Motorbike: Ducati 1199, KTM 1290SDR
Modifications: Skinny jeans
My Motorcycle Pics
Supporter

Rides: Ducati 1199, KTM 1290SDR
Mods: Skinny jeans
My Motorcycle Pics
Ducati V4S with Michael Rutter onboard at the TT fun

From the TT last year. Wonder will they release the rest? A touch flighty to say the least but it seems Rutter doesn't give two fucks!
batman_oh is offline   ReplyReply
Old 21st January 2019, 02:56 PM #2
Broke racer.

Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rid
Broke racer.

Rides: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400
Mods: Shit loads for a shit rid
Re: Ducati V4S with Michael Rutter onboard at the TT fun

Looks like a handful but shouldn't be a problem to mere mortals.
PJ is offline   ReplyReply
Old 21st January 2019, 03:00 PM #3
Chief Physician

Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide
My Motorcycle Pics
Chief Physician

Rides: Royal Enfield 350
Mods: nitrous oxide
My Motorcycle Pics
Thumbs up Re: Ducati V4S with Michael Rutter onboard at the TT fun

185mph+ wheelies shortly after glen helen / cronk-y voddy on the bumpy sections and he didn't lift off !

I thought it seemed very planted and smooth (obviously on softer road settings) but what did the man himself think of it, any articles/reviews on performance bike's mag from that run ?

You really gotta respect his opinion on all matters bike related as there's too many bullshitters who don't walk-the-walk as well as him, some pace for a road bike and that V4 sounds great !
Admin is offline   ReplyReply
Old 21st January 2019, 03:27 PM #4
Clubman

Motorbike: ZX12r, 7/11 Streetfighter
Clubman

Rides: ZX12r, 7/11 Streetfighter

yes there was a big write up on it in PB mag by Rutter. Great read and bike came across very very well.
Dymag is online now   ReplyReply
Old 21st January 2019, 03:30 PM #5
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics

What issue was that in ?

Edit/ have it here, but when you go to buy it - link doesnt work /facepalm

https://www.performancebikes.co.uk/m...s//august-2018

Last edited by Admin; 21st January 2019 at 03:34 PM. Reason: updated
Old 21st January 2019, 03:48 PM #6
WSB Contender

WSB Contender

In typical Irish fashion , straight through the red light..
doohanno1 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 21st January 2019, 04:04 PM #7
Supporter

My Motorcycle Pics
Supporter

My Motorcycle Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
185mph+ wheelies shortly after glen helen / cronk-y voddy on the bumpy sections and he didn't lift off !

I thought it seemed very planted and smooth (obviously on softer road settings) but what did the man himself think of it, any articles/reviews on performance bike's mag from that run ?

You really gotta respect his opinion on all matters bike related as there's too many bullshitters who don't walk-the-walk as well as him, some pace for a road bike and that V4 sounds great !
I had a read in Easons and he really liked it. He raved about it in the magazine test too - it posted the fastest lap time with himself onboard. It's an extremely fast yoke, the 1100cc engine is a nice way of cheating really and wouldn't be a bad idea for others to adopt it and just have a race 1000cc version. It's not as if even the base ones are cheap now and they are all doing special edition versions anyway.
Old 21st January 2019, 04:44 PM #8
Supporter

Motorbike: Blue Bomber & tbc..
Supporter

Rides: Blue Bomber & tbc..

Off topic but...

How come the brake fluid in the system doesn't get aerated and become spongy when what's in the reservoir is getting the bejasus shook out of it like that ? Is there no mixing with the stuff in and downstream of the master cylinder ?
-alan- is online now   ReplyReply
Old 21st January 2019, 05:28 PM #9
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by -alan- View Post
Off topic but...

How come the brake fluid in the system doesn't get aerated and become spongy when what's in the reservoir is getting the bejasus shook out of it like that ? Is there no mixing with the stuff in and downstream of the master cylinder ?
I would imagine what's in the reservoir would never make it past the master cylinder into the brake lines unless there was a leak or the pads were extremely worn, you would often see racing bikes with no rear brake fluid reservoir at all, just a pipe up stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman_oh View Post
I had a read in Easons and he really liked it. He raved about it in the magazine test too - it posted the fastest lap time with himself onboard. It's an extremely fast yoke, the 1100cc engine is a nice way of cheating really and wouldn't be a bad idea for others to adopt it and just have a race 1000cc version. It's not as if even the base ones are cheap now and they are all doing special edition versions anyway.
Cheers boss, Got the August 2018 edition (13-page Rutter V4S review) of Performance Bikes on www.pressreader.com
Attached Thumbnails
Rutter-Panigale-Review-V4S-Performance-Bikes.jpg  
Old 21st January 2019, 09:01 PM #10
Supporter

My Motorcycle Pics
Supporter

My Motorcycle Pics

Quote:
I would imagine what's in the reservoir would never make it past the master cylinder into the brake lines unless there was a leak or the pads were extremely worn, you would often see racing bikes with no rear brake fluid reservoir at all, just a pipe up stand.

Cheers boss, Got the August 2018 edition (13-page Rutter V4S review) of Performance Bikes on www.pressreader.com
Just download that via the app on your phone yeah?
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:52 PM #11
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics
read-this Re: Ducati V4S with Michael Rutter onboard at the TT fun

Just read that, great article cheers for the heads up, he was impressed with grip and the V4's cornering after (electronically) tightening up the suspensions preload and compression, amazing that all this can be done on modern motorcycles at the flick of a switch with no special tools into awkward spring locations or preload adjusters or PHd's in engineering required for mere mortals out for a spin.

A natural evolution for this (at the TT) could be one setting (firm) for the mountain course and another 'one flick' button shortcut pre-programmed for the bumpy areas (where you could get airborne / lose steering / grip with a firmer setting) after the likes of ginger hall and kirkmichael.

This is already (kind-of) happening with the Mugen electric bikes power delivery (rather than suspension, which is currently banned under rules I think) having been remotely controlled by Chinese technicians from the pits while monitoring their riders location on GPS during the TT races.

Millisecond delay in the quickshifter between 5 & 6th, and a stronger steering damper were his only concerns and reckons the engine pulls strong (and he'd know) 'er than the BMW from mid-range on, from the sounds of it I'd say Rutter will run a V4 Ducati at this years TT, and realistically (you cant really diss them because they've throwing cash around the place as sponsor) running Dunlop tyres instead of Metzlers would not doubt have suited someone like him better.

Good article on Mugen, the Fireblade, Michael Dunlop, in fact a great overall edition of performance bikes that I just could never find on the shelves anymore, - Went to sign up for a 1-year subscription to the paper edition only to realise they're going Bust ! - fuck it. Merging with some shitty vintage bike mag to try an salvage a few sponsors and jobs I suppose, but its a sad reflection on the market and biking in general, websites gone, forums gone, magazines gone.

There's no real interest in motorbikes any more, no new blood turning up asking questions about the Joey Dunlops on TV or superfast bikes, the playstation generation don't even ride Bicycles anymore, they're mollycoddled and overfed into a safe and sedentary lifestyle with the only exercise and exertion being running to the fridge while paused for the next level of artificial reality.

Rossi and his metro sexual compatriots have done their fair share in turning the whole scene dayglo gay aswell.

Whether its thru increased euro4 legislation or inflating prices and compulsory training hurdles or warm cars with creature comforts and less danger, or a combination of all, there's very few newbies taking up motorcycling and the few who call themselves bikers, rarely venture outside their cosy living rooms for a spin anymore as there's generally more interesting chewing gum for the eyes on youtube from those that 'do'.

Ireland doesn't really feature in terms of new bike sales or statistics, being tiny in comparison to the rest of the world with a half-starved famine mentality and overzealous catholic church follow thy neighbour influence, the flash cash gets diverted into sensible scodas and toyotas for a weekly pilgrimage to see who's got a fresh numberplate in the church car-park, but properly recorded motorbike sales in the UK have shown interest and sales seriously dwindling over the past number of years - in 1980 there were 300,000 new bikes registered in the UK - down to 200,000 in the year 2000, down to 100,000 last year - and all the signs are that it's going to get worse.

Within the past 10years alone, the Supersport 600 segment has been decimated with new bike purchases dwindling down to 10% from their peak european sales of 2006 and Yamaha are pretty much the last ones clinging onto the sector with their new R6 while everyone else ceases production, albeit during a heavy international economic downturn.

Maybe this new amalgamation / magazine will be good, maybe it'll be shyte, but it's unlikely to have articles from Rutter / Johnny Mac / McGuinness etc. talking about 200mph speeds when it's main target audience (and money from advertising) is auld gits fixing shitty RD350's in their sheds that never even get ridden, and even if they do - are still total shit anyway when restored to 'factory' condition.

The budget isn't there any more for performance bike related articles - because the market is drying up - Superbikes magazine is gone, Fast Bikes is on the verge of bankruptcy, and now Performance Bikes are kaput, We'll have to put up with corporate sponsored lies from BBG & hyperbole from MCN.

Bike shops have gone wallop, forums are history, prices have gone up, the future is very bleak, a dying breed or at least de-evolution of the species into primitive pudden-headed life forms deigning onto BMW GS adventures, I blame those homo's on the Long Way Down, they had a moral imperative and obligation to pop a few wheelies, break a few lights, catch a few chases, do a few burnouts and blow a few checkpoints on superbikes (even for one episode) but went all PC and selfish and cuddling each other by candle light in tents, not even an inappropriate speeding ticket between them.

If you're looking for someone to blame, it's Charlie - I believe he was in no small part instrumental in killing off the segment and ultimately Performance Bikes Magazine, and should be accosted and raped by a tribe of Zulu warriors on his next outing for doing so (only he'd probably like that). / rant over

Old 22nd January 2019, 02:38 PM #12
Supporter

Motorbike: R1200R LC
Modifications: Spit and polish
Supporter

Rides: R1200R LC
Mods: Spit and polish

Awful pity about Performance Bikes......magazine of choice for me in my late teens and early teens when Hargreaves, Forsyth, Gus Scott and Kev Smith acting the maggot and taking bikes to France in a van kinda thing
evok is offline   ReplyReply
Old 22nd January 2019, 06:07 PM #13
Novice Racer

Motorbike: S1000r
Modifications: Usual
Novice Racer

Rides: S1000r
Mods: Usual

Ducati dealer told me at the weekend that Paul Bird is bringing the V4r to the TT and possibly the NW200 with Josh Brookes on it.Not sure how true it is but he was adamant it was happening...
Owen2737 is offline   ReplyReply
Old 22nd January 2019, 09:20 PM #14
Biker.ie old-skool

Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre
Biker.ie old-skool

Rides: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Mods: White Wall tyre

Quote:
Just read that, great article cheers for the heads up, he was impressed with grip and the V4's cornering after (electronically) tightening up the suspensions preload and compression, amazing that all this can be done on modern motorcycles at the flick of a switch with no special tools into awkward spring locations or preload adjusters or PHd's in engineering required for mere mortals out for a spin.

A natural evolution for this (at the TT) could be one setting (firm) for the mountain course and another 'one flick' button shortcut pre-programmed for the bumpy areas (where you could get airborne / lose steering / grip with a firmer setting) after the likes of ginger hall and kirkmichael.

This is already (kind-of) happening with the Mugen electric bikes power delivery (rather than suspension, which is currently banned under rules I think) having been remotely controlled by Chinese technicians from the pits while monitoring their riders location on GPS during the TT races.

Millisecond delay in the quickshifter between 5 & 6th, and a stronger steering damper were his only concerns and reckons the engine pulls strong (and he'd know) 'er than the BMW from mid-range on, from the sounds of it I'd say Rutter will run a V4 Ducati at this years TT, and realistically (you cant really diss them because they've throwing cash around the place as sponsor) running Dunlop tyres instead of Metzlers would not doubt have suited someone like him better.

Good article on Mugen, the Fireblade, Michael Dunlop, in fact a great overall edition of performance bikes that I just could never find on the shelves anymore, - Went to sign up for a 1-year subscription to the paper edition only to realise they're going Bust ! - fuck it. Merging with some shitty vintage bike mag to try an salvage a few sponsors and jobs I suppose, but its a sad reflection on the market and biking in general, websites gone, forums gone, magazines gone.

There's no real interest in motorbikes any more, no new blood turning up asking questions about the Joey Dunlops on TV or superfast bikes, the playstation generation don't even ride Bicycles anymore, they're mollycoddled and overfed into a safe and sedentary lifestyle with the only exercise and exertion being running to the fridge while paused for the next level of artificial reality.

Rossi and his metro sexual compatriots have done their fair share in turning the whole scene dayglo gay aswell.

Whether its thru increased euro4 legislation or inflating prices and compulsory training hurdles or warm cars with creature comforts and less danger, or a combination of all, there's very few newbies taking up motorcycling and the few who call themselves bikers, rarely venture outside their cosy living rooms for a spin anymore as there's generally more interesting chewing gum for the eyes on youtube from those that 'do'.

Ireland doesn't really feature in terms of new bike sales or statistics, being tiny in comparison to the rest of the world with a half-starved famine mentality and overzealous catholic church follow thy neighbour influence, the flash cash gets diverted into sensible scodas and toyotas for a weekly pilgrimage to see who's got a fresh numberplate in the church car-park, but properly recorded motorbike sales in the UK have shown interest and sales seriously dwindling over the past number of years - in 1980 there were 300,000 new bikes registered in the UK - down to 200,000 in the year 2000, down to 100,000 last year - and all the signs are that it's going to get worse.

Within the past 10years alone, the Supersport 600 segment has been decimated with new bike purchases dwindling down to 10% from their peak european sales of 2006 and Yamaha are pretty much the last ones clinging onto the sector with their new R6 while everyone else ceases production, albeit during a heavy international economic downturn.

Maybe this new amalgamation / magazine will be good, maybe it'll be shyte, but it's unlikely to have articles from Rutter / Johnny Mac / McGuinness etc. talking about 200mph speeds when it's main target audience (and money from advertising) is auld gits fixing shitty RD350's in their sheds that never even get ridden, and even if they do - are still total shit anyway when restored to 'factory' condition.

The budget isn't there any more for performance bike related articles - because the market is drying up - Superbikes magazine is gone, Fast Bikes is on the verge of bankruptcy, and now Performance Bikes are kaput, We'll have to put up with corporate sponsored lies from BBG & hyperbole from MCN.

Bike shops have gone wallop, forums are history, prices have gone up, the future is very bleak, a dying breed or at least de-evolution of the species into primitive pudden-headed life forms deigning onto BMW GS adventures, I blame those homo's on the Long Way Down, they had a moral imperative and obligation to pop a few wheelies, break a few lights, catch a few chases, do a few burnouts and blow a few checkpoints on superbikes (even for one episode) but went all PC and selfish and cuddling each other by candle light in tents, not even an inappropriate speeding ticket between them.

If you're looking for someone to blame, it's Charlie - I believe he was in no small part instrumental in killing off the segment and ultimately Performance Bikes Magazine, and should be accosted and raped by a tribe of Zulu warriors on his next outing for doing so (only he'd probably like that). / rant over

My spies tell me they're doing it again.Long way up,from sth murica to alaska.Yer man might get mugged in the amazon

I think the demise of forums is down to smart-arses talking down to young lads and making them think we're all a bunch of cnuts.Not just bike forums though,it's across the board.
SoulX is online now   ReplyReply
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:08 AM #15
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics

It's the demise of motorcycling in general, maybe the weather was better in the 80's or it was a novelty factor before playstations but the figures don't lie, there's certainly not young fellas jumping straight from 125's onto superbikes - they're just not there anymore since the middle class sportsbikes were discontinued.

In another 20yrs when all the auld gits hoarding 1980's classics (which nobody will have any memory of or want anymore) and your typical GS adventure pilot of today - are dead ,.. there's going to be a gaping hole the size of Charlie's arse, with a trail of closed shops, businesses, magazine and online outfits and probably manufacturers gone bust or 'amalgamated' (for less choice and competition) just like Performance Bikes magazine.

There'll always be a pool of headcases with deep pockets prepared to pay for new BMW's & Duke's, but with less people buying the prices will continue skywards, and you don't need a huge market or volume to make money on a €32,000 V4S for example, just a huge asking price,. which will inevitably trickle down to other makes and models further compounding the issue.

If they fed him to the Amazonian Alligators - Charlie is so full of shit he'd probably give them indigestion
Old 23rd January 2019, 07:33 PM #16
Biker.ie old-skool

Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre
Biker.ie old-skool

Rides: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Mods: White Wall tyre

You're right about young fellers not signing up but I have noticed there seems to be a fair few mature guys getting bikes these days.
Not sure if its lads who's mammy wouldn't let them have a bike when they were young or they had a bike but the ball and chain made them get rid but they are out there.
SoulX is online now   ReplyReply
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:28 PM #17
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics

Quote:
There'll always be a pool of headcases with deep pockets prepared to pay for new BMW's & Duke's, but with less people buying the prices will continue skywards, and you don't need a huge market or volume to make money on a €32,000 V4S for example, just a huge asking price,. which will inevitably trickle down to other makes and models further compounding the issue.
Press release just issued as if by magic ;

Ducati Sales Soar In 2018 (though only 37,000 superbikes sold worldwide)

Quote:
Ducati signed off 2018 in style after shifting 53,004 motorcycles to customers worldwide. Ducati claims that they have now broken the 50,000-bike per-year threshold, first reached by company in 2015, for the last four years running.

The Panigale family takes up a fair chunk of the accountant’s spreadsheet, with 9,700 bikes (70% increase on 2017), being either the V-Twin or V4 machines.

Ducati sit firmly at the top of the superbike segment with a market share of over 26%. In 2018 one superbike out of every four sold worldwide was a Ducati Panigale.

The newly introduced, and much-lauded V4 chipped in a massive 6,100 units sold globally in just its first year, more than paying back the hard work of the design and development teams who helped to created it.

Equally successful was the multi-strada range, that in 2018 scored 11,829 motorcycles sold. The family saw the addition of the new minimoto 1260 and 1260S, thanks to which sales soared by 25% (compared to 2017), with no less than 6,569 bikes sold.

Ducati CEO Claudio Domenicali had this to say:
Quote:
"While 2018 was challenging for the big motorcycles market, with slowdowns in important countries like the US, Ducati had, by the end of the year, delivered over 53,000 bikes to customers worldwide, consolidating the growth achieved in recent years.

"In 2018 we achieved stability and the year was positive both in terms of business and racing. We won numerous MotoGP races and developed an exceptional bike. In short, the solidity of the company remains undisputed, as does our penchant for driving ahead with innovation and product development so we can, over the coming years, continue offering customers new icons of style and technology.”
Bike deliveries in the USA - historically Ducati's number one market - totalled 7,843, the drop in sales reflecting a 9% downturn across the US sector of motorcycles over 500 cc.
Old 24th January 2019, 11:11 AM #18
Supporter

My Motorcycle Pics
Supporter

My Motorcycle Pics

Quote:
Press release just issued as if by magic ;

Ducati Sales Soar In 2018 (though only 37,000 superbikes sold worldwide)
Who would have thought 10 years ago that we would see the 31 grand Ducati V4S become the new GSXR - every kunt with a sportsbike has one!
Old 14th May 2019, 11:35 PM #19
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics

Part 2 (mountain section) of Rutters onboard video ;

Old 15th May 2019, 10:16 AM #20
Supporter

My Motorcycle Pics
Supporter

My Motorcycle Pics

The V4 video almost makes me want to trade in both bikes and go do that. Then the reality hits - sore back, impossible to use/frustrated bored on an average Sunday spin, 32k

Would be epic for trackdays at Mugello though!

Last edited by batman_oh; 15th May 2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 15th May 2019, 12:37 PM #21
Novice Racer

Motorbike: Kawasaki Ninja 650
Novice Racer

Rides: Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulX View Post
You're right about young fellers not signing up but I have noticed there seems to be a fair few mature guys getting bikes these days.
Not sure if its lads who's mammy wouldn't let them have a bike when they were young
Thats me, mammy said she'd kick me out if i got one. Got the 250 year at 35, replaced it this year with the 650 and sold the 250 last weekend to another lad thats about 34 (i think) whos starting out.

My younger brother (early 20s) wouldn't drive the 250 (or any mbike) at all, my other younger brother (early 30s) had to sell his bike due to his ball & chain and my dad has a bike he rarely uses.
TuneR is offline   ReplyReply
Old 15th May 2019, 05:30 PM #22
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics
Chief Physician

My Motorcycle Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman_oh View Post
The V4 video almost makes me want to trade in both bikes and go do that. Then the reality hits - sore back, impossible to use/frustrated bored on an average Sunday spin, 32k

Would be epic for trackdays at Mugello though!
Even though it's a lively pace, the North West looks very tame in comparison to the TT circuit ;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/northern-ireland/48286476

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
ducati, fun, michael, onboard, rutter, v4s