Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Triggered In Limerick (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=241415)

HurricaneDream 7th December 2017 08:54 AM

Triggered In Limerick

This is mainly a rant with i guess a reminder that these fuckers are around but also a suggestions post.

Some little shits (maybe old ) tried to rob my bike last night in limerick city (no surprise). Woke up this morning to head to work and was woundering if ever put the chain on the bikes back wheel. Ran back to my appartment and no sign of it checked the garage and found a link off the chain followed by the chain.

Thank jesus i had a little oxford t disk break on it or im sure they would have popped the steering lock and got the fuck out.

Pretty fucking mad i almost lost my bike :mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1:

Anyone any suggestions to bike security ?

I currently have a gps , chain missing a link , standard steering lock and disk break lock

Thanks in advance

johnny b 7th December 2017 09:05 AM

Re: Triggered In Limerick

Tie a hungry German sheppard to it....

PaulW 7th December 2017 09:16 AM

Anyone seen/bought one of these?? [url]http://where's me stylmartins ! . com/brands/artago-bunker-park-roll/[/url]

They look very solid (if expensive). Then again, how much is the bike worth to you, not just in terms of it's actual cost.

I would prefer to stop them robbing it, rather than using a GPS tracker to get it back, although the tracker can give some peace of mind.

Failing that, a good Almax chain should put them off. You won't cut it with a bolt cutter and an angle grinder will take them over 30 min.

SUGS 7th December 2017 09:24 AM

[quote=HurricaneDream;3510974]This is mainly a rant with i guess a reminder that these fuckers are around but also a suggestions post.

Some little shits (maybe old ) tried to rob my bike last night in limerick city (no surprise). Woke up this morning to head to work and was woundering if ever put the chain on the bikes back wheel. Ran back to my appartment and no sign of it checked the garage and found a link off the chain followed by the chain.

Thank jesus i had a little oxford t disk break on it or im sure they would have popped the steering lock and got the fuck out.

Pretty fucking mad i almost lost my bike :mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1:

Anyone any suggestions to bike security ?

I currently have a gps , chain missing a link , standard steering lock and disk break lock

Thanks in advance[/quote]

you can start by binning that chain and buying a better quality one. Is there anything you can attached chain/bike to? I fail to see why local CoCo continue to refuse to put in some anchors at m/cycle parking spots.

doctorchopper 7th December 2017 09:25 AM

Trackers aren't really all that great, most of the thieving scum have gps and gsm hand held blockers
[url]http://www.jammer4uk.com/car-gps-jammer-c-1.html[/url]

RTV 7th December 2017 09:54 AM

They didn't take it, so I think you are doing everything right. Bigger/better chain to make it even more difficult.

If it's your place and you can, add a motion sensor light and a camera.

HurricaneDream 7th December 2017 09:57 AM

was a cheap enough gps so i thought whats the harm
stored in appartment car park which is inside it looks like one of the rolling doors failed to close last night and someone strolled on in. In relation to anchors there are pillars which will require a bigger chain gonna get one tonight or chain it to an abbanoned car and get one of those beeping disk locks and chuck it on the back break.

Shame i only get my emergency tax back on the 20th would be nice around about now

HurricaneDream 7th December 2017 09:58 AM

But we cant use anchors in the garage :(

HurricaneDream 7th December 2017 09:59 AM

[quote=RTV;3510989]They didn't take it, so I think you are doing everything right. Bigger/better chain to make it even more difficult.

If it's your place and you can, add a motion sensor light and a camera.[/quote]

Unfourtunatly its an appartment but this ^ made me feel better about it
thanks

BigDiggity 7th December 2017 10:13 AM

If you can get an alarm, its a great deterrent. I always got Meta Alarms put on my bikes... They're not overly sensitive but if anyone tries to move the bike it'll howl.

If you can't afford one or don't think it's cost effective, have a look at the higher end alarmed disc locks... some disc locks are very tricky for thieves to get off, nevermind the ones that start screaming as soon as they're moved!

An alarm device will always give you a bit of piece of mind too, because you know if you don't hear it... the bike is safe.

Confusion 7th December 2017 10:21 AM

[quote=HurricaneDream;3510974]
Some little shits (maybe old ) tried to rob my bike last night in limerick city (no surprise).
[/quote]

At least the fuckers didn't get it. I hope they didn't damage anything other
than the chain.

[quote] checked the garage and found a link off the chain followed by the chain. [/quote]

What kind of chain was on it? Have a look at the damaged chain.
Was it cut with a bolt cutter, hacksaw or cutting disc? Hardened
chains bigger than around 14mm are almost impossible to cut with
a cropper or hacksaw.

[quote]Thank jesus i had a little oxford t disk break on it or im sure they would have popped the steering lock and got the fuck out.
[/quote]

It looks like your security was just enough to save the bike.

[quote]Anyone any suggestions to bike security ?[/quote]

Upgrade to a better chain. Unfortunately, the really good ones are
quite expensive.

[quote]
I currently have a gps , chain missing a link , standard steering lock and disk break lock [/quote]

As above, better chain. Use it to lock the bike to a secure anchor. Fit
an alarm. The cheap NCS ones are very effective and easy to fit. It might also
make sense to buy one of the more expensive alarms if it gets you a decent
discount on your insurance.

If the thieves were just local scum rather than professionals, they won't
be happy about their failure to get the bike. You can expect another visit
soon. Be ready.

Kaos Theory 7th December 2017 10:42 AM

Buy a Cyclone alarm off eBay, they cost circa €30, are a piece of piss to fit and make one hell of a racket when disturbed.

Get a bigger, better chain, I'd recommend Almax.

Install a ground anchor, I know you live in an apartment block, but so did a mate of mine and after his bike was robbed twice he told them to go fuck themselves and installed a ground anchor anyway.

HurricaneDream 7th December 2017 11:08 AM

[quote=Confusion;3510996]At least the fuckers didn't get it. I hope they didn't damage anything other
than the chain.

What kind of chain was on it? Have a look at the damaged chain.
Was it cut with a bolt cutter, hacksaw or cutting disc? Hardened
chains bigger than around 14mm are almost impossible to cut with
a cropper or hacksaw.

It looks like your security was just enough to save the bike.

Upgrade to a better chain. Unfortunately, the really good ones are
quite expensive.

As above, better chain. Use it to lock the bike to a secure anchor. Fit
an alarm. The cheap NCS ones are very effective and easy to fit. It might also
make sense to buy one of the more expensive alarms if it gets you a decent
discount on your insurance.

If the thieves were just local scum rather than professionals, they won't
be happy about their failure to get the bike. You can expect another visit
soon. Be ready.[/quote]

i want to say it was cutt with a hack saw as the link cutt off was skightly jaggered also girlfriend comes home at 3am and didnt hear anything and room mate was up untill 2 30 am so i think any electrical tools are out of the
question gonna report it to the guards since the station is down the road and
they are always by my place anyway

Was looking at gettign a bigger oxford lock chain had a master lock chain up to last night wasnt chained to anything

HurricaneDream 7th December 2017 11:09 AM

[quote=Kaos Theory;3510997]Buy a Cyclone alarm off eBay, they cost circa 30, are a piece of piss to fit and make one hell of a racket when disturbed.

Get a bigger, better chain, I'd recommend Almax.

Install a ground anchor, I know you live in an apartment block, but so did a mate of mine and after his bike was robbed twice he told them to go fuck themselves and installed a ground anchor anyway.[/quote]

Yeah im going to do that and chain it up to my mates car wheel in the mean time

-alan- 7th December 2017 11:14 AM

Close one - glad to her they didn't get it.

[quote=HurricaneDream;3511007]i want to say it was cutt with a hack saw as the link cutt off was skightly jaggered also girlfriend comes home at 3am and didnt hear anything and room mate was up untill 2 30 am so i think any electrical tools are out [/quote]

Was going to ask you about that - how they got through the chain. Any hints on what kind of chain it was - just so's I know what's good and not so good ?

HurricaneDream 7th December 2017 11:22 AM

Was like a 40 euro masterlock one i got it from argos or halfords
It was a combo lock but i used a huge ass padlock instead
Thinking of getting something harder like an oxford as there disk lock
saved my asss

oroura25 7th December 2017 11:33 AM

I have a meta alarm on mine. I have an almax chain draped over the engine through the frame and through a ground anchor. I have another chain locking the rear wheel to the frame which locks with an alarm disc lock. I also have another chain from a crash bar on the left of the bike attached to the fork so the steering lock has no chance of being busted. I have a disc lock on the front too. Its a bit of a mission getting it road ready every morning but thats what you get owning a KTM :D

manbearpig 7th December 2017 11:40 AM

[quote=oroura25;3511019]I have a meta alarm on mine. I have an almax chain draped over the engine through the frame and through a ground anchor. I have another chain locking the rear wheel to the frame which locks with an alarm disc lock. I also have another chain from a crash bar on the left of the bike attached to the fork so the steering lock has no chance of being busted. I have a disc lock on the front too. Its a bit of a mission getting it road ready every morning but thats what you get owning a KTM :D[/quote]

Combo of living in dub and owning a KTM? :ninja:

oroura25 7th December 2017 11:45 AM

[quote=manbearpig;3511021]Combo of living in dub and owning a KTM? :ninja:[/quote]

Absolutely :lbhbh:

allsorts&oddjobs 7th December 2017 11:45 AM

[quote=oroura25;3511019]I have a meta alarm on mine. I have an almax chain draped over the engine through the frame and through a ground anchor. I have another chain locking the rear wheel to the frame which locks with an alarm disc lock. I also have another chain from a crash bar on the left of the bike attached to the fork so the steering lock has no chance of being busted. I have a disc lock on the front too. Its a bit of a mission getting it road ready every morning but thats what you get owning a KTM :D[/quote]

good jaysus, id be buying a cheap hack commuter rather than going thru that hassle every day. fair play to you, id be too idle tbh.

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS