Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 17th January 2018, 03:46 PM
Automatic 4 the ppl

Biker.ie Member No. 4265 from Moving to Taormina again
17,949 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Xmax Tmax Bigmac!
Modifications: auto - fast as fcuk !
Thumbs up 2018 Yamaha MT09 SP Review - with aglio & basilico

2018 MT09 SP review " Moto.it "

( translation is there / thereabouts )

More refined and effective than the standard bike: the MT-09SP adds a touch of glamor and performance to the naked Yamaha tuning

SP as Sport Production. Or SP as a Special? Be that as it may, an acronym that several Houses have used several times, in the golden days of competitions for series derivatives. A symbol historically dear to Yamaha, which in recent (relatively) times has used it several times, starting from the YZF 750SP of the late 90s, passing through the YZF-R1 almost a decade later and then, from 2017, on MT series starting from the flagship MT-10. And that, in the 2018 range, it enriches the MT family with this MT-09SP .

An acronym that has lost any relationship with competitions, assuming that in the case of Yamaha has ever had, because the Maximum Torque series does not provide (at least for now) competitive use, but that indicates a more refined version in the components compared to those standard. If in the past then the modifications were used to free the potential of the bike in the hands of the coaches or with the adoption of racing kits - typically close change, or particular processing of the head - in this more recent sense are instead aimed at improving the dynamic behavior for the most demanding and refined.

After all, and we discover it today, in this presentation, the initials of Iwata have always had the meaning of SPecial, so ...
Click the image to open in full size.

Therefore, the MT-09 could not be the exception, the most important model of the family because, even though it is not the best seller - the record goes to the MT-07 - it was the progenitor of that family which accounts for 48% of Yamaha sales , and that does not seem to know crisis due to the constant growth of which it is the protagonist and that led it to cut the finish line of the 140,000 bikes sold. In any case, the MT-09 represents, in terms of registration, 22.3% of sales with a good 8.357 units sold in 2016. Sorry if it is not enough.

Renewed for 2017 "filing away" a large part of those few faults left over from the first version after the mid-life update (in 2015), the MT-09 doubled at the last EICMA presenting the version - precisely - SP, which adds more refined suspensions and some aesthetic retouching. And on time Yamaha invited us to try it, simultaneously with the arrival at the dealerships, on the roads around Faro, in Portugal.

How it's done; The lines are, of course, those of the standard MT-09 in the 2017 version, which recovers several elements of style of the older sister MT-10, especially in the lighthouse area with the front LED unit composed of four projectors plus position lights in one declination that we find more successful than the older sister.

[IMG]The LCD instrumentation, more close to the front fairing, is the first difference of the SP compared to the MT-09: the graphics are in white characters on a black background to offer greater visibility and a more refined line. An aesthetic connotation that makes the pair with the handlebars and the controls, which resume the black tone in a (very successful, in our opinion) game of tone on tone. The rest of the superstructures remains unchanged, with the fender / plate holder unit in aluminum and LED optic unit that descends on the swingarm, making the rear axle more airy than the previous model thanks to a more agile tail and turned towards the other on a shortened frame. The result is a flatter, elongated and raised saddle.

Engine and Electronics; It does not even change the beating heart of the MT-09, namely the three-cylinder CP3 with shaft phasing at 120 ° and regular ignition intervals at 0º, 240º and 480º, as well as staggered cylinders, from 847cc. The engine, equipped with multi-valve distribution and marked by the gearbox superimposed to the crankcase, is equipped with a countershaft and magnesium head covers. The measures are 78 x 59 mm, the compression ratio to 11.5: 1 and the performance count on 115 horses at 10,000 rpm and 87.5 Nm at 8,500 , values ​​that guarantee a good fun-bike behavior thanks mainly to the couple at the middle regimes. The power supply counts on the YCC-T ride-by-wire system that allows the implementation of the two-level and dismountable TCS traction control , as well as the D-mode management with three accelerator response mappings. Since 2017, the MT-09's three-cylinder tire is also equipped with servo-assisted slipper clutch and QSS quickshifter.[/IMG]

The chassis
Here we find the most significant differences between the standard MT-09 and this SP version. Without prejudice to the aluminum double beam frame composed of two die-cast aluminum sections, and the asymmetric swingarm with right-hand banana arm, the suspension compartment is definitely more refined.

The fork, always inserted in a double forged aluminum steering plate, is a progressive spring KYB unit equipped with hydraulic adjustment both in compression (with separate calibration for high and low speeds) and in extension on both stems instead that separately as on the standard version, and is easily recognizable for the gold anodization of the leggings. At the rear we can find a fully adjustable 46mm single tube Öhlins RSA monoshock hydraulics and equipped with a remote register for preload and compression. It should be noted that both the rear axle and the front axle have been used springs with a lower "K" than the units mounted on the MT-09 - even if in the second phase of the progression the fork reaches the standard version - thanks to a hydraulics more effective in providing support for the elastic component. Unchanged neutral weight distribution, with 50.2% on the front axle and 49.8 on the rear axle.

The chassis; Here we find the most significant differences between the standard MT-09 and this SP version. Without prejudice to the aluminum double beam frame composed of two die-cast aluminum sections, and the asymmetric swingarm with right-hand banana arm, the suspension compartment is definitely more refined.

The fork, always inserted in a double forged aluminum steering plate, is a progressive spring KYB unit equipped with hydraulic adjustment both in compression (with separate calibration for high and low speeds) and in extension on both stems instead that separately as on the standard version, and is easily recognizable for the gold anodization of the leggings. At the rear we can find a fully adjustable 46mm single tube Öhlins RSA monoshock hydraulics and equipped with a remote register for preloading and compression. It should be noted that both the rear axle and the front axle have been used springs with a lower "K" than the units mounted on the MT-09 - even if in the second phase of the progression the fork reaches the standard version - thanks to a hydraulics more effective in providing support for the elastic component. Unchanged neutral weight distribution, with 50.2% on the front axle and 49.8 on the rear axle.

The braking compartment relies on a pair of 298mm floating front discs machined by radial 4 piston calipers; at the rear we find a single 245mm disk. The 10-spoke wheels fit Bridgestone S20 tires in sizes 120 / 70ZR17 and 180 / 55ZR17.

The weight in running order remains fixed on the 193kg of the standard version.
In the saddle; The first contact with the MT-09SP is obviously identical to the one with the standard version . The position, halfway between the naked and the motardona, is the same - excellent synthesis between the control and comfort - of the previous version, with a high but not inaccessible saddle and a nice triangulation with the footrests and the high and close handlebars. Excellent finishes for a means of this price range: some detail out of place remains, but very minimal. And both the sight and the touch, the contact with the bridge is really gratifying .

As usual, the MT-09 is agile (with the size that is found, moreover, it would be difficult to make it awkward ...) feature highlighted further by a more sustained trim of the new suspension that, immediately, prove a step in forward in terms of fluency especially at the rear, on the small bumps typical of the city environment.

Not even a surprise is the engine, which runs from the minimum clean and free of vibrations and offers a muscular but refined delivery. Adjust up to 3 / 4,000, is strengthened in the middle with a tasty "back" that dissolves, above 8,000, in a truly remarkable extension . Difficult, at the moment, to find engines that are tastier than this for road use, especially with the standard mapping, a masterpiece of balance. The "A" is naturally more aggressive and "ignorant", made more for fun than to be profitable at a sustained pace, while the "B" comes in handy in case of funds with poor grip for rain or dirt.

We also confirm the positive judgment on the change, precise and with a well-studied rapport. The quickshifter is a nice addition but with a lot of engine it is often superfluous: just graft third or fourth and the change can be easily forgotten.

On the contrary, electronics are often a holy hand, considering the ... constant incitement to drive the MT-09SP. With the TC at level 1 intervenes only when there is really need (and also allows some very tasty surge) while in the most intrusive calibration is certainly more protective. Good for the city and when you do not want to concentrate too much on driving.

But let's get to the chassis, the highlight of the MT-09SP: after all, this is where we find the difference compared to the standard version. Already improved in the 2017 version, the suspension component here has really made a quantum leap . The sense of greater support perceived in the first kilometers is immediately diluted in the awareness of a sector so rigid as befits a motorbike with a sporting vocation, but able to perfectly copy the roughness of the asphalt and to manage the torque of the engine very well.

The trim is more balanced and homogeneous compared to the standard version, so much so that in sports driving disappears that minimum unwanted pitching that remained on MT 2017, and the behavior is closer to that of a conventional naked. Of the nature of crossover with the motard world remains the height of the driving position, and the ability to drink the tight mix with agility and consistency out of reach compared to a classic nude , all however combined with a stability capable of instilling confidence even at speed from jail to very direct. After the pumping of the rear tire has disappeared, the MT-SP drives like a real sports car at any pace, and - thanks to the above hybrid setting and suspension qualities - almost in any basic condition.

Very small fact: the inverted color of the dashboard is certainly more refined, and even with a readability beyond question in most of the conditions, when the light becomes direct and overbearing it is not always immediate to decipher the indications of the painting. And it is a bit 'species, in 2018, having to remove your hands from the handlebars to "shake" between the partial, the total, the engine temperature, the external and consumption. But these are really venial sins, specks that absolutely can not dirty a picture of absolute excellence.

Who is the Yamaha MT-09SP for? As it often happens for the deluxe versions of models that ... already do not have anything wrong with them, it is not easy to find the buyer-type for the Yamaha MT-09SP. The MT-09 is already a very good bike for performance, versatility and driving pleasure. If we consider the fun / price ratio, it is really difficult to find a rival, after a few minor complaints from the most incontestable.

The surcharge asked by Yamaha for the MT-09SP is 1,200 euros, against which we bring home an excellent base further enhanced by tangibly better suspension and finer and more exclusive finishes , which make this "Essepì" much more attractive both for the more experienced and fast, who can enjoy a trim that is more suited to sporty driving, but also simply for those looking for a more personal bike. A bit 'more "premium", as it is used now, and able to shorten the distances - if not to zero - with European proposals.

From this point of view, the Yamaha MT-09SP looks decidedly interesting and palatable, also because the figure of 10.190 euros is certainly proportionate to the level of performance and refinement of the model , especially given the fact that the only slightly subdued appearance of the MT -09 2017 - the single shock - is replaced by a unit above any criticism. However, it remains a delta compared to the basic version a bit 'high, if we consider the extent of the changes made.

The considerations of an economic nature, however, are certainly subjective, to the extent that not all ... we sweat in the same way to bring home the 1,200 euros mentioned above. For our part we can limit ourselves to underlining how the most refined endowment in terms of suspension will not completely change the face of the MT-09, but it certainly makes it a more mature and effective bike. And that, together with aesthetic retouching, also makes it fascinating as only an "SP" version can be.

https://www.moto.it/prove/yamaha-mt-09sp.html

Old 17th January 2018, 05:30 PM
Fucks given = 0

Biker.ie Member No. 2916 from Chume, Counteh Galweh
17,552 posts since Mar 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Yore ma
Modifications: Purple anodised footpegs
Default Re: 2018 Yamaha MT09 SP Review - with aglio & basilico

How much?

'c
Old 17th January 2018, 06:38 PM
Automatic 4 the ppl
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

I reckon 11,200 appx.

Sweet bike.

Enough revisions over current to make it more appealing.
Old 17th January 2018, 09:28 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 13490
1,425 posts since Dec 2008
Motorbike: KTM, Triumph

I'd be mildly annoyed if I'd bought an mt10. This is the bike it should have been day 1.
Old 18th January 2018, 09:23 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,282 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

I have no need for this, but the WANT is mighty.
Old 19th January 2018, 07:32 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 37419 from Wicklow
57 posts since Jun 2017

Yamaha are offering to pay the VRT on these if you buy before the end of January.
Looks like a really nice bike.
Old 19th January 2018, 08:20 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,282 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

Originally Posted by T_Bone
Yamaha are offering to pay the VRT on these if you buy before the end of January.
Looks like a really nice bike.
As far as I know, it was only for the Tracers, didn't include the MT09s.

But I could be wrong...
Old 19th January 2018, 08:24 AM
Automatic 4 the ppl

Originally Posted by RTV
As far as I know, it was only for the Tracers, didn't include the MT09s.

But I could be wrong...

Correct, only on current Tracer, FJR models & Super Tenere models.

Good call by Danfay in fairness, going in the right direction for the purchaser / consumer bike market.
Old 21st January 2018, 06:20 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 10418 from CORK
3,721 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: YAMAHA FZR600R, YZF750R
Modifications: Time & grime...

Originally Posted by RTV
I have no need for this, but the WANT is mighty.
I couldn't have put it better myself.....
Old 21st January 2018, 07:51 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,567 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.

If they did a Tracer sp it would interest me more.
Lots of hours in the seat of a DRZ400 makes me long for wind protection on an upright bike.
Old 9th February 2018, 04:27 PM
Automatic 4 the ppl

I see price has been listed.....€11,850.00
Old 9th February 2018, 08:12 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 13490
1,425 posts since Dec 2008
Motorbike: KTM, Triumph

Must test ride one sometime.

Last edited by bandit0; 9th February 2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 9th February 2018, 08:26 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37934
170 posts since Jan 2018
Motorbike: Previous: Kawasaki ZZR400

Originally Posted by Duke RR
I see price has been listed.....€11,850.00
May I ask what's the best place to check official Yamaha Ireland prices?
I only see prices on dealers' sites which varies. (I don't see prices on yamaha-motor.eu/ie/)
Isn't there a RRP declared/published for Ireland?
Thanks!
Old 9th February 2018, 09:56 PM
Automatic 4 the ppl

Originally Posted by SandR
May I ask what's the best place to check official Yamaha Ireland prices?
I only see prices on dealers' sites which varies. (I don't see prices on yamaha-motor.eu/ie/)
Isn't there a RRP declared/published for Ireland?
Thanks!
M-bikes worth a call
Old 9th February 2018, 10:43 PM
Veteran Racer

€11,850 according to this link by megabikes who have one in stock.
https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-f...bikes/17975149
Old 11th February 2018, 05:51 PM
Harley Riders Love A Reacharound's Avatar
Harley Riders Love A Reacharound Harley Riders Love A Reacharound is offline
Buswald Inmate

Biker.ie Member No. 26101 from Cannes, French Riviera
13,767 posts since Apr 2011
Motorbike: Panigale S/RS250/TuonoV4
Modifications: Skinny latte please

Cool! Think I'd rather a Tracer SP to be honest though
Old 11th February 2018, 06:38 PM
I like Bikes I do

Biker.ie Member No. 21686 from Sydney
2,852 posts since Apr 2010
Motorbike: Aprilia
Modifications: Air con and a sunroof....

Originally Posted by Harley Riders Love A Reacharound
Cool! Think I'd rather a Tracer SP to be honest though
Tracer gt is what they’re calling it I believe.
Old 11th February 2018, 09:32 PM
Veteran Racer

Was up in Ndm recently and steve was saying the Tracer is severly restricted by the Ecu.
They can be remapped for alot more extra torque and horses.
The stock suspension has always been a weak point on them and Ohlins rear with front fork internals changed out too makes a world of a difference.

Seen as you can get 2015 models in and vrtd for 7400e or so then 1500e on suspenders and ecu work would have a cracking bike.

The Akra system would also have to be considered if you are going to throw your hat at it.
I reckon the gt version will cost a bit more than the mt09sp.... so an older one blinged is the cheaper option if you cant stretch to new.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
aglio, basilico, mt09, review, yamaha