Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 15th April 2019, 05:49 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
8,157 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre
Default Re: How old is too old.

When I was a lad my aul fella used to regail us with tales of his adventures on various Triumphs,Jawas and even a brief spell with an Aerial square four.He bought a Honda 50 when I was about 10 or 11.I learned to ride on that yoke and eventually inherited it when I was 15 and he bought a CD185.I've had fuck knows how many bikes since then,even a 2 stroke Harley for a very short time.My kids have grown up with bikes everywhere and they all started early.My eldest daughter had her first spin at 6mths old.Never been without a bike since that first pos Honda 50 and never owned a cage.
Old 15th April 2019, 06:04 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32420 from North Offaly
188 posts since Nov 2013
Motorbike: A hape a Hondas
Modifications: pension book

Old 15th April 2019, 06:07 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 10000 from Drogheda
2,154 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: F800GT

Never too old to keep riding, sure riding makes you younger anyway.

I started off in early 90s on my dads scooter - A Bajaj Chetak - they sold millions of these around the world, and a lot of them are still in use. Thanks to this scooter and it's engine on the right side, I still sit crooked and leaning to a side on all my bikes.

Click the image to open in full size.

Then I got to ride a few more borrowed bikes - the fantastic Yamaha RX100, the very meh Suzuki Shogun, some Kawasaki, a Hero Honda.. all Indian bikes with around 100-150cc engine as you can probably guess from their names. Then of course the now-famous Royal Enfield Bullets - 350cc - felt like a monster of a bike back then.

Then after a hiatus from bikes, I got back on them with a Fazer 600 - commuter - 12000 kms per year for nearly 10 years. And finally a F800GT. All too boring and too sensible. I do fancy something different and not-so-practical for my next bike.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:00 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 28530
72 posts since Mar 2012
Motorbike: gtr 1400

never too old I started young then family arrived I went back to bikes when they were reared in my 40s and I am nearer to 60 now and still biking.it all depends on your own mental state and of course your pocket
Old 15th April 2019, 10:10 PM
Clubman
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 32804
109 posts since Feb 2014

Originally Posted by waterman View Post
never too old I started young then family arrived I went back to bikes when they were reared in my 40s and I am nearer to 60 now and still biking.it all depends on your own mental state and of course your pocket
That's excalty the same situation I'm in now.
Family have gone their own way, so more time and a bit more money to get back into biking.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:46 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32047 from Bray
602 posts since Aug 2013
Motorbike: BusaK8 Versys650 Blade 08
Modifications: sack n' crack wax.

Back in 1987 as a fresh faced 17 year old with his first job, I somehow convinced my warm hearted Mother to go guarantor on a brand new RG125 gamma.
The testosterone/grey matter ratio weighed heavily on the side of the hormone and every manner of lowside, highside, smidsy, T-bone, loop and endo ensued.
After a couple of years of wide open throttle, an ingrained survival instinct finally emerged and I gave them up (save for some flip-flop clad holiday excursions, as much to impress girls as the enjoyment of riding.
However! I returned to the conveyance at the age of Christ and have been doing it as a religion each day since. With track-days and touring, sport rides and commuting I am a disciple and student of all things motorcycle.
Just gotta get the hang of them wheelies...

Last edited by RobbieBeGood; 16th April 2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 16th April 2019, 07:30 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26433 from Dublin
412 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: CB 1300, Suzuki gn 125

Had no interest in bikes until the age of 18 when working in the freight business there was a group of fellas on bikes known as" dock runners". These were lads (and some ladies) that transported papers to customs and excise in the day before emails. I graduated from a lowly pen pusher to being allowed out onto the road
350lc's, powervalves, kmx 200 and cx500s were royalty but I had to make do with a lowly suzi gs125.
Bar a couple of years off I have been on bikes ever since 32 years and counting. During the new house/kids years when I was bikeless my brother (who used to be a member on here) bought a cbr400. Had a go on it and realised that I had to get back on 2 wheels.
Would never be without a bike now...
Old 16th April 2019, 09:03 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2026 from your mama's womb.. !
7,597 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: Zimmerframe.
Modifications: Ur kiddin' right.!

Originally Posted by Jack stowage View Post
Sorry i was thinking of something else....
..plus 1 ..
Old 16th April 2019, 09:25 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37721 from Co. Limerick
42 posts since Oct 2017
Motorbike: Kawasaki Ninja 250R

My dad had a Jawa 250/350 when i was very small and he used take us (myself and bros) over the road on it. Loved bikes and got magazines and stuff but my mother wouldn't let me get a bike or she'd kick me out. Same with 2 of my bros, 1 did it about 7 years ago anyway and has reverted to cars in Oz whereas I got into cars originally and decided it was about time last year to get into biking. Its also given my dad the want again and he has decided to sell his Burgman for another bike.
Old 16th April 2019, 12:02 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 6534 from cuckooland
5,448 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: s1000xr

Originally Posted by renniks View Post
I've been biking since I was in Fas after college, and it is my only means of transport - I never learned to drive a cage, and I'm now 44.
Lately, I've actually been thinking about selling my bikes, as I use them so little. The CRF250 Rally I got last year is only just about to hit the 2500km mark. My 1150GS has been sat up since last Sept, and is only ever used to drive up to Dublin on. I don't mind getting the bus up/back, when I am visiting the folks, and once up in Dublin, I either walk/cycle/bus/Luas to get around. So I was thinking I could quite easily get rid of the lot of the bikes I have and not miss them too much.

Has anyone else taken a break from bikes for years?
couple of fatalities and serious injuries in last few years to known associates, i now have no road bike, all off road at the minute, just lost interest on road stuff for now
Old 16th April 2019, 01:31 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 8707 from Kill. Co.Kildare
792 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: Constantly changing
Modifications: Always standard

Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
Had no interest in bikes until the age of 18 when working in the freight business there was a group of fellas on bikes known as" dock runners". These were lads (and some ladies) that transported papers to customs and excise in the day before emails. I graduated from a lowly pen pusher to being allowed out onto the road
350lc's, powervalves, kmx 200 and cx500s were royalty but I had to make do with a lowly suzi gs125.
Bar a couple of years off I have been on bikes ever since 32 years and counting. During the new house/kids years when I was bikeless my brother (who used to be a member on here) bought a cbr400. Had a go on it and realised that I had to get back on 2 wheels.
Would never be without a bike now...
I was a ''dock runner '' back in the '70s - everyday the same , 15 mins to get to the Customs House before it closed ( in the out -gate a full revs ) and then full speed along the wet train tracks on Alexandra Road. Lethal occupation.
Old 16th April 2019, 04:57 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 38286 from meath
5 posts since May 2018
Motorbike: GSF600,R1150RT

Started biking at 35. At this rate I'll have a car for my 70th.
Old 16th April 2019, 10:25 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 38107 from Co Derry
69 posts since Mar 2018
Motorbike: S1000r
Modifications: Usual

Started on bikes at 15 and been on them ever since.49 now.Think I was without a bike for about 3 months once.Wife told me to get away out and buy something...says I was unbearably grumpy without a bike! :-)
Old 17th April 2019, 07:16 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26433 from Dublin
412 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: CB 1300, Suzuki gn 125

Originally Posted by ENGLISH View Post
I was a ''dock runner '' back in the '70s - everyday the same , 15 mins to get to the Customs House before it closed ( in the out -gate a full revs ) and then full speed along the wet train tracks on Alexandra Road. Lethal occupation.
Agreed, I had more spills in 2 years doing this than in all the following years. No ibt, just a 1 hour "lesson" with irish school of motoring" in a car park on the nth circular, get a provisinal and yer good to go. Was good craic though...
Old 17th April 2019, 08:47 AM
Biker.ie old-skool

Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
Agreed, I had more spills in 2 years doing this than in all the following years. No ibt, just a 1 hour "lesson" with irish school of motoring" in a car park on the nth circular, get a provisinal and yer good to go. Was good craic though...
You were spoilt,my "lesson" consisted of the aul fella pointing out the throttle,gears and brakes
then sent me on my way.
2 days after my 16th birthday I walked in to the county hall,filled in the form
(have you read and understood the rules of the road?Never even saw the r.o.t.r.)
paid my monies and rode home.Happy days
Old 17th April 2019, 09:05 AM
Finally graduating from2T

Biker.ie Member No. 20467 from North County Dublin
4,178 posts since Feb 2010
Motorbike: NSR 250s, R6 13s
Modifications: Loud can

Ideally one would have picked up biking at a young age; continuously improve so that as an old toger, you've got well honed skills to go with your more patience driving attitude.

If not, at least at an older age, you're probably less in a hurry.
Old 17th April 2019, 04:00 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 28259
73 posts since Feb 2012

I was 8 ,
started on a Africa Twin.
Kept falling over
Old 17th April 2019, 05:28 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27858 from tipp
121 posts since Dec 2011
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: ktm950sm,kz1000,st50 dax

Originally Posted by SoulX View Post
When I was a lad my aul fella used to regail us with tales of his adventures on various Triumphs,Jawas and even a brief spell with an Aerial square four.He bought a Honda 50 when I was about 10 or 11.I learned to ride on that yoke and eventually inherited it when I was 15 and he bought a CD185.I've had fuck knows how many bikes since then,even a 2 stroke Harley for a very short time.My kids have grown up with bikes everywhere and they all started early.My eldest daughter had her first spin at 6mths old.Never been without a bike since that first pos Honda 50 and never owned a cage.
What was the 2 stroke harley like ?
Old 17th April 2019, 06:15 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Originally Posted by dinny1300 View Post
What was the 2 stroke harley like ?
Shit.
It was a re-badged Aaermachi.I bought it as a non-runner but I couldn't get parts or info so I lost interest and sold it.
wouldn't be going down that road again
Old 17th April 2019, 07:18 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27858 from tipp
121 posts since Dec 2011
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: ktm950sm,kz1000,st50 dax

Originally Posted by SoulX View Post
Shit.
It was a re-badged Aaermachi.I bought it as a non-runner but I couldn't get parts or info so I lost interest and sold it.
wouldn't be going down that road again
I came across a 250 harley recently ,its a cagiva sst badged as a harley ,a proper oddball

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed