XS is "old reliable" with its kick start
Old 13th February 2018, 02:57 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,864 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: CRF250RLA

Lad in work has a thing for beemers. He bought the brand new big tourer - the 1600 (1800?), but I'd say he's been in on loaners for at least 50% of the time he has owned it, as various things have gone wrong and have had to be fixed under warantee. The latest is the drive shaft, that has to be made specially, as it isn't available off the shelf - bike has been in the shop for a couple of months at least at this stage!
Fucking piss poor

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
ebay, exasperated, seller