Old 9th April 2019, 09:37 AM #31
cbroar cbroar is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,023
Motorbike: CBR1000F
cbroar cbroar is offline
Supporter

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,023
Rides: CBR1000F
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by discoblade
No worries...I'll find someone eventually!
ive always found the astars 2 sizes smaller than others, xxl = large.
cbroar is offline   ReplyReply
Old 10th April 2019, 08:52 PM #32
DavyH DavyH is offline
Veteran Racer
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,149
Motorbike: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fs650
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
DavyH DavyH is offline
Veteran Racer

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,149
Rides: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fs650
Mods: A few bits and pieces!
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by GreenRex
Auto 1300FJR, yes its an earlier version so not as sophisticated as the later yolks. Got it super cheap, probably because of the auto, though they are meant to be worth more according to the book values. Once your above 5 mph its fine, however slow speed is not the best. Prefer a clutch, but for what I use it for, works fine. Its a mighty bike, most impressive mile muncher.
Spent a week on one of them,it was giving actuator issues but it had decent mileage on it and I donít think the clutch hydraulics had been serviced regularly enough. Pretty neat engineering but I think the fact it was an afterthought adapted to work with an existing engine, it was pretty trick. But thereís an awful lot of individual components. Very advanced stuff for its time though.

Yeah taking away from lights isnít exactly smooth but after that gear shifts are silky smooth. If you like that,youíd love the Dct,still a bit of a lurch taking off from idle on them too,and itís throttle by wire so sometimes overly sensitive on rough terrain
DavyH is offline   ReplyReply
Old 11th April 2019, 03:10 PM #33
Duke RR Duke RR is offline
Urban Chameleon
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bohemian Grove
Posts: 18,261
Motorbike: few red italian/jap heaps
Modifications: Termi's of course
My Motorcycle Pics
Duke RR Duke RR is offline
Urban Chameleon

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bohemian Grove
Posts: 18,261
Rides: few red italian/jap heaps
Mods: Termi's of course
My Motorcycle Pics
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

same thing....automatic

been using scooters for the last 3 yrs or so for the city and a little motorway, 400's abroad, 250's & 125's here. Plenty of zip, buckets of storage, good mpg. On v long stints on m/ways you'd need the 500/530 xmax or the likes of the new 300 forza scooter. 125 / 250cc's are perfect for crossing the city or zipping in and out to town at the weekends. no brainer if you can stump to it - xmax 125 or forza 125 and having a bike too. im not vain enough to care what anyone thinks , id endorse scooters no end.

of all the bikes ridden , never tried a dct. Id say it would convert me, possibly. But id still need a bike with gears.


what ppl dont realise - sportsibkes will have seamless gearboxes , its coming, so between that and the must have trinkets like quick shifters , we're nearly there already are we not......

Duke RR is offline   ReplyReply
Old 11th April 2019, 03:44 PM #34
Holy Moly Holy Moly is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,325
Motorbike: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!
Holy Moly Holy Moly is offline
Supporter

 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,325
Rides: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Mods: Really stiff Springs !!
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Not convinced of dct on off road capable bikes. I wouldn't trust one over a manual clutch off road.
On road, fill yer boots. Only thing is that they WILL be worth less than clutch bikes on the used market once they're up in the yrs.
Holy Moly is offline   ReplyReply
Old 11th April 2019, 07:32 PM #35
Fledermaus's Avatar
Fledermaus Fledermaus is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cork
Posts: 6,719
Fledermaus Fledermaus is offline
Supporter

Fledermaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cork
Posts: 6,719
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by Holy Moly
Not convinced of dct on off road capable bikes. I wouldn't trust one over a manual clutch off road.
On road, fill yer boots. Only thing is that they WILL be worth less than clutch bikes on the used market once they're up in the yrs.
The DCT is at its best off road, imo.
I just sold my DCT Africa twin, and that bike was a real boon to a novice off roader like me.
I only sold it because of suspect build quality..... I could see it deteriorating despite religious minding.
Fledermaus is offline   ReplyReply
Old 13th April 2019, 05:21 PM #36
bonzoid's Avatar
bonzoid bonzoid is offline
Veteran Racer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CORK
Posts: 3,840
Motorbike: YAMAHA FZR600R, YZF750R
Modifications: Time & grime...
bonzoid bonzoid is offline
Veteran Racer

bonzoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CORK
Posts: 3,840
Rides: YAMAHA FZR600R, YZF750R
Mods: Time & grime...
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Anyone brave enough to have taken the plunge on an Aprilia Mana?.....
bonzoid is offline   ReplyReply
Old 13th April 2019, 09:36 PM #37
fatbast's Avatar
fatbast fatbast is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: dublin
Posts: 2,330
Motorbike: KTM 1290 S adventure
Modifications: some
My Motorcycle Pics
fatbast fatbast is offline
Supporter

fatbast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: dublin
Posts: 2,330
Rides: KTM 1290 S adventure
Mods: some
My Motorcycle Pics
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by bonzoid
Anyone brave enough to have taken the plunge on an Aprilia Mana?.....
I have one and quite like it. They are very popular in France and Italy in particular. Quite like the Honda 750 dct but quicker and more stylish! No issues with it so far, its brilliant around town better than a maxi scooter in traffic. And handles like a regular bike
fatbast is offline   ReplyReply
Old 14th April 2019, 09:44 AM #38
silver fox's Avatar
silver fox silver fox is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Up around the bend
Posts: 1,159
Motorbike: Honda 250 Rally, Hornet 6
Modifications: flux capacitor
silver fox silver fox is offline
Supporter

silver fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Up around the bend
Posts: 1,159
Rides: Honda 250 Rally, Hornet 6
Mods: flux capacitor
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by Fledermaus
I only sold it because of suspect build quality..... I could see it deteriorating despite religious minding.
What kind of religious minding? Incense, mantras, prayers or human sacrifice?

I have a mate who is OCD with cleaning his bikes and kept his AT in a garage with humidifier. Washed and scrupulously cleaned after each use. He is now "negotiating" with the Honda importers for new spokes and rims.
I had a Transalp with similar deterioration and got no joy from them boys.
Didn't stop me buying another Honda though. No I'm not bitter. Not me never
silver fox is offline   ReplyReply
Old 14th April 2019, 11:21 AM #39
Fledermaus's Avatar
Fledermaus Fledermaus is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cork
Posts: 6,719
Fledermaus Fledermaus is offline
Supporter

Fledermaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cork
Posts: 6,719
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by silver fox
What kind of religious minding? Incense, mantras, prayers or human sacrifice?

I have a mate who is OCD with cleaning his bikes and kept his AT in a garage with humidifier. Washed and scrupulously cleaned after each use. He is now "negotiating" with the Honda importers for new spokes and rims.
I had a Transalp with similar deterioration and got no joy from them boys.
Didn't stop me buying another Honda though. No I'm not bitter. Not me never

Similar to your mate. Dehumidifier on 24/7. OCD on cleaning.
Not impressed with the build quality,especially when you look in all the nooks and crannies, so it's been sold to make way for something else.
I also found it somewhat lacking in character,whilst being a very competent bike.
Just not for me.
Fledermaus is offline   ReplyReply
Old 15th April 2019, 03:09 AM #40
2shea's Avatar
2shea 2shea is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,475
Motorbike: Kawasaki Versys 1000
2shea 2shea is offline
Supporter

2shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,475
Rides: Kawasaki Versys 1000
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Had a spin on both the AT and Crosstourer 1200 with DCT.

First time I was on the crosstourer going around a round about it decided to change up a gear, which I found a bit unsettling.

Found out after that if you put it in sport it will hold on to the gears longer and stops that kind of thing from happening.

In normal mode it wants to get the bike into top gear as soon as it can.

So when I took the Africa Twin for a spin knowing this it was much better.

I like it.

Seems to be a bit of an attitude towards it? Don't see why there should be, it changes gear much quicker and smoother then any manual.
2shea is offline   ReplyReply
Old 15th April 2019, 04:08 AM #41
Gixxer's Avatar
Gixxer Gixxer is offline
Resident gynaecologist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 14,194
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy
Gixxer Gixxer is offline
Resident gynaecologist

Gixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 14,194
Rides: NSU Quickly
Mods: Lobotomy
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by 2shea
Seems to be a bit of an attitude towards it? Don't see why there should be, it changes gear much quicker and smoother then any manual.
But IT decides when to change gear. Not something I'd want on a bike.
Gixxer is offline   ReplyReply
Old 15th April 2019, 07:53 AM #42
Holy Moly Holy Moly is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,325
Motorbike: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!
Holy Moly Holy Moly is offline
Supporter

 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,325
Rides: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Mods: Really stiff Springs !!
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by 2shea
Had a spin on both the AT and Crosstourer 1200 with DCT.

First time I was on the crosstourer going around a round about it decided to change up a gear, which I found a bit unsettling.

Found out after that if you put it in sport it will hold on to the gears longer and stops that kind of thing from happening.

In normal mode it wants to get the bike into top gear as soon as it can.

So when I took the Africa Twin for a spin knowing this it was much better.

I like it.

Seems to be a bit of an attitude towards it? Don't see why there should be, it changes gear much quicker and smoother then any manual.
Eh, fuck that !
The highlighted paragraph answers your question at the bottom. Also it's not about physically changing gears, it's about being in the correct gear at the correct time = control. It cannot read the road ahead, you do and especially for off-road.
DCT AT's are mostly city bikes, as told to me by an auld fella I know with one.
Holy Moly is offline   ReplyReply
Old 15th April 2019, 09:18 AM #43
Kavo's Avatar
Kavo Kavo is offline
One Armed Git
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Swords
Posts: 1,840
Motorbike: CTX 700N
Modifications: A few
Kavo Kavo is offline
One Armed Git

Kavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Swords
Posts: 1,840
Rides: CTX 700N
Mods: A few
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by Holy Moly
Eh, fuck that !
The highlighted paragraph answers your question at the bottom. Also it's not about physically changing gears, it's about being in the correct gear at the correct time = control. It cannot read the road ahead, you do and especially for off-road.
DCT AT's are mostly city bikes, as told to me by an auld fella I know with one.
I've been all over Ireland on mine not just city riding never had a problem with either. Same on roundabouts
Kavo is offline   ReplyReply
Old 15th April 2019, 10:49 AM #44
Holy Moly Holy Moly is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,325
Motorbike: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!
Holy Moly Holy Moly is offline
Supporter

 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,325
Rides: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Mods: Really stiff Springs !!
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by Kavo
I've been all over Ireland on mine not just city riding never had a problem with either. Same on roundabouts
That's good that it has met your needs, but it doesn't address my point regarding it not knowing what's in front of it. Even so, it doesn't matter to me if it's good or not, for a few reasons I wouldn't be buying one unless physical needs dictated it. It's going to be brilliant for some and not so for others.
Holy Moly is offline   ReplyReply
Old 15th April 2019, 04:17 PM #45
DavyH DavyH is offline
Veteran Racer
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,149
Motorbike: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fs650
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
DavyH DavyH is offline
Veteran Racer

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,149
Rides: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fs650
Mods: A few bits and pieces!
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by Holy Moly
That's good that it has met your needs, but it doesn't address my point regarding it not knowing what's in front of it. Even so, it doesn't matter to me if it's good or not, for a few reasons I wouldn't be buying one unless physical needs dictated it. It's going to be brilliant for some and not so for others.
But you have the option of running in a manual mode that removes that as an issue,also in auto you can still select up or down if you need to.
DavyH is offline   ReplyReply
Old 15th April 2019, 08:34 PM #46
vroombandit vroombandit is offline
ISB Contender
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mayo
Posts: 457
Motorbike: VFR1200f DCT & GSX1400
vroombandit vroombandit is offline
ISB Contender

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mayo
Posts: 457
Rides: VFR1200f DCT & GSX1400
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by DavyH
But you have the option of running in a manual mode that removes that as an issue,also in auto you can still select up or down if you need to.
Exactly. The rider still has to control the bike & read the road. I use manual mode, just like a quickshifter. It takes time to get used to it but it works.
vroombandit is offline   ReplyReply
Old 15th April 2019, 08:44 PM #47
SoulX's Avatar
SoulX SoulX is offline
Biker.ie old-skool
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Near Wild Heaven
Posts: 8,682
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre
SoulX SoulX is offline
Biker.ie old-skool

SoulX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Near Wild Heaven
Posts: 8,682
Rides: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Mods: White Wall tyre
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by DavyH
But you have the option of running in a manual mode that removes that as an issue,also in auto you can still select up or down if you need to.
Stupid question,if you're using "manual" mode and rev the shite out of it in 1st,
will it change up itself and if you let it labor in a high gear will it change down?
SoulX is offline   ReplyReply
Old 15th April 2019, 08:56 PM #48
DavyH DavyH is offline
Veteran Racer
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,149
Motorbike: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fs650
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
DavyH DavyH is offline
Veteran Racer

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,149
Rides: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fs650
Mods: A few bits and pieces!
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by vroombandit
Exactly. The rider still has to control the bike & read the road. I use manual mode, just like a quickshifter. It takes time to get used to it but it works.
Plus it has kickdown if you crack the throttle wide open....and I believe you can buy a shift lever for foot operation if youíre really missing it...so aside from not having a clutch lever to play with itís the same thing in most ways.
DavyH is offline   ReplyReply
Old 15th April 2019, 08:59 PM #49
DavyH DavyH is offline
Veteran Racer
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,149
Motorbike: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fs650
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
DavyH DavyH is offline
Veteran Racer

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,149
Rides: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fs650
Mods: A few bits and pieces!
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by SoulX
Stupid question,if you're using "manual" mode and rev the shite out of it in 1st,
will it change up itself and if you let it labor in a high gear will it change down?
The bike I was on had 1200kms so I wasn’t prepared to bounce it off the limiter but it got to the peak of torque and hp and I was just shifting up without looking,it hadn’t intervened at that point

On the downshifts side, I didn’t actually notice. I was mostly leaving it in auto and using the paddles as I saw fit,if you shift up or down it seems to stay in a different setting in expectation you’re going to continue using the paddles,then it goes back to normal operation. It’s all very seamless,I would suggest trying it out if you get the opportunity,it’s a pretty decent well thought out system but does require time to settle into the way it all works

Last edited by DavyH; 15th April 2019 at 09:04 PM.
DavyH is offline   ReplyReply
Old 16th April 2019, 09:42 PM #50
Holy Moly Holy Moly is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,325
Motorbike: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!
Holy Moly Holy Moly is offline
Supporter

 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,325
Rides: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Mods: Really stiff Springs !!
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by DavyH
But you have the option of running in a manual mode that removes that as an issue,also in auto you can still select up or down if you need to.
My original point I made regarding dct is Off-road, on road I'd be a bit hesitant, but off road I can't see it being very beneficial. I use the clutch a lot to modulate and be ready to react. personally I'd need to ride one proper. I'm pretty sure most people who bought one are happy with them, equally people who didn't buy one are also happy !
Holy Moly is offline   ReplyReply
Old 16th April 2019, 10:14 PM #51
DavyH DavyH is offline
Veteran Racer
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,149
Motorbike: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fs650
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
DavyH DavyH is offline
Veteran Racer

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,149
Rides: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fs650
Mods: A few bits and pieces!
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by Holy Moly
My original point I made regarding dct is Off-road, on road I'd be a bit hesitant, but off road I can't see it being very beneficial. I use the clutch a lot to modulate and be ready to react. personally I'd need to ride one proper. I'm pretty sure most people who bought one are happy with them, equally people who didn't buy one are also happy !
I get what youíre saying,but hereís the thing...the shift is seamless,so even if you find it a bit diturbing thinking it will change gear mid round about or corner,it doesnít matter because the bike doesnít become unsettled. The gear change is smoother then the average rider,and itís consistent. So that time you may catch a false neutral mid corner on a conventional gearbox because you didnít positively select will not happen on the dct,thereís much less chance of losing traction in wet conditions up or down shifting mid corner. Off road I think is where it would shine the most,it canít stall, and if youíre spinning up the rear trying to get a move on you can just paddle it up a gear and let the traction control do itís business if youíre that fussy.

Iíd have been very much against the idea of traction control,and abs too at one point,because I felt it took away from driving experience of a bike,but the systems available these days are less intrusive,and the only give away in some instances is a flashing light on the dash. If you get an opportunity you should try one out,for a reasonable spin...then make your mind up
DavyH is offline   ReplyReply
Old 23rd April 2019, 10:01 AM #52
Kavo's Avatar
Kavo Kavo is offline
One Armed Git
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Swords
Posts: 1,840
Motorbike: CTX 700N
Modifications: A few
Kavo Kavo is offline
One Armed Git

Kavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Swords
Posts: 1,840
Rides: CTX 700N
Mods: A few
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by Dominus Obsequious Sororium
No worries...I'll find someone eventually!
Just seen that CBROAR says that Alpine Star gloves XXL might fit smaller size hands so maybe I will have a look because I'm looking for some summer gloves I can't seem to PM you my number so it's 0eight6eight1four6eight5nine cheers
Kavo is offline   ReplyReply
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:39 AM #53
thecrutch thecrutch is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,374
Motorbike: Z1000sx
Modifications: a few
thecrutch thecrutch is offline
Supporter

 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,374
Rides: Z1000sx
Mods: a few
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by SoulX
Stupid question,if you're using "manual" mode and rev the shite out of it in 1st,
will it change up itself and if you let it labor in a high gear will it change down?
no,
you are in manual mode, all gear changes have to be done with + or - buttons,
so it will rev out to the limiter up you dont change up manually
or it will lug around a roundabout in 5th/6th if you dont change down manually,
same as any other bike

in auto, it will change automatically,
you also have a manual override with the + & - buttons on the left side if you think the bike is in too high or too low gear
once on the move all up shifts are seamless, on downshifts the throttle was blipped automatically

i found manual mode better in towns on the bigger bikes, vfr 1200 / africa twin (must get a spin on one again)

with the NC auto mode worked better in town coz of the low rev limit, brilliant in traffic, very nimble
thecrutch is offline   ReplyReply
Old 23rd April 2019, 03:10 PM #54
Holy Moly Holy Moly is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,325
Motorbike: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!
Holy Moly Holy Moly is offline
Supporter

 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,325
Rides: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Mods: Really stiff Springs !!
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by DavyH
I get what youíre saying,but hereís the thing...the shift is seamless,so even if you find it a bit diturbing thinking it will change gear mid round about or corner,it doesnít matter because the bike doesnít become unsettled. The gear change is smoother then the average rider,and itís consistent. So that time you may catch a false neutral mid corner on a conventional gearbox because you didnít positively select will not happen on the dct,thereís much less chance of losing traction in wet conditions up or down shifting mid corner. Off road I think is where it would shine the most,it canít stall, and if youíre spinning up the rear trying to get a move on you can just paddle it up a gear and let the traction control do itís business if youíre that fussy.

Iíd have been very much against the idea of traction control,and abs too at one point,because I felt it took away from driving experience of a bike,but the systems available these days are less intrusive,and the only give away in some instances is a flashing light on the dash. If you get an opportunity you should try one out,for a reasonable spin...then make your mind up


I am officially intrigued, I will try one. Just to note, I thought the old AT was shite off-road in Ireland. They are just too heavy, need a single cylinder, like an XT.
Holy Moly is offline   ReplyReply
Old 23rd April 2019, 03:19 PM #55
renniks renniks is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Athlone (ex-Dub)
Posts: 4,342
Motorbike: CRF250RLA
renniks renniks is offline
Supporter

 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Athlone (ex-Dub)
Posts: 4,342
Rides: CRF250RLA
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by Holy Moly


I am officially intrigued, I will try one. Just to note, I thought the old AT was shite off-road in Ireland. They are just too heavy, need a single cylinder, like an XT.
Yep, I think all the big manufacturers are missing a trick just churning out lardy overweight 'adventure' bikes, and should try to get a bike out in and around the 150~175kg mark (think the original KTM LC4 640 Adv)
renniks is offline   ReplyReply
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:55 PM #56
DavyH DavyH is offline
Veteran Racer
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,149
Motorbike: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fs650
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
DavyH DavyH is offline
Veteran Racer

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,149
Rides: Rrn,Sp1,Bros 663,Fs650
Mods: A few bits and pieces!
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by Holy Moly


I am officially intrigued, I will try one. Just to note, I thought the old AT was shite off-road in Ireland. They are just too heavy, need a single cylinder, like an XT.
Yeah I had an rd07a...the heaviest of the bunch. I did do some off-roading ,some pretty intense stuff through forestry,rocky roads,firetracks and bogs...it was far more capable than expected,especially on road biased tourances....but going down any incline was arm pump hell.Tough bike to do all that on,and sometimes out of sheer exhaustion I got it bogged down,at one point I was all about to leave the bastard to rot where it stood,it had sunk up to the back of the seat in smelly shitty bogwater. Ground clearance wasnít great either. So yeah,they can do it,but fuck that thereís much handier alternatives😂
DavyH is offline   ReplyReply
Old 23rd April 2019, 07:55 PM #57
SoulX's Avatar
SoulX SoulX is offline
Biker.ie old-skool
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Near Wild Heaven
Posts: 8,682
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre
SoulX SoulX is offline
Biker.ie old-skool

SoulX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Near Wild Heaven
Posts: 8,682
Rides: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Mods: White Wall tyre
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by renniks
Yep, I think all the big manufacturers are missing a trick just churning out lardy overweight 'adventure' bikes, and should try to get a bike out in and around the 150~175kg mark (think the original KTM LC4 640 Adv)
The furthest off-road most of those yokes go is parking on the footpath outside starbucks.
All the high bars and alloy boxes is only for show.
SoulX is offline   ReplyReply
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:37 PM #58
me2 me2 is online now
MotoGP Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Blanch
Posts: 1,043
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare
me2 me2 is online now
MotoGP Legend

 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Blanch
Posts: 1,043
Rides: dublin bus
Mods: standard adult fare
Originally Posted by SoulX
The furthest off-road most of those yokes go is parking on the footpath outside starbucks.
All the high bars and alloy boxes is only for show.
Blasphemy
me2 is online now   ReplyReply
Old 5th July 2019, 09:33 AM #59
Kavo's Avatar
Kavo Kavo is offline
One Armed Git
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Swords
Posts: 1,840
Motorbike: CTX 700N
Modifications: A few
Kavo Kavo is offline
One Armed Git

Kavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Swords
Posts: 1,840
Rides: CTX 700N
Mods: A few
Re: Automatic bikes,or are they just big mopeds

Originally Posted by Dominus Obsequious Sororium
I see, good stuff...I'll get to the point now, what size glove do you wear? I have a collection of top-quality (AStars mostly) brand-new left hand gloves, in XXL looking for a new home...
I can't PM you so can you bell me on 0eigth6 81four68five9 cheers
Kavo is offline   ReplyReply
Reply

  Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
automatic, big, bikes, mopeds

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted : Any mopeds for sale? tzrdan Buying and Selling 5 21st October 2018 10:04 PM
Which Automatic Chain Oiler? corrcullen The Workshop 2 14th January 2007 10:16 PM
Mopeds are for big boys Dinefred Jokes, Pics & Flics 14 4th January 2007 07:04 PM
new on the mopeds! hotboxaerox Scooter Section 17 22nd November 2006 12:15 PM
Honda Exhibits New Automatic 700 Sports Motorcycle Wanted General Bike Chat 0 24th October 2005 01:02 PM


 

Irish Biker's Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection above. .