Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   spluttering below 2k revs (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=241104)

menapia dude 13th November 2017 02:28 PM

spluttering below 2k revs

folks have an 82 katana 1100 starting and running good but up to 2k revs she has a bit of a splutter then when reach 3 to 4 k she perfect,rather than pulling off the carbs is there anything i can put in the tank to try clean the jets out ?

Legion 13th November 2017 02:52 PM

Re: spluttering below 2k revs

Dipetane or redex might do something. Worth a try if it saves pulling the carbs out.

menapia dude 13th November 2017 02:54 PM

[quote=Legion;3506887]Dipetane or redex might do something. Worth a try if it saves pulling the carbs out.[/quote]

thanks mate was thinking that too :thumbsup2:

Gixxer 13th November 2017 03:00 PM

Are the carbs balanced?
Check the rubbers for cracks too.

menapia dude 13th November 2017 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[quote=Gixxer;3506892]Are the carbs balanced?
Check the rubbers for cracks too.[/quote]

new rubbers carbs fully rebuilt

Gixxer 13th November 2017 03:06 PM

Were the carbs balanced though when they were refitted?
Is the battery OK in it? They can run a bit shit at low revs if the battery is low.

menapia dude 13th November 2017 03:10 PM

new motobatt hi output battery,carbs were fully balanced she will tick over perfect even at 500 revs it clears itself after 3k revs

allsorts&oddjobs 13th November 2017 04:26 PM

hiya Brian, Wurth have a very good carb cleaner, cant think of the name of it but youd find it on their site, only one I ever came across that actually works, just add to the tank and go for a spin.

only other thing id try is changing the fuel in the tank if it was in it for a while, some of the shit they sell as petrol goes stale fairly fast.

menapia dude 13th November 2017 04:30 PM

[quote=allsorts&oddjobs;3506922]hiya Brian, Wurth have a very good carb cleaner, cant think of the name of it but youd find it on their site, only one I ever came across that actually works, just add to the tank and go for a spin.

only other thing id try is changing the fuel in the tank if it was in it for a while, some of the shit they sell as petrol goes stale fairly fast.[/quote]

well mate hows things did ya ever finish that z lol, i changed the fuel bought texaco will buy the wurth carb cleaner now thanks mate

Blanka 13th November 2017 05:43 PM

the plug caps could be arcing to the head. it would be made worse if the bike is wet. try starting it in the dark and look for arcing.

menapia dude 13th November 2017 06:10 PM

[quote=Blanka;3506944]the plug caps could be arcing to the head. it would be made worse if the bike is wet. try starting it in the dark and look for arcing.[/quote]

new dyna coils leads and plugs mate

allsorts&oddjobs 13th November 2017 07:17 PM

[quote=menapia dude;3506924]well mate hows things did ya ever finish that z lol, i changed the fuel bought texaco will buy the wurth carb cleaner now thanks mate[/quote]

at it as we speak Brian, engine is out and being blanked off in prep for cleaning/blasting, slow pace but will get there :thumbsup2:

best of luck with the carb issue, if all else fails i'll happily take it off your hands :biggrin_old:

faz1 13th November 2017 08:19 PM

take a/f out, squirt carb cleaner into each intake start bike and try and block/put your hand over each intake whilst revving it in turn. You should feel the suction on yer hand and then pull hand away quickly as you are revving it. It has the effect of pulling any crap out of jets. Worth a try.... repeat and don't be shy with the carb cleaner.

Btw, I assume you have a clean/correct a/f in it...

faz1 13th November 2017 08:20 PM

oh and there's another thing worth checking - don't they have a vacuum petcock? make sure the vac line in't the problem by turning it to pri

Frisco 13th November 2017 08:38 PM

Check the voltage with it running too, a bad reg can do that too

faz1 17th November 2017 03:31 AM

how did you get on?

menapia dude 17th November 2017 10:08 AM

[quote=faz1;3507794]how did you get on?[/quote]

still waiting on the wurth carb cleaner from ebay,as for all the other stuff it is all new,

regulator
battery,plugs,dyna coils,petcock,air filters,this bike was 110% restored with all genuine parts where possible

i should have the carb cleaner today or monday hopefully and then will try it and take it from there thanks for all the help so far :thumbsup2:

menapia dude 17th November 2017 10:08 AM

[quote=Frisco;3506982]Check the voltage with it running too, a bad reg can do that too[/quote]

voltage is perfect thanks

menapia dude 17th November 2017 10:11 AM

[quote=faz1;3506973]take a/f out, squirt carb cleaner into each intake start bike and try and block/put your hand over each intake whilst revving it in turn. You should feel the suction on yer hand and then pull hand away quickly as you are revving it. It has the effect of pulling any crap out of jets. Worth a try.... repeat and don't be shy with the carb cleaner.

Btw, I assume you have a clean/correct a/f in it...[/quote]

air filter brand new original,im going to try wurth cleaner in tank first as pulling the carbs is a bitch of a job,will keep u posted :thumbsup2:

faz1 18th November 2017 12:03 AM

Good luck!

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS