Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 8th March 2017, 06:19 PM
complete grumpy git

Biker.ie Member No. 7767 from ballinspittle
2,576 posts since Jan 2008
Motorbike: trx850
Modifications: lowering kit to fit my sh
Default Re: RSA motorcycle survey

And how long after all this will the insurance start saying they wont insure bikes over 15 years for safety reasons. I trust no one and no survey. Bike nct my arse. fuckem
Old 8th March 2017, 06:27 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 32538
243 posts since Dec 2013
Motorbike: CBR6RR
Modifications: Bungs

Originally Posted by efanton
personally I think every here and every motorcyclist should do the survey.

If we dont skew the statistic in OUR favour then the RSA and government will do what they want with the excuse they they did seek the opinion of motorcyclists first. We all know that dealerships, business interests and those that want the changes that most of us dont want WILL BE taking part in the survey.

Simply read the questions and ask yourselves why they are asking a particular question.
Its obvious with some of the questions they are looking for an excuse to put forward a certain position, so why not prevent them from doing that.

When they ask would you want an NCT say NO. Why would you need a NCT if you are servicing you bike regularly and checking your bike before each ride? the introduction of a NCT will mean the end of after market exhausts and while I am not in favour of exhausts that deafen people, I certainly want an exhaust that is loud enough so that people know I am there for my own saftety

Also the last question asks for an opinion. If everyone complained about the state of the roads, (loose surfaces, potholes etc) they could hardly ignore it. Likewise with regards the NCT. If you state NCT would be waste of time as you inspect your bike before every journey and service it more than once a year.

Play the game lads, because that is exactly what this is. A game played by bureaucrats to justify their opinion and not the reality of the vast majority of the motorcyclists in this country. Dont let them introduce unnecessary restrictions and laws and by not doing the survey thats exactly what you will be doing.
What he said.

As for RSA, looks like they put an ad in BBG so they can claim, "we consulted the motorcycle riding community" and also claim the low number of responses / objections they received proves "the motorcycle community had no objection" to the introduction of a bike NCT, and they had no other bike-related opinions either.

Fill it in, lads.

Old 8th March 2017, 06:29 PM
Serial buyer of keepers.

Biker.ie Member No. 13184 from Wesht Clare
9,407 posts since Nov 2008
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: TBS, Bavarian Rocket.
Modifications: Extra Db and polish.

Originally Posted by grumpy1
And how long after all this will the insurance start saying they wont insure bikes over 15 years for safety reasons. I trust no one and no survey. Bike nct my arse. fuckem
Jasus , you are very Grumpy.
Old 8th March 2017, 08:16 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 36931 from carlow ireland
51 posts since Feb 2017
Motorbike: 97,fireblade 900rr

Ye i took ages to do.the big problem i would have with it is them shooting the price of nct for bikes up to extort money from ya once it went ahead little sneaky hikes in the price every now and then.just like the doe for the vans at a nice 111euro at the moment and another nice 46euro for retest. just another money spinner really
Old 8th March 2017, 08:52 PM
Interceptor

I have seven bikes, the fucken last thing I need is a cunting NCT on them all every year. This is bullshit...

'cptr
Old 8th March 2017, 09:35 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,765 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

It won't happen, there is still no such thing as a qualification as a bike mechanic in Ireland so who is to test them ?
A brand new system to be set up....they discuss it every few years and then it is postponed for another 2 years as it's not financially viable and nobody want to be responsible for it
Old 8th March 2017, 09:58 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 15307 from Wexford
2,189 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: zx10r
Modifications: gets the odd wash

Originally Posted by proinnsias
If you have an opinion - fill it in, and use the comments form at the end

We (MAG) got no notice on this, yet there's full page ads in BBG for it - so make of that what you will (BBG readers might well make for a slightly different demographic?)

However: to put things in context - we had broadly 2500 new bikes sold in 2016 - yet we had about 7500 first registrations of imports ... mostly from the UK and Germany where we have confidence because such tests exist.

Someone at the show put it to me that the average "mint" bike on Donedeal had been in the back of a cement mixer for an hour ... maybe, just maybe, an NBT isn't the worst idea out there?
You'd probably know the stats on this one..

Am I right in saying that the stats on road accidents for bikes is something like 2% down to mechanical issues and most of those were tyres?

So can we just save the few quid and put it towards tyres?

EDIT: Damn survey will only let me leave a thousand characters in the comment section.

Last edited by akkakkman; 8th March 2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 8th March 2017, 11:02 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 9275
926 posts since Apr 2008

Originally Posted by akkakkman
You'd probably know the stats on this one..

Am I right in saying that the stats on road accidents for bikes is something like 2% down to mechanical issues and most of those were tyres?

So can we just save the few quid and put it towards tyres?

EDIT: Damn survey will only let me leave a thousand characters in the comment section.
Yep. Discovered after I'd typed nearly 3000 fierce words...

Took me 12 minutes. The second time. After I accidentally closed the tab the first time. On the last page. After 35 minutes.

"How often do you use front brake or throttle-back when going round a corner or bend"?

Fuck sake?! Front brake or throttle-back? At this stage of my riding, shame on me if I need front brake mid-corner or mid-bend, but if I really need to lose speed in a bend I'll throttle back (not front brake), but selecting any answer for this is creating a data set that says bikers use front brake when taking a corner or bend. Front brake or throttle-back are two very different answers.

I sense that the creation of this questionnaire didn't involve many people who actually ride bikes.

Confidential and anonymous, eh? Until you enter your details to qualify to win the Shoei NeoTec...

The Man really has The People by the balls at every turn, wha...

But every biker in Ireland really does have an obligation to complete this survey. And I only hope the more obsequious of our number think long and hard before they make their selections...
Old 8th March 2017, 11:10 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
632 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Fuck sake?! Front brake or throttle-back? At this stage of my riding, shame on me if I need front brake mid-corner or mid-bend, but if I really need to lose speed in a bend I'll throttle back (not front brake), but selecting any answer for this is creating a data set that says bikers use front brake when taking a corner or bend. Front brake or throttle-back are two very different answers.
Like I said in my post, its obvious by the way the put the questions and the possible answers that they are trying to get a certain outcome to this survey.
Use you common sense here, answer you NEVER need to you front brake or throttle-back on ANY corner. there's a couple of question like that in this survey, my guess id they are there to make a justification for further training.
Old 8th March 2017, 11:24 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 15307 from Wexford
2,189 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: zx10r
Modifications: gets the odd wash

Originally Posted by Phaedrus
Yep. Discovered after I'd typed nearly 3000 fierce words...

Confidential and anonymous, eh? Until you enter your details to qualify to win the Shoei NeoTec...
I had 4k words took ages to pare it back.
I just left my email for the free helmet. Wonder did they pay VAT on it...
Nice to see everyone is using the word obsequious these days

Originally Posted by efanton
Like I said in my post, its obvious by the way the put the questions and the possible answers that they are trying to get a certain outcome to this survey.
Use you common sense here, answer you NEVER need to you front brake or throttle-back on ANY corner. there's a couple of question like that in this survey, my guess id they are there to make a justification for further training.
I guess they are trying to gather more data on top of what they already know. Like drink driving habits and single vehicle accident causes as per their statistics on the subject.
Old 9th March 2017, 12:59 AM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 9275
926 posts since Apr 2008

For my opinion, I gave a bit about the idiocy and arrogance of the general cage-driving population, the state of road surfaces, etc.

Regarding a bike NCT, I said that bikers would likely trust themselves over some NCT operator, and we all generally keep our bikes well maintained anyway, rendering an NCT-type check superfluous, unnecessary and irrelevant. Bikers do generally know a lot more about what's mechanically going on beneath them than the average cage driver knows about his cage.

Of course, as many current bikers seem to be hitherto recently cage-only users, who may have carried with them sit-in-the-queue and do-whatever-The-Man-says mentalities, their position on such matters might well be more aligned with acceptance of the cage NCT, not wanting to be doing any mechanical/maintenance work themselves, maybe not wanting to even know about it (hand the keys to the dealer and collect a freshly serviced bike a couple of days later), and trusting that biker's safety really is The Man's primary goal.

I'm not knocking those riders here - we're all bikers. But I hope those guys do realise that this NBT idea is interfering where it's so far never been necessary, and that all isn't necessarily as it seems with this stuff.
Old 9th March 2017, 09:49 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29502 from Meath
104 posts since Aug 2012
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Yamaha FZ6 & Shadow 1100

I agree.. all bikers should be filling out this survey (maybe biker.ie campaign to fill the survey??). You have to play the game else decisions will be taken based on skewed data...

Piece of advice - read the questions carefully esp. the related to alcohol, collisions & safety. I would say that some of the "what would you do scenario questions" are sneaky at best

The survey is long and all the easy questions are asked up-front to get you in a rhythm of clicking the options & then he sneaky questions pop-up out of the blue....Not sure what the actual Intent is here....

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety...clists-Survey/

1. Do you work in any of the following occupations
2. Gender
3. Age
4. Occupation timeline (fulltime/parttime)
5. County
6. Area you live in - city, town, village etc.
7. Have you ridden a motorcycle on a public road in the last 12 months?
8. How long have you been riding motorcycles on public roads
9. How many kms have you ridden in the last 12 months
10. Engine size of the bike
11. Type of motorcycle
12. First year of registration of the bike
13. Do you have a bike license/permit of any type
14. How long have you held the permit?

15. In the past 12 months how often do you ride during winter
options
In fog
Snow or ice
social.group outings
commuting
work
sports purposes
pleasure
in built-up areas
country roads
motorways
in dark
in rain/wet

16. In the past 12 months how often do you ride in summer (same options as above)

17. For recreational purposes what distance would you travel on a typical journey
18. What practical license test have you taken
19. What training courses hvae you taken
20. How likely is that in the next 3 years you will take futher bike training
21. Do you below to a bike org or club?
22. penalty points while riding bike

Next section deals with Road collisions including minor incidents or spills

23. Minor spill in last 2 years?
24. Near-miss collision/narrowly escaped collision

Servicing and maintenance

25. How often do you check the following on your bike (seals, stands, tyes, brakes, coolant, chain etc.)

26. How often do you service your bike
27. Where do you get it serviced (dealer, mechanic etc.)

28. Modifications on the bike

29. While riding how often do you - Read carefully ..this is a tricky one esp. the helmet question

30. helmet quality mark on your helmet

31. Riding behaviour
Very tricky questions if you skim over them...read carefully

32. Drink driving

33. Agree/disagree with the follwing statments - again read carefully before answering

34. Driven a cage/van
35. How many kms in the last 12 months
36. Collisions

Last edited by Havoc123; 9th March 2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 9th March 2017, 10:53 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
632 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Originally Posted by kwackquack
It won't happen, there is still no such thing as a qualification as a bike mechanic in Ireland so who is to test them ?
A brand new system to be set up....they discuss it every few years and then it is postponed for another 2 years as it's not financially viable and nobody want to be responsible for it
And that's precisely the threat.

No doubt some private company will train monkeys and give them a big shiny certificate specifically to perform a bike test. With only a single company licensed to perform tests the charges will eventually sky rocket. Rip off Ireland is alive and well and we can be certain certain TD's will be 'looked after' by certain business interests to ensure testing is introduced if we let it happen.

If there is to be a test we as bikers should insist that dealers and our local mechanics should be entitled to carry out these tests as long as they have the equipment to do so exactly as it is in the UK.

Personally I have no problem with a test in principle, it certainly would help stop people selling death traps on dungdeal, but unless the biking community had a say in what the test would involve I would be afraid that after market exhausts and other modifications would result in an instant failure. It is for this reason we should be campaigning for NO NBT until we are satisfied that the NBT can be performed by the mechanics we trust, wont be affected by after market exhausts or common modification many of which we do for our own personal safety
Old 9th March 2017, 11:10 AM
Serial buyer of keepers.

Biker.ie Member No. 13184 from Wesht Clare
9,407 posts since Nov 2008
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: TBS, Bavarian Rocket.
Modifications: Extra Db and polish.

Unless they can prove a connection between motorcycle deaths and injuries/accidents and mechanical failure /issues its bullshit.
Motorcyclists don't need this shit, it will do nothing to for safety for the majority of us who ride well maintained bikes , and it certainly wont do anything to make the tiny minority of idiots who will ignore a test anyway.

If they really want to make motorcycling safer they would do better to stop farmers spreading shite on the roads, ban 16 yr olds driving 16ton tractors under rules introduced when grey TVO Masseys were the norm and bring in testing for all agricultural machinery, most of which don't have any proper lighting or decent tyres .
Ban cheesecutter wire central reservation barriers,stop "surface dressing" with gravel, stop putting overbanding everywhere, think about where they put manhole covers. Jasus the list is endless, but no. Its easier to nail us with an un necessary NCT test.
Old 9th March 2017, 11:23 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23039
3,998 posts since Jul 2010

Originally Posted by Admin
That survey, under the guise of road safety, is designed to gauge public reaction to a compulsory NCT / NBT which forces people into buying newer bikes and putting older more affordable motorbikes off the road, just like the national car test did.

Attachment 179070Attachment 179068Attachment 179069

Statistics will be gathered and skewed to represent '90% of bikers do not oppose a national bike test in our survey', and the smoke screen of hydrocarbon emission limits will become a brief central topic of discussion for motorcycles in the dail, who inevitably rubber stamp all proposals from Europe if there's even an inkling of more revenue (from bikers) to pay for it.

We 'need to do our bit' will be the mantra from RSA/Enda and his cohorts to facilitate some fake news story that was invented years ago to garner support and funding for a bunch of tree hugging friends of the earth who wanted to play with dolphins and couldn't handle the prospect of getting a real job.

The Euro4 debacle already sees huge monstrosity sized exhausts, lobbed onto one side of a motorcycle increasing its weight and in my opinion, decreasing safety in order to conform with both noise control restrictions as well as exhaust emissions to 'save our planet'.

Only problem with their argument is the smelting of platinum (used in catalytic converters) releases toxic fumes and metals into the air, which dissolve in water and gets absorbed by plants and animals, and ultimately ingested by humans down the food chain, probably causing cancer among other as yet unresearched ailments since the 70's when all this green house gas bullshit became an issue, and where poisonous emissions from this refining process (such as osmium) have since been measured as increasing 100-fold in one blanket of toxic dust that's covered the earth within the past few decades.

This is the spectre our well-meaning friends refuse to face, instead choosing to fuck around with penguins and roll about in the snow of the polar ice caps taking selfies, the consequence of such extraction to ironically, both metallurgically and otherwise, facilitate 'a greener earth' probably won't be revealed for another 50 or 100 years.

So " bypass that shit and fit proper exhausts " ?

All fine and dandy but ends up costing the biker even more money, discounting an 800euro aftermarket free-flowing pipe with no catacombs or honeycombs of precious metals extracted from the earth at huge cost, both environmental and financial, there will be big deterrents down the road for 'interfering' with your own bike and OEM emissions equipment, for instance the mandatory fine down Australasia for removing a catalytic converter is now 10,000 !

Apart from VW being roasted to the tune of billions for circumventing this hydrocarbon emissions bolloxology with an alternative electronic 'map' for more range and better performance, Harley Davidson have just been fined $12,000,000 for selling screaming eagle aftermarket bolt-ons accessories to do likewise and which were clearly marked ' for race use only ' ; so it's a slippery slope for bikers, rant over - RSA/Government/Surveys/Monkeys & Statistic Gatherers are all a pack of cunts - the end.
We are in the Saturn Matrix, and we are being manipulated by The Archons
Old 9th March 2017, 11:36 AM
Head up, arse down

Biker.ie Member No. 15745 from Mainistir Ban, Corcaigh
1,739 posts since Apr 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XL1000VA GS425E TS250/1
Modifications: Insulin

Originally Posted by eyore
Unless they can prove a connection between motorcycle deaths and injuries/accidents and mechanical failure /issues its bullshit.
Motorcyclists don't need this shit, it will do nothing to for safety for the majority of us who ride well maintained bikes , and it certainly wont do anything to make the tiny minority of idiots who will ignore a test anyway.

If they really want to make motorcycling safer they would do better to stop farmers spreading shite on the roads, ban 16 yr olds driving 16ton tractors under rules introduced when grey TVO Masseys were the norm and bring in testing for all agricultural machinery, most of which don't have any proper lighting or decent tyres .
Ban cheesecutter wire central reservation barriers,stop "surface dressing" with gravel, stop putting overbanding everywhere, think about where they put manhole covers. Jasus the list is endless, but no. Its easier to nail us with an un necessary NCT test.
Old 9th March 2017, 12:02 PM
Finally graduating from2T

Biker.ie Member No. 20467 from North County Dublin
4,180 posts since Feb 2010
Motorbike: NSR 250s, R6 13s
Modifications: Loud can

Fill it out twice - took 4 minutes the 2nd time and had a good rant at the end about the state of roads and the lack of commentary by RSA of this point. Come on lads - do your bit!
Old 9th March 2017, 12:13 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 13781 from de county Galway
1,346 posts since Dec 2008
Motorbike: yamaha tzr250,and superexup
Modifications: all

Some pure dodge and irrelevant questions in there all right.and relevant ones missing.conclusion?alterior motives.
Do your bit folks!don't let them make up their own rules.
Seriously tho,"I don't know if I shud wear a helmet","I go around corners too fast and scare myself","I like to gun it from the lights and race the vehicle beside me",cos I'm a dirty biker and need laws to correct me?hmmmm
And where's the cage equivalent survey?
"I like driving cos it gives me time to catch up on facetwit,and I never look for other road users cos I'm too important", there'd be uproar if that was tried
Old 9th March 2017, 12:20 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 30652 from Bannana Tree in Blackpool
570 posts since Dec 2012
Motorbike: Honda 400/4
Modifications: classic

RSA bunch of cunts, what do you expect of a state company who had Gay Byrne as its head? a cunt who never did a driving test in his life and drove around pissed
I emailed them b4 about a query, took them 12 days to reply and got 3 different answers to same email, was 3hrs waiting on the phone another time
Old 9th March 2017, 12:26 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
8,209 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Originally Posted by kwackquack
What makes you think the cage testers are qualified?A lot of them have no qualifications of any type.When the nct was being set up the plan was to hire mechanics but the pay and conditions were a joke so most guys(myself included)declined the offer of a job with them.They just hired anyone after that so they could get up and running.No disrespect to the lads there who know what they're doing

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
bike, dyno, independent, irish, motorcycle, reporting, rsa, survey, tuning, unbiased

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed