Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Ride-out meets and events

Old 7th April 2018, 08:37 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28005
410 posts since Jan 2012
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: BMW S1000RR
Default Good roads around (North/West Dublin)/Louth/Meath/West Meath/Kildare

Hey All

Usually go for a spin to Wicklow on Sundays.
Kind of sick of Sallygap, wicklow gap, tullow, laragh, etc and the roads still have loads of salt and grit on them from weeeeeeeeeeeeeeks ago!

I'm also living in North Dublin now so a trip across the M50 is a pain in the hole.

Need to know good biking roads around (North/West Dublin)/Louth/Meath/West Meath/Kildare.
Wouldn't be to inclined going past Louth/Kildare in terms of distance.

Anyone know any good driving roads out and around this direction?

Cheers
G.
Old 7th April 2018, 08:48 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 18071 from Westmeath
2,681 posts since Aug 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Mt 09 Tracer
Modifications: A Few..
Default Re: Good roads around (North/West Dublin)/Louth/Meath/West Meath/Kildare

The N52 from Mullingar to Ardee is one of the best aroundRide it with respect though, there is a few bends that are fairly tight. Let me know what you think.
Old 7th April 2018, 09:11 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

410 posts since Jan 2012
Default Re: Good roads around (North/West Dublin)/Louth/Meath/West Meath/Kildare

Originally Posted by budgerman
The N52 from Mullingar to Ardee is one of the best aroundRide it with respect though, there is a few bends that are fairly tight. Let me know what you think.
Legend!

Will give this a bash tomorrow!
Old 7th April 2018, 09:53 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by grahambo2005
Legend!

Will give this a bash tomorrow!
No bother enjoy
Old 7th April 2018, 10:16 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5630
3,269 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: Tiger 1050 Sport
Modifications: a few

Originally Posted by budgerman

expect a bit of shite on roads between ardee and carlanstown
you'll be in farming country
tis a great road, very twisty, but as above, respect it
Old 8th April 2018, 06:45 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5630

or do this
http://www.irishphotorally.ie/

you will find many class roads
Old 9th April 2018, 10:33 AM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

410 posts since Jan 2012

N52 was class!

Will go the opposite direction weekend me thinks!
Old 9th April 2018, 11:36 AM

Biker.ie Member No. 3046 from Dublin
23,102 posts since Apr 2006
Motorbike: ZZR

For a great long spin, head out towards Ashbourne from Swords and turn right onto the Naul rd (R108). Follow that all the way into Drogheda, then head out on the r166 to Termonfeckin/Clogherhead/Annagassan/Castle Bellingham and on up to Dundalk on the old rd (r132. Alternatively head straight up to Dundalk on the r132, it'll save half an hour). Take the ring rd around Dundalk and from there pick up the r173 heading to Carlingford. Keep a look out on the left for Fitzpatrick's pub, well worth a stop for grub, has won international awards and is the best pub food I've ever tasted(if you just want a sandwich/roll the garage in omeath is good). From there head out to Carlingford/Omeath/Warrenpoint. In Warrenpoint pick up the A2 to Kilkeel and turn left up into the mourne mountains on the b27 up to the Spelga Dam. At this point you should be shouting out loud in sheer joy. If not, you were never meant to be on a bike. Stop at the dam for a peaceful lunch with your sandwich from the garage. From there loop back to Dundalk via Newry and on across to Ardee on the n52, then a good fast ride down the n2 into Ashbourne and home. The road won't be full of fucktards and you'll never bother with the gap again.

Last edited by custom900; 9th April 2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 9th April 2018, 02:16 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5630

this thread has loads of info

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=82964&page=2

see post#38 :)
Old 9th April 2018, 05:36 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5056 from Drogheda
1,138 posts since Apr 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: R1150GS+R1200R+VFR1200F
Modifications: Loads

Originally Posted by custom900
For a great long spin, head out towards Ashbourne from Swords and turn right onto the Naul rd (R108). Follow that all the way into Drogheda, then head out on the r166 to Termonfeckin/Clogherhead/Annagassan/Castle Bellingham and on up to Dundalk on the old rd (r132. Alternatively head straight up to Dundalk on the r132, it'll save half an hour). Take the ring rd around Dundalk and from there pick up the r173 heading to Carlingford. Keep a look out on the left for Fitzpatrick's pub, well worth a stop for grub, has won international awards and is the best pub food I've ever tasted(if you just want a sandwich/roll the garage in omeath is good). From there head out to Carlingford/Omeath/Warrenpoint. In Warrenpoint pick up the A2 to Kilkeel and turn left up into the mourne mountains on the b27 up to the Spelga Dam. At this point you should be shouting out loud in sheer joy. If not, you were never meant to be on a bike. Stop at the dam for a peaceful lunch with your sandwich from the garage. From there loop back to Dundalk via Newry and on across to Ardee on the n52, then a good fast ride down the n2 into Ashbourne and home. The road won't be full of fucktards and you'll never bother with the gap again.
Great route, but be careful on the Carlingford/Omeath/Newry road, potholes 8" deep after the snow.
Old 9th April 2018, 05:52 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26433 from Dublin
340 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: CB 1300, Suzuki gn 125

Was doing number 7 on the photo rally. Went out to Mullingar on the motorway and took a great (but cold on Sunday) spin back though R394 to Crooked wood, Castlepollard and then on to Collinstown, Delvin, Athboy and on into Trim. Then the R154 back into Dubland. Done a lot of this in the cage in the past and promised myself I would be back on the bike - well worth it...
Old 9th April 2018, 08:18 PM
MotoSnatch Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 4874 from finglas
2,388 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: CBR 929, CB750, 125 Rebel
Modifications: the best B&Q have to offe

N52 is great, tara na ri outside navan towards kentstown is good too! also old n2 north of ashbourne at cherry picker hire, from there up to graveyard at Duleek then go right for julianstown,fast bends. Drogheda to slane to navan is good too.all depends on traffic conditions tho, if its slow it gets risky.
Old 9th April 2018, 08:20 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by grahambo2005
N52 was class!

Will go the opposite direction weekend me thinks!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, now don't go telling everybody about it
Old 9th April 2018, 08:27 PM
MotoSnatch Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 7488 from Co. Meath
1,348 posts since Dec 2007
Motorbike: Tuono V4R

Loads of great roads up around these parts.
Old 10th April 2018, 05:30 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26384 from island to the right of yu
483 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: cb500f 13 plate
Modifications: permanent ferry ticket

swords to summerhill to athlone on the 390

head for oldcastle on the way back head for drog then back into dub
Old 14th April 2018, 02:54 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3680
264 posts since Sep 2006

Originally Posted by custom900
Take the ferry from Greenore to Greencastle, into Kilkeel & take the B27 Mountain Rd, lunch in Urban in Castlewellan and back via Mayobridge with a call to Crossans (Visor Shop) if you're so inclined.

Wouldn't bother with the coast road from Carlingford to Newry. While the run between Carlingford & Omeath is class, the road from Omeath to Newry is in a really bad state.

HTH
Old 26th April 2018, 03:25 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 10000 from Drogheda
2,104 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: FZS600, F800GT

Originally Posted by sidegrinder
.. graveyard at Duleek then go right for julianstown,fast bends. ...
Ah The Track. Great road, nice and wide with nice turns and gentle elevation changes. However - do be careful though, there are a few places where cages slow down and turn right, and don't be caught out trying to overtake them because the road will look too inviting and the cagers will never see you until it's too late!!

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Ride-out meets and events

Tags
dublin or louth or meath or west, good, meath or kildare, north or west, roads