Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 25th February 2019, 12:22 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 38623 from Dublin
7 posts since Oct 2018
Motorbike: Triumph Street Triple
Modifications: None
Default Leathers

Looking to invest in leathers for sunday spins and eventually a few track days.
Any tips for best fitting, price, 1 or 2 piece etc ??

Been looking online mostly, huge difference in price between the brands not looking to spend a fortune just get a decent quality suit to start

Ta
Old 25th February 2019, 01:45 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
664 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare
Default Re: Leathers

Uninformed question; Do racetracks not insist on one piece leathers?
Old 25th February 2019, 01:59 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
623 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Ok, going to bite, on what cold be a troll question

Why do you sugesst that leathers are the solution to appropriate clothing for a 'Sunday spin'

Seriously got to ask why would anyone that has actually ridden a bike and enjoyed it, restrict that to a weekend activity? Personaly speaking I would ride a bike every day of the week, if circumstances allowed.

Anyway back to your original question. Leathers are without doubt the best protection currently available if you happend to be dumped of a bike on to a hard unforgiving asphalt road.

Leather are however pretty useless if you intend to ride more than 30 minutes in our predominate climate of rain. Just in case you are one of our recent immigrates you will realise that it rains on most day of the year in Ireland. So on balance leathers are not what you need unless you are going to be strictly a sunny weather Sunday rider, or can afford to buy a decent set of waterproof textile weather gear as well

So if you are looking for appropriate gear to protect you throughout the year then I would suggest you look at a decent quality textile suit. It will cost you a similar amount to a leather suit so don't be mistaken that leather is a better quality product.

My advice is go to a local dealer, be totally honest as regards your experience and how often you will ride and let them advice you.

There are brands out there that are renown for their weatherproof clothing such as Rukka (and cost accordingly) , there are other brands out there that suit the lads that go out on the tracks. Its horses for courses, what's best for you might not be ideal for everyone else

Talk to your local dealer and then ask for advice and clarification here would be my advice.

And for gods sake DONT buy any protective gear (helmets, jack-ets, leggings) online unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain it will fit you perfectly. Badly fitting protection is NO PROTECTION. the horror stories than can be told of injuries or deaths due to inappropriate protective gear are many. If the difference between a bargain on the interwebs and buying local is €50 or so then personally I would buy local just to be sure its the proper fit and appropriate for what I need.

Last edited by efanton; 25th February 2019 at 02:12 AM.
Old 25th February 2019, 07:03 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26433 from Dublin
415 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: CB 1300, Suzuki gn 125

Dont know where you are going with "it rains on most days of the year in Ireland". It doesnt. Take the last 7 days - hardly a drop, unless you have some sort of microclimate going on in the people republic!
Have textiles for cold wetter days and leathers for summer use. I would wait for the bike show and get along to the rds early before the crowds arrive and see if there are any bargains to be had. Think there is usually a fella down from the north that sells some good second hand leather gear.
Rst and richa re good mid price brands and Dainese and Alpinestars tend to cost a bit more. Try it on . The armour should be snug against your body but a jacket shouldnt hinder any movement...
Old 25th February 2019, 08:14 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 15313 from Wherever i lay my hat
1,013 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: Whatevers popular
Modifications: cyclist skewer

Originally Posted by me2
Uninformed question; Do racetracks not insist on one piece leathers?
Two piece must zip together,,,,
Old 25th February 2019, 08:51 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,753 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

Originally Posted by Jack stowage
Two piece must zip together,,,,
And all way around not just at the back as far as I know
Old 25th February 2019, 09:01 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 38635
118 posts since Oct 2018
Motorbike: GSX250R
Modifications: Nein

Most tracks will allow two piece suits, I got away with a Dainese jacket and pants which just had a small zip on the back attaching them.

Maybe op is a commuter and is just looking for better protection for his Sunday spins as the riding would be more "spirited" than his trip through town.

If you are simply going to use it for the odd Sunday and trackdays, 100% get a 1 piece, unfortunately you will have to try on to get the best fit or possibly even get some made if you are strangely proportioned.

I went with two piece as I wear it all the time while riding, even rain, it keeps me dry although I know it's not good for the leather. The two piece allows me a bit more freedom if I'm not feeling full power ranger mode I can just wear the jacket with some reinforced jeans etc.
Old 25th February 2019, 09:11 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2138
5,318 posts since Aug 2005
Motorbike: Ducati 1199, KTM 1290SDR
Modifications: Skinny jeans

If it's mostly road use do not buy a 1 piece unless you love being uncomfortable every time you stop for food or want a shit.

2 piece is a million times better and a decent one will be grand for trackdays too.
Old 25th February 2019, 09:43 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,524 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.

What you want to wear on the road is completely up to yourself. When you are on any track, you MUST wear leathers. The only exception to this is the "Track training days" at Mondello. 2 piece are acceptable provided they zip together most of the way round. DO NOT use the ones that have the small zip at the back. Always zip them together before going out on track. The reason for this is simple. When they are not zipped up, if you take a spin down the track on your back, the jack et will ride up to your shoulders, and you will be requiring skin grafts. Take my advice on this, I've seen it happen enough times. The small zips are as useless as no zip. One piece leathers are worn by every racer in the world for this reason, and no other. They provide better protection, no argument. So, the question now for you is, how tolerant are you of pain versus how comefortable do you want to feel. Go to Cotters or someone like them and get their advice.

Last edited by bow leg; 25th February 2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 25th February 2019, 12:42 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 31168 from North Dublin
893 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: VFR800X-Tracer9-Caponord
Modifications: Via Est Vita

4SR from Cotters.
Old 25th February 2019, 01:10 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 38623 from Dublin
7 posts since Oct 2018
Motorbike: Triumph Street Triple
Modifications: None

Defo not a troll question... i own a good set of textiles i use for the commute but have never owned a set of leathers.

I am heading to the bike show at the wknd I’ll have a look there first.. the prices online for the likes of a Berik suit seem very cheap in comparison to the likes of alpinestars etc

Is there a notable difference between the leather or is it just paying for the brand??
Old 25th February 2019, 02:57 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 21867 from Dublin
1,594 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: giant mtb
Modifications: front disc brakes

Originally Posted by rubble
Defo not a troll question... i own a good set of textiles i use for the commute but have never owned a set of leathers.

I am heading to the bike show at the wknd I’ll have a look there first.. the prices online for the likes of a Berik suit seem very cheap in comparison to the likes of alpinestars etc

Is there a notable difference between the leather or is it just paying for the brand??
Like anything else - horses for courses.

The bikeshow is the perfect way to try on diff brands. I have Alpine's myself and they fit perfectly - I tired dainese but werent comfortable at all.

Try on the diff brands - get a two piece that zips together (all around) and make sure the fit is 100%
Old 25th February 2019, 03:17 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,753 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

Bikeshow is actually a good suggestion to try on different stuff but go early as it so crammed/jammed later on in the day
Old 25th February 2019, 05:00 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32047 from Bray
602 posts since Aug 2013
Motorbike: BusaK8 Versys650 Blade 08
Modifications: sack n' crack wax.

Get a 2 piece with full zip together for road versatility that still complies with trackday regulations. RST are fairly good bang per buck.
Old 26th February 2019, 12:14 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 14640
49 posts since Feb 2009
Motorbike: Yamaha XSR 700, Yamaha R1

Also recommend a 2-pc that zips together.

I bought a 2-pc alpinestars set of leathers last year for trackdays. (replacing a 10 year old set of RST 2pc leathers). I'm really happy with them but they were not very cheap (about 700 euro)

I'd only get a 1-pc if you are going to actually go racing. 2-pc is fine for Mondello track-days provided they zip together. They are a lot more practical for day-to-day usage and going to the bathroom.

The other issue with 1pc is that fitting is a lot harder. I'm tall 6'1 and pretty lean (75kg). I've never found a 1pc that fits well because in order to get the length I need to get several sizes too big.

I ended up getting the alpinestars because they offer tall sizing (as does Dainese).

fc-moto.de do some nice berik and arlen ness 2-pc suits for 350-400. I would have bought one of them if they did tall sizes.
Old 28th February 2019, 06:55 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 15044 from Dublin
471 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: Yamaha Fazer 1000

get two piece definitely as much more versatile. Brand wise it's personal preference but Dainese and Alpinestar do best quality kit by a mile in my opinion as far as leather is concerned. Also kangaroo leather is the safest that's what pros are wearing but this is differeny price points compared to cow hide
Old 28th February 2019, 07:16 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 36294 from the big smoke
3,111 posts since Jun 2016
Motorbike: bicycle
Modifications: big belly

Avoid abu from india/Pakistan on face bok also
Old 28th February 2019, 08:14 PM
plumber for hire

Biker.ie Member No. 16432 from cork
10,354 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: 2017 s1000rr
Modifications: brakes, pipes

I'm a head for spins type. I actually prefer one piece. Find it less bulky and more comfortable.
Old 3rd April 2019, 03:25 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 27122 from Shankill, Dublin
129 posts since Jul 2011
Motorbike: Super Blackbird XX
Modifications: two wheels

Bought mine, two piece, RST from sportsbike shop.uk
Jacket €177
Pants €151
Old 3rd April 2019, 03:36 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 17333 from dublin
595 posts since Jul 2009
Motorbike: 97 cbr 400rr nc29
Modifications: none

I have a dainese super rider d-dry jacket its a mix of textile and leather and from what I can see its the best of bother worlds. Leather where its needed and textile in the other areas. Room for a back protector and chest pads and comes with elbow and shoulder protection already. Attaches to the dainese delta 3 race leathers using a zip so that would be my recommendation. Sizing between manufacturers and even same brand vary so go try stuff on and be sure of fit.

I learned this hardway buying online before trying and didnt fit and lost money. Once you know sizes and brands shop around as theres massive savings online sometime close to half of whats advertised in the shops.

Older models usually sell off cheap. Check out knox brand aswell.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
leathers