Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Bike shipping from Cyprus (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=250605)

KawaZseven50 31st December 2019 10:47 PM

Bike shipping from Cyprus

Long time not on here but might somebody knows something about a Shipping Company who could ship a motorbike from Cyprus to UK or Ireland the better.
I tried a few but quotes were coming back close to a sum where I'd rater wait for another bike to come up for sale closer to home.

Any ideas?

efanton 1st January 2020 02:25 AM

Re: Bike shipping from Cyprus

I would imagine Cyprus is going to be a pig to get any sort of decent shipping quote.
Dont forget that shipping will include at least two sea crossings, unless you want to talk crazy prices for air freight.

What bike are you looking for?
I would imagine most bikes would be available in the UK, Germany, and France and are going to give you best value as the main transport companies all operate there and it will be easier for them to schedule your bike as a part load on a truck.

Of course there is the alternative of cheap flight ( or bus) out and ride it back yourself if you can get your insurance company to agree to that.

seano 2nd January 2020 01:56 PM

Best bet would be get a price for two pallet spaces from a freight company and see if you or whoever is sending it can make a pallet for it and strap it down.

positron 2nd January 2020 02:44 PM

Is it an exotic / classic or something? If the bike is roadworthy, it would be an amazing ride home - boat to Turkey, riding thru Istanbul, across Europe all the way home. I am not sure how insurance etc will work out on someone else's bike, but I am sure there will be folks interested in doing this?

Dirtyshirt 2nd January 2020 02:56 PM

Wait for something closer. Not worth the hassle unless it is one of Lawrence of Arabia's old bikes.

KawaZseven50 3rd January 2020 12:13 AM

Thanks for input. Much appreciated. It is a classic bike and not running. So a roadtrip is off the cards...sadly. Would be some adventure I'd say.

I messaged several companies.
Most of them came back with in around 1800.
Which I thought it is not a bad price but might get it cheaper somewhere.
Also a few wanted to have the bike in a crate.

I remember on here was a person who went into that sort of business but the search didn't show any suggestions.

Still waiting on a few other companies to get back.
Fingers crossed.

scarebus03 6th January 2020 12:22 AM

Try KWE (Kintetsu World Express). I use them in the job.

KawaZseven50 8th January 2020 03:55 PM

So....I bought the bike yesterday after the shipping companies came back out of their hibernation.
Most quotes came back to a price I expected.
ATM I have it tied down to 3 companies in around the same price range.
Huge difference so far is how professional they work.
I mean website layout.
Asking questions to you or are have a great knockledge about what and how they are going to do their job.

So yeah...Fingers crossed and hopefully the bike will be here in a few weeks time.

I'll let you know once the bike arrives here with whom I went and what was involved in the process to do it.

efanton 8th January 2020 05:17 PM

something that you might consider,

Get it shipped to a Overlanders shipping point, and then get them ship it from there.

Dont know if it will make a difference in price, it might, but at least you know the bike will be in good care and with a reputable company for the majority of the trip

Could be a terrible idea that costs a lot more, but its an idea.

KawaZseven50 9th January 2020 04:19 PM

Too many hands involved!
That was major concern for me.
I even ask the boys from Gorey but they only do mainland. Fair enough.

I can't tell you what sort of charge would be involved in splitting the transport within companies but one crowd came back to me today and wanted 635 euro plus Vodka and Tonic only for bringing the bike from Brentford to Dublin port.
I am just waiting for one more company to come just to compare 4quotes and services to give the final go ahead.