Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   High fuel consumption (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=247168)

Johny14586 6th January 2019 05:23 PM

High fuel consumption

I've a 2003 honda shadow 600 and its drinking juice. I went for a spin yesteday morning covering nearly 50 miles and it dam near emptied the tank. Also when the bike is cold it misfires under acceleration, but once it warms up it runs like a dream.

Anyone here to point me in the right direction on what could be causing this???

proto 6th January 2019 07:07 PM

Re: High fuel consumption

Ever had the valves checked? Carbs or fuel injected?
Plugs and airfilter OK?

Phatty McFatt 6th January 2019 07:27 PM

We usually get bitten in the arse by the simple things we forget to look at. Have you looked at your idle speed screw? Good few pranksters messing with them, even kids. To me it sounds like it. Start your engine, locate the screw and see how low you can go without stalling.

Johny14586 6th January 2019 07:59 PM

Thanks for the info. The bike was serviced recently so it say the plugs and filter are fine. I'll have a look at the screw and see what its like.

SoulX 6th January 2019 08:07 PM

Take out the plugs and check the colour.They should be the colour of milk chocolate.Dark means its running rich(too much fuel)light means running lean(not enough fuel)Also have a look at the air filter,this time of year you can get rodents nesting in there causing blockage and restricting air-flow.
All this is assuming you don't have a leak :bag:

Gixxer 6th January 2019 08:18 PM

[quote=Phatty McFatt;3561254]We usually get bitten in the arse by the simple things we forget to look at. Have you looked at your idle speed screw? Good few pranksters messing with them, even kids. To me it sounds like it. Start your engine, locate the screw and see how low you can go without stalling.[/quote]

:woots:

:wassat:

manbearpig 6th January 2019 08:56 PM

[quote=Gixxer;3561258]:woots:

:wassat:[/quote]

Very confused by this myself!

joe williams 6th January 2019 11:24 PM

Are you turning off the choke ?

Frankkilty 6th January 2019 11:54 PM

[quote=manbearpig;3561263]Very confused by this myself![/quote]

Donít be.

allsorts&oddjobs 7th January 2019 06:59 AM

Check that your choke is closing properly, check it the carb not just at the lever, also see if there is petrol leaking down throughthe carbs by checking your oil level and you might also smell petrol in it, if so the needle in the carbs isnt seating properly allowing leakdown.

Simba 7th January 2019 12:27 PM

Had a slimier problem with a Triumph tiger, turned out to be the carb, needed rebuild

chopper 7th January 2019 01:27 PM

is there black smoke when you rev it ?

Johny14586 7th January 2019 08:16 PM

Thanks for the help folks. No smoke when reving, no leaks. Id say it might be the carb as the bike was in my fathers shed for nearly a year before I got it 2 weeks ago.

squag1 7th January 2019 10:39 PM

Air filter

seano 7th January 2019 11:40 PM

As others have said clean the carb, needle and seat is probably sticking from being laid up and bike running rich and even pouring out of the overflow. That be my bet anyway.

ENGLISH 8th January 2019 06:47 PM

A little too much Christmas pudding perhaps ?

Admin 8th January 2019 06:53 PM

:lbhbh:

nednedned 8th January 2019 10:18 PM

Do you juice up at the same petrol station.

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS