Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat > Classic Motorbikes

Old 11th April 2019, 03:30 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 23271 from tipperary
846 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: zx6r.cr 500sm. ktm950 sm.
Modifications: black duct tape
Default Re: white metaling old conrods

Engineering ,from a time when men were men .
Guy martin would love it !
As mentioned already . Pass on this skill , when youve made your millions of coarse.
Old 11th April 2019, 08:14 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 33252
259 posts since May 2014
Motorbike: sp2, pre-inj cbr6

Great thread, very interesting
What is the alloy used in the white metal out of interest?
Old 15th April 2019, 12:24 AM
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from Fuck knows
53,988 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro

Originally Posted by Aidanm View Post
Great thread, very interesting
What is the alloy used in the white metal out of interest?
hoit 1r
Old 15th April 2019, 05:25 AM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
13,288 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

My first job as an apprentice when I left school was with a civil engineering company. I started in the small plant department (water pumps, generators, etc.), and the old guy I was working with had a load of old stationary engines with hinged crankcases. They were hinged because the bearings would need to be re-metaled on a regular basis, and the first 'job' I had after starting was to get the engineer's blue and a scraper, and re-metal the crankcase bearings on these old engines. It didn't matter that the engines were old relics and no longer in use. The old boy I was working with wanted to teach me engineering, and as much as I hated doing it, as it was completely obsolete, it made me realise how different things were back then, and how times have changed. This old guy used to spend his days listening to engines, waiting for the signs that the engine needed a rebuild, which wasn't years, it was usually just weeks, or, if you were lucky, a couple of months since its last rebuild. How times have changed!
I served my time with this old guy, and he was proper old-school. It's a shame to see that generation go.
Old 15th April 2019, 06:21 AM
Resident gynaecologist

Akshally... Seeing as I'm a bit pissed (for a change)... I'll reminisce a little further.
This old guy was called Ernie. He had a nose that looked like a pear, so he was known as pear nose. He was past retirement age when I started working there. I think he was about 72 years old, or thereabouts, and still used to cycle 15 miles to work each morning, and 15 miles home. Fuck me, imagine asking that of a young lad these days! You'd be up in court for child abuse!
Anyhoo, I digress... I was sat eating dinner (lunch, for modern posh cunts) with him one Saturday afternoon, and we got onto the subject of 'the war'. He fought in WWII, and didn't really like to talk about it, but I asked him what it was like, how bad was it, was it as bad as people say? He said... Nah, it wasn't as bad as people say. People have no idea how bad it was. It was far worse than people say. I asked him what did he mean, and could he give me an insight into what actually happened. I was a young kid at the time. Maybe 17 years old, and unshockable... or so I thought...
He said, OK, we'd raid a town, kill all the men and rape all the women. Then probably get pissed and kill most of the women...
It was blatantly obvious that he was remorseful for what he'd done, as he was in tears as he told me, but he started out so matter-of-fact, that it was quite obviously the norm, and it wasn't until he was regurgitating what happened that he realised what he was saying, and I saw the look change on his face, from one of those reminiscing smiles to a wry smile, then to a look of complete sadness, as he relived his times.
I never encroached on the subject again, as it obviously wasn't something he was comfortable with, but, nonetheless, I think he wanted to tell someone, just like my grandfather, in his last days, felt the need to tell me about the black and tans he'd buried in the bogs ,and about the priest (a second cousin twice removed to the power of three of mine) who brought him to a bog in Donamon, to kill a lad who wouldn't marry the girl he got pregnant. My grandfather wept as he relived the time he had to cut off a young lad's head with a slash hook, because the priest told him he had to do it.

Last edited by Gixxer; 15th April 2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 15th April 2019, 07:54 AM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 23271 from tipperary
846 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: zx6r.cr 500sm. ktm950 sm.
Modifications: black duct tape

Theres storys like that in every parish unfortunatly,They were crazy times. I think people today take for granted the times we live in now.
Old 15th April 2019, 02:14 PM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
19,386 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!

Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
Akshally... Seeing as I'm a bit pissed (for a change)... I'll reminisce a little further.
How's the head?
Old 15th April 2019, 03:03 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Originally Posted by PJ
How's the head?
Like Mizen Head... Rough as fuck and not somewhere I want to be
Old 15th April 2019, 03:28 PM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
19,386 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!

Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
Like Mizen Head... Rough as fuck and not somewhere I want to be
Join the club.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat > Classic Motorbikes

Tags
conrods, metaling, white

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed