Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   How uncomfortable is the R1? (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=247126)

Phatty McFatt 1st January 2019 05:15 PM

How uncomfortable is the R1?

Like the title says, how uncomfortable would it be?
End of 2018 brought a new and better job and i'll be saving for my next ride, going up from the sv650s but not all the way up to the fjr1300 that is my ultimate goal.
I'm 6'2", inseam is 34 (aprox). 15 stone atm. The sv felt like pure torture at first if i rode it for more than 20 mins at a time, things have improved and i can almost not complain about a 2 hr ride. I became more flexible, i guess. But the goal is to do 100s of miles a day, thousands in 2-3 weeks every summer. I could go back to cruisers but i got to a point where i really like being able to open the throttle and get away from careless cagers no matter the speed.

dec c 1st January 2019 05:20 PM

Re: How uncomfortable is the R1?

Why not just get an fjr

thecrutch 1st January 2019 05:31 PM

tracer or MT10 may be more usable for your planned mileage

galway86 1st January 2019 05:51 PM

I'd a 03 r1 ,hated it, too cramped and your an inch taller

Phatty McFatt 1st January 2019 05:56 PM

[quote=dec c;3560940]Why not just get an fjr[/quote]

Well it has all been a slow(er) progression so far. Marauder 125, a Vulcan 400 and the sv now. Jumping to fjr is a bit steep, i'm not in a hurry.

Also, the fact that one machine is less ideal than another doesnt bother me. I did several days of 400-500 km on the 125. With patience and maintenance anything is achieveable. I somehow got my eyes on the R1 (seems more appealing than the fz1) and i am trying to learn about the comfort factor. Taller rider. Probably heavier by the time i buy it.

dec c 1st January 2019 06:04 PM

[quote=Phatty McFatt;3560944]Well it has all been a slow(er) progression so far. Marauder 125, a Vulcan 400 and the sv now. Jumping to fjr is a bit steep, i'm not in a hurry.[/quote]

You what

Phatty McFatt 1st January 2019 06:21 PM

[quote=dec c;3560945]You what[/quote]

Started in my mid 30s, bit over 12 months ago. Plenty of reasons not to throw myself blindly into something. Took my time, had the 3 bikes all in 1 year. Got comfy on one, moved to the next. I was not sure i'd like the sportier 650 after the first 2 machines but i ended up loving it. Now i see a certain path ahead of me.
I understand most folks here did and do things differently, but my way works for me.

Japcati 1st January 2019 06:23 PM

Tracer is the mutts nuts.

dec c 1st January 2019 06:29 PM

[quote=Phatty McFatt;3560950]Started in my mid 30s, bit over 12 months ago. Plenty of reasons not to throw myself blindly into something. Took my time, had the 3 bikes all in 1 year. Got comfy on one, moved to the next. I was not sure i'd like the sportier 650 after the first 2 machines but i ended up loving it. Now i see a certain path ahead of me.
I understand most folks here did and do things differently, but my way works for me.[/quote]

You do realise an r1 is a 1000cc sports bike and an fjr is a big lazy tourer

Phatty McFatt 1st January 2019 06:38 PM

I see nothing wrong with enjoying the sporty yet full of torque r1 on the way to the "lazy tourer". There are among my friends girls who ride r1. But we're moving away from the purpose of this thread. In the pictures r1 seems larger than the sv650s. However, i hace not been near one yet. That is why i ask.

allsorts&oddjobs 1st January 2019 07:17 PM

Go to a dealer and sit on one, take it for a test ride, comfort is subjective, i know lads who cant get comfy on a pan ffs.

Japcati 1st January 2019 07:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
R1 isn't too bad for touring on.
I'm 6 feet 1 tall.
It's certainly doable.

jp biker 1st January 2019 08:08 PM

I find there grand but what year are you looking ?
I found the older model more cramped than my 14
But I'm only 5feet 7.you can drop the footpegs on mine
Slightly too make it more comfortable

xNuke 1st January 2019 08:12 PM

It's not the whole story, but this website will give you an idea of what position you'll be in on virtually any bike. Might be worth having a look.

[url]http://cycle-ergo.com/[/url]

dukeboy2 1st January 2019 08:50 PM

I have a 2007 R1 and I'm similar size (6'1 and about 13 stone).

It's a great bike but I'm not sure I'd like to do more than a couple of hours a day on it. I mostly use it for track days at this point. I have an xsr700 that I use for day-to-day commuting.

I kind of agree with the other folks here. If you want a full on track bike and intend to take it to Mondello, then the R1 is a great choice.

If it's a nice warm, dry summer day I'll take the R1 out for a spin on the twisties and it's awesome. But for the vast majority of Irish weather conditions it's just too damn powerful to really enjoy it.

As soon as it even starts to get cold or wet I'll take the xsr every time because it's a lot more comfortable and easier to ride but still has enough power to be plenty of fun without having the constant fear that I'm going to open the throttle a little too fast and high-side it.

For higher mileage and touring I'd certainly take a look at the tracer, MT-09 or MT10.

sharpbikes 1st January 2019 10:08 PM

have an 04 r1, im 5 8" and its grand but thats with adjustable rearsets set to the lowest. very different to the fjr, great fun and very lively on wet roads

cracker boy 2nd January 2019 12:27 AM

Tracer GT or an MT10

vinnym 2nd January 2019 02:10 AM

Mt10 sounds about right for what you want.
Must go to the local dealer and get a test ride on one myself.

Kaos Theory 2nd January 2019 10:21 AM

Buy a Fazer/FZ1, detuned R1 engine but still well able to shift and has the kind of comfort you're looking for.

positron 2nd January 2019 12:38 PM

[quote=Phatty McFatt;3560955]I see nothing wrong with enjoying the sporty yet full of torque r1 on the way to the "lazy tourer". There are among my friends girls who ride r1. But we're moving away from the purpose of this thread. In the pictures r1 seems larger than the sv650s. However, i hace not been near one yet. That is why i ask.[/quote]

Careful now, don't want to offend girls with comments like that. :rolleyes2:

This site might be useful for you to, helps you compare your measurements against various models.

[url]http://cycle-ergo.com/[/url]

:thumbsup2:

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS