Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 29th March 2019, 12:14 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 31248
13 posts since Apr 2013
Default Insurance Scam or Not?

Hi,

Last year my renewal policy from Carole Nash said my bike was garaged. I had previously clearly told them it was locked on the front driveway. They apologised and said it was an error.

For this year's renewal, I updated them to say it is now garaged. This time they have noted the bike as having and Spyball 6507 alarm. I never heard of such alarm and the bike definitely does not have one.

Has anybody else experienced them slipping things into the policy? Things that might void the policy if the bike was stolen!!
Old 29th March 2019, 12:41 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32015
613 posts since Aug 2013
Motorbike: Honda cbr 600f
Default Re: Insurance Scam or Not?

Hasn't happened me but there was reports on the wireless this morning about the insurance ombudsman warning of insurance companies voiding policies unjustly.
Good catch.
Might be worth persuing with the company to find out how it got into your policy.

Thieves the lot of them.
Old 29th March 2019, 12:45 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2026 from your mama's womb.. !
7,599 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: Zimmerframe.
Modifications: Ur kiddin' right.!

Originally Posted by TrueBlue_ View Post
Hi,

Last year my renewal policy from Carole Nash said my bike was garaged. I had previously clearly told them it was locked on the front driveway. They apologised and said it was an error.

For this year's renewal, I updated them to say it is now garaged. This time they have noted the bike as having and Spyball 6507 alarm. I never heard of such alarm and the bike definitely does not have one.

Has anybody else experienced them slipping things into the policy? Things that might void the policy if the bike was stolen!!
fucking scam alright and you'll find that in the small print the onus is on you to check the details of the policy and advise the insurance company.
Old 29th March 2019, 01:51 PM
Resident Rainmaker

Biker.ie Member No. 10326 from Cork
2,356 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: XRV750,CBX1000,DKW,BSAA10
Modifications: None

Good man, prompted me to double check my policy on the bikes, to make sure they haven't slipped in an electronic speed restrictor on my '61 BSA or Thatcham approved immobiliser on the '51 Vincent,
Old 29th March 2019, 03:24 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29352
1,269 posts since Jul 2012
Motorbike: Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilla
Modifications: Really stiff Springs !!

Happened on a house policy I had a while back, I wasn't happy about it at all, easiest thing for them to wiggle out of if worst happens.
Old 29th March 2019, 04:53 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35446 from Ireland Mk2
502 posts since Oct 2015
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Dirty FZ6
Modifications: Protective eco-coating

Fun fact, you might be able to drag them over the GDPR if you have reason to believe the integrity of your information is not maintained.
Old 29th March 2019, 05:05 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 25594 from Kildare
633 posts since Mar 2011

Well spoted...
Take them to the cleaners , shower of cnuts...🤬
Old 29th March 2019, 07:39 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 30475 from 8564231098774
165 posts since Nov 2012
Motorbike: 640 supermoto.
Modifications: tech 7 and duct tape(ktm)

Hi,

Funny, my policy was up for renewal last week... They left the penalty points off it this time, had to ring them to get them put back on. Wanted an extra €86 euro.... ended up paying an extra €8!!! Read the small print lads !!
Old 31st March 2019, 10:26 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 22413 from Swords
101 posts since Jun 2010
Motorbike: Crosstourer DCT

Hi,

I had exactly the same with CN, they added an alarm I never heard of and they had it down as stored on private property when I had said it was parked on public road. I rang them after I got the documents and they said that the premium would have to increase. I argued that I would have stayed with my previous insurer if I had to pay the increased premium. They went back and listened to the tape of the call and said they would absorb the cost, but I had to do all the chasing as I got no calls back and had to chase new documents.
Old 1st April 2019, 08:19 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,640 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

Well... since they're recording the calls as contract binding I don't think they can get too far with that shite in a court.

So to me it sounds more like agent fat fingering options on the form or just trying to add more options to bring the premium down and make the sell, not necessarily to scam you after the fact.
Old 1st April 2019, 09:26 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
664 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

Originally Posted by RTV View Post
Well... since they're recording the calls as contract binding I don't think they can get too far with that shite in a court.

So to me it sounds more like agent fat fingering options on the form or just trying to add more options to bring the premium down and make the sell, not necessarily to scam you after the fact.
All bets are off if ya try claim from a compromised policy. Those recordings will rather unfortunately no longer exist if they might serve to hurt the company.
Old 1st April 2019, 10:09 AM
I like Bikes I do

Biker.ie Member No. 21686 from Sydney
2,920 posts since Apr 2010
Motorbike: Yamasaki V4 Ninjablade
Modifications: Air con and a sunroof....

Originally Posted by me2 View Post
All bets are off if ya try claim from a compromised policy. Those recordings will rather unfortunately no longer exist if they might serve to hurt the company.
This
If you listen to the waffle at the start of call it states that calls may be recorded so I wouldn’t trust the fuckers, best bet would be to record the call oneself but they probably wouldn’t agree to it
Old 1st April 2019, 12:55 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,640 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

When you agree to a policy verbally (instead of signing) I would like to think that they record and keep it as it's their only legally binding proof???

Dunno, wouldn't count on it and definitely check your policy but my point is that I don't think they do it with the purpose of scamming but it's most likely the agent adding shite to lower the premium on the computer and making the sell.
Old 3rd April 2019, 01:58 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 3193 from 0 to 60 in about 3.2 sec
2,705 posts since May 2006
Motorbike: Yer aul wan
Modifications: Sphincter tightener

Well this post was a wake up call, thanks OP for bringing attention to this. I'm off now to dig out my policy and actually read it!
Old 3rd April 2019, 02:26 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
13,288 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Originally Posted by vinnym View Post
This
If you listen to the waffle at the start of call it states that calls may be recorded so I wouldn’t trust the fuckers, best bet would be to record the call oneself but they probably wouldn’t agree to it
They already agreed to it. You know the bit you cited that said "calls may be recorded "? They don't specify by whom.
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:01 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
664 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
They already agreed to it. You know the bit you cited that said "calls may be recorded "? They don't specify by whom.
True, but my Nokia music express phone emits beeps every twenty seconds to alert the other party that I am recording the phone call. I have had service providers such as vadafucks and the tragic number (3) crews terminate calls abruptly upon catching on to said recording. In short corporate cunts like to record dealings but positively prohibit 'mere mortals' from doing likewise.
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:24 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 13834 from offaly, midlands
763 posts since Jan 2009
Motorbike: Blade, 675 ,kxf 250

Every policy I get ( multi bike ) ( cage ) ( van ) has a miss print somewhere on it every year. There is always a discrepancy so peeps read the fine print. This year even the reg on one of the bikes was wrong so watch out. Maybe I’m too paranoid
Old 4th April 2019, 10:49 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26650 from Meath
438 posts since Jun 2011
Motorbike: Honda cbr 400

i think thats how then revise quotes, clown on end of phone just adjusts things to bring premium down enough for you to sign up, then its probably supposed to be fixed later but never gets done,
Old 19th April 2019, 01:42 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37934 from Dublin
259 posts since Jan 2018
Motorbike: CBF600SA

I told them the bike is parked in my private rear garden, locked with a security chain.

They put this into my policy:

"Overnight Parking: Parked on Drive"

I reckon it puts less responsibility on me this way, so I didn't get it corrected as I got the price we agreed anyways.
Old 19th April 2019, 03:15 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37490 from Dublin
148 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: ZX6R Ninja 636 - 2005

They had my 2002 sv down with a manufacture year of 2009 before. Strange oul bunch of thick cunts.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
insurance, scam