Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Battery Recommendation (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=242487)

GavinR7 12th March 2018 10:40 AM

Battery Recommendation

Hi Guys,

My battery in my Suzuki GSXR 600 K7 is dead and I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good quality battery at a reasonable price thanks.

The battery that was in it was a Yuasa YTX9-BS Powersport battery.

Gavin.

Robbiesv 12th March 2018 10:47 AM

Re: Battery Recommendation

Ytx9-bs

proto 12th March 2018 11:14 AM

ytx12a-bs is the same size with a higher capacity. Costs more probably, but a good option if you happen to see it the same price or cheaper

Confusion 12th March 2018 11:31 AM

[quote=GavinR7;3525779]

The battery that was in it was a Yuasa YTX9-BS Powersport battery.

[/quote]

Most bike manufacturers fit Yuasa batteries to their new bikes.
If you were happy with the performance of the old one, you
may as well buy another Yuasa.

motorcycleshop.ie should have one in stock.

Halfords in Sligo also stock them, if you are willing
to pay a bit more.

eirehead 12th March 2018 01:48 PM

Picked the very same battery, a Yuasa YTX9-BS, from MorrisonBHP last week for a very reasonable price.

[URL="http://www.morrisonbhp.net/apps/webstore/products/show/6995418"]http://www.morrisonbhp.net/apps/webstore/products/show/6995418[/URL]

I checked around and the only ones I found cheaper were names I'd never heard of. Yuasa you can trust and I'd recommend MorrisonBHP all day long.

Japcati 12th March 2018 01:53 PM

Dare I say a Shido or JMT Lithium battery.

More CCA and 1/3 the weight of oem .

jp biker 12th March 2018 03:39 PM

[quote=Japcati;3525824]Dare I say a Shido or JMT Lithium battery.

More CCA and 1/3 the weight of oem .[/quote]

YOU should become a seller of them with the amount your bringing in:lbhbh:

Gixxer 12th March 2018 03:40 PM

It's strange that people say Lithium batteries have more CCA (cold cranking amps), when they have about fuck all cranking amps when cold, and have to be warmed up in order for them to work.

What's the score with balancing the cells on those batteries? Do you need a special charger with a balance port or will a normal charger work?

CodeJACK 12th March 2018 05:04 PM

[quote=Gixxer;3525859]It's strange that people say Lithium batteries have more CCA (cold cranking amps), when they have about fuck all cranking amps when cold, and have to be warmed up in order for them to work.

What's the score with balancing the cells on those batteries? Do you need a special charger with a balance port or will a normal charger work?[/quote]

I know what your saying is supposed to be true but the lithium i recently swapped to has started my bike in the -1, -2 and lower degrees that we saw over the past week or so.

Maybe tech has moved on from what you know?

Obviously i only have the battery a month or so but there is a big difference in starting the bike and I never see the low battery light on the Oxford hotgrips any more.

CodeJACK 12th March 2018 05:06 PM

Its more CCA depending on the battery you go with. Pound for pound, the Lithium is higher CCA for sure.

pmacn 12th March 2018 06:31 PM

Bought a yuasa battery for a Honda cb 1300 .used recommended type .it lasted 2 years and 3 months .replaced it with a cheaper battery that has so far lasted 3 year's .yuasa are operated and overpriced

patod02703 12th March 2018 08:00 PM

You could try these lads in the UK:

[url]https://www.tayna.co.uk/Suzuki-GSX-R600-V-W-97-07-600-cc-Motorcycle-Batteries-D15343.html[/url]

They have your Yuasa for GBP 27.98, and other brands ranging in price from
GBP 15.99 for a Powerline to a Westco at GBP 44.99, and a Shido Lithium for GBP 46.99.
Shipping is another 10 GBP and takes 3 or 4 days by DPD

I bought a YTX5L-BS Powerline off them for last week for 10.99, plus another 10 shipping.
Best I could find on this side of the water was 45/50...
Only time will tell if my cheap battery was a good buy or not...

GavinR7 13th March 2018 08:38 AM

Thanks lads, I went for the same one that came out of it for 56 euro in Halfords.

Spoonman 13th March 2018 09:06 AM

[quote=Gixxer;3525859]It's strange that people say Lithium batteries have more CCA (cold cranking amps), when they have about fuck all cranking amps when cold, and have to be warmed up in order for them to work.[/quote]

Just like every other type of battery in existence you mean? "more" is a relative term dude - there's f*ck all drops crank-amps with temperature like Pb.

[quote=Gixxer;3525859]
What's the score with balancing the cells on those batteries? Do you need a special charger with a balance port or will a normal charger work?[/quote]

Built in electronics - has to be in order for the pack to charge off the sort of shite that comes from an alternator, so no, you can charge them with whatever you like, all the wizardry happens inside.

[quote=CodeJACK;3525884]
I never see the low battery light on the Oxford hotgrips any more.[/quote]

If you were seeing that with the motor running at anything but idle in the first place, then you were overloading your alternator. Most likely that was on account of the dead battery sinking current and putting anything healthy in would have fixed it, nothing to do with being Lithium.

Japcati 13th March 2018 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[quote=jp biker;3525858]YOU should become a seller of them with the amount your bringing in:lbhbh:[/quote]

Ryanair are my best buddies at the moment,so they are...:lbhbh:

Japcati 13th March 2018 11:14 AM

[quote=Gixxer;3525859]It's strange that people say Lithium batteries have more CCA (cold cranking amps), when they have about fuck all cranking amps when cold, and have to be warmed up in order for them to work.

Bought a Battery tender multi charger from Franklin Motorcycles that charges both normal lead acid and lithium batteries. 40 yoyos.

Motomong 13th March 2018 12:27 PM

I put a new Yuasa in the R6 a few weeks ago. It sat the full week while it was snowing without me going near it, and started on the first turn when I went to go back to work after the snow cleared. Lithium battery was tempting, but this does the job nicely

nednedned 13th March 2018 03:11 PM

[quote=proto;3525787]ytx12a-bs is the same size with a higher capacity. Costs more probably, but a good option if you happen to see it the same price or cheaper[/quote]

YTX12A-BS Is a taller battery. I put one in the bandit 600. Just needed to cut
some of the sponge underneath. Made a big difference on cold morning starts.

CodeJACK 13th March 2018 03:36 PM

[quote=Spoonman;3526010]
If you were seeing that with the motor running at anything but idle in the first place, then you were overloading your alternator. Most likely that was on account of the dead battery sinking current and putting anything healthy in would have fixed it, nothing to do with being Lithium.[/quote]

Nah, light only ever came on when idling and even though I had it on an Optimate all night. Old battery was fooked alright. Fair point on any new battery resolving that issue :thumbsup2:

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS