Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Lubing throttle cables - advice needed (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=241122)

The Windy City Rumbler 14th November 2017 07:09 PM

Lubing throttle cables - advice needed

Hey lads how are things?

I have lubed my clutch cable many times using the cable lube tool and cable spray lube.

Is there much to lubing the throttle cable?

Is it a case of lubing the 2 cables on the throttle tube or do you need to loosen cables at the carbs too?

Bike is a carbed cbf600.

Thanks

Blanka 14th November 2017 07:28 PM

Re: Lubing throttle cables - advice needed

If you're using a spray lube you might be able to sneak nozzle of the can into the cable at the handlebar end without disconnecting the cable. If you can't get it in, unhook the cable from the grip and give her a spray

The Collector 14th November 2017 07:28 PM

Open the 2 screws on the housing at throttle and squirt some lube down the jocks of the cables while twisting it back and forth.

faz1 14th November 2017 09:32 PM

Bring it down to the George for a lubing :biggrin_old:

allsorts&oddjobs 14th November 2017 10:16 PM

This thread is crying out for a title change........

The Windy City Rumbler 14th November 2017 10:20 PM

[quote=faz1;3507221]Bring it down to the George for a lubing :biggrin_old:[/quote]

This might be easier than unzipping the throttle tube :lbhbh:

The Windy City Rumbler 14th November 2017 10:20 PM

[quote=The Collector;3507202]Open the 2 screws on the housing at throttle and squirt some lube down the jocks of the cables while twisting it back and forth.[/quote]

Thanks will give it a shot

The Collector 14th November 2017 10:43 PM

Word filter again. Not jocks, but jack-et.:thumbsup2:

Gixxer 14th November 2017 10:50 PM

Build the outer cable up with insulation tape until its diameter is larger than that of the nipple and the right size to fit whatever size hose you have knocking around over it. Put the hose over it, fill it with your favourite brand of dead dinosaur fat and either let it flow through of its own accord or blow it through if you're in a hurry.
I've been doing it like that since I was a mere sprog, and it works so well I should patent the fucker.

akkakkman 15th November 2017 01:15 PM

Is the tool you have the one that clamps onto the end of the cable?
It should work for the throttle cables too and I doubt you'll need to go near the carb end.

faz1 17th November 2017 03:28 AM

[quote=Gixxer;3507243]Build the outer cable up with insulation tape until its diameter is larger than that of the nipple and the right size to fit whatever size hose you have knocking around over it. Put the hose over it, fill it with your favourite brand of dead dinosaur fat and either let it flow through of its own accord or blow it through if you're in a hurry.
I've been doing it like that since I was a mere sprog, and it works so well I should patent the fucker.[/quote]

Plenty of lads and lassies down in George's Street would be intersted in that concept....worth a punt :msn-wink: yeooww

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS