Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   High viz craze (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=247151)

Christopher Livingstone Eubanks 4th January 2019 07:11 PM

High viz craze

Don't forget to wear your manky high viz vest or jocks now. High viz everything, paint your bike high viz. It helps avoid crashes 100% of the time. Fact. :thumbsup2:

Caffeine 4th January 2019 07:17 PM

Re: High viz craze

[quote=Christopher Livingstone Eubanks;3561146]Don't forget to wear your manky high viz vest or jocks now. High viz everything, paint your bike high viz. It helps avoid crashes 100% of the time. Fact. :thumbsup2:[/quote]

Totally. They must be made mandatory for cyclists too. For safety.

SoulX 4th January 2019 07:33 PM

Sales of hi-viz gear is banned in egypt.Seems they're more worried about unexpected side-effects.:bag:

proto 4th January 2019 07:55 PM

High Viz also blocks phone signals and wakes up sleepers!

me2 4th January 2019 08:49 PM

prayer beads work just as well, so long as they are not draped around yer neck cos they'll strangle ya in the event of an off. :bag:

Phatty McFatt 4th January 2019 09:03 PM

Was looking to get a hivis coat for my Johnson but they don't make 'em that small. Might get a Land Rover now to get over it ��

Marty LCI 4th January 2019 10:18 PM

:gives: If I think it makes me stand out just a little bit more on a dark or foggy commute then I'll wear whatever the fuck I want. :thumbsup2:

Dirtyshirt 4th January 2019 10:30 PM

I used to wear lots of hi-vis, but now I don't want to be mistaken for some sort of anti everything protestor...

pedrosixfour 4th January 2019 10:52 PM

I always wear hi-vis black.

You should/would/could see me on a snow day!

sharpbikes 5th January 2019 01:33 AM

being a ginger cunt im very used to being visable, with the helmet it fucks that up...... have an orange hi vis to counter this........

Phaedrus 5th January 2019 08:14 AM

MAIDS report...

"[I]The clothing worn by the PTW rider was photographed and evaluated for each MAIDS case. A determination was made by the investigator as to whether or not this clothing contributed to the conspicuity of the PTW and the PTW riders. This evaluation was purely subjective on the part of the investigator. Table 8.13 indicates that in 65.3% of all cases, the clothing made no contribution to the conspicuity of the rider or the PTW. There were very few cases found in which the bright clothing of the PTW rider enhanced the PTWs overall conspicuity[/I]..."

Hi-viz can help, but to assume you'll be seen if you wear it is silly. Everyone wears hi-viz now - fitness-walkers, dog walkers, cyclists, road-workers, feds, school kids, delivery men... hi-viz gear isn't necessarily as effective as you might assume.

Better perhaps to assume you're invisible?

bandit0 5th January 2019 08:47 AM

[url]https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/road-safety-authority-left-redfaced-as-highvis-vests-arent-visible-29419807.html[/url]

Don't forget this debacle. Plenty of these still in use by the unaware.

oretom 5th January 2019 10:00 AM

Can never understand why walkers, cyclists runners etc wear those stupid fukn green /yellow high vis where you just blend in with the background on green country roads, it’s fuking camouflage!! Wear neon pink/blue for contrast... idiotic

chammer 5th January 2019 11:44 AM

[quote=oretom;3561190]Can never understand why walkers, cyclists runners etc wear those stupid fukn green /yellow high vis where you just blend in with the background on green country roads, its fuking camouflage!! Wear neon pink/blue for contrast... idiotic[/quote]

Green/yellow hi viz vests blend in with the background on country roads where you live?
Do you live in Fukushima or Chernobyl?

oroura25 5th January 2019 12:14 PM

Perhaps it's not the clothing itself.... Perhaps there is a correlation between those more inclined to wear visibility gear and safer driving....:bag:

Jack stowage 5th January 2019 01:14 PM

Its the snowflake brigade..oh look at me..i'm needy....:rolleyes2:

Caffeine 5th January 2019 02:01 PM

[quote=chammer;3561194]Green/yellow hi viz vests blend in with the background on country roads where you live?
Do you live in Fukushima or Chernobyl?[/quote]
OTOH you have people with a death wish at night walking or cycling (with earbuds ofc) through "country" roads all in black and not a single reflective piece on them.

mrdimreaper 5th January 2019 03:54 PM

[QUOTE=Phaedrus;3561186]MAIDS report...

"[I]The clothing worn by the PTW rider was photographed and evaluated for each MAIDS case. A determination was made". "This evaluation was purely subjective on the part of the investigator"

kezzer998 5th January 2019 09:18 PM

Very popular in France

oretom 5th January 2019 09:33 PM

[quote=chammer;3561194]Green/yellow hi viz vests blend in with the background on country roads where you live?
Do you live in Fukushima or Chernobyl?[/quote]

Ehhh green / yellow ... ok various shades of green leaves on trees, bushes etc, where do you live and what colour are they??

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS