Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Cj 360 t (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=250335)

thecelt 7th November 2019 09:37 PM

Cj 360 t

[url=https://postimg.cc/m1cBGSYn][img]https://i.postimg.cc/m1cBGSYn/20191107-211626.jpg[/img][/url]

Picked this up yesterday. Non runner yet but all there

PJ 8th November 2019 08:40 AM

Re: Cj 360 t

Looks fairly intact. Keep posting pics as you progress.

Burt_Munro 8th November 2019 09:52 AM

What do plan on doing with it?

thecelt 8th November 2019 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=PJ;3582457]Looks fairly intact. Keep posting pics as you progress.[/QUOTE]

It's not too bad I'm gonna try get it going first new coils and points need rewiring hopefully get engine turning over then I might strip it down .carbs prob need overhauling. All new to me but I'm in it for the long run

thecelt 8th November 2019 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=Burt_Munro;3582469]What do plan on doing with it?[/QUOTE]

Get it going first clean it up il see then maybe cafe it at some stage when I get a bit better at this stuff.

ENGLISH 8th November 2019 11:23 AM

[QUOTE=thecelt;3582471]Get it going first clean it up il see then maybe cafe it at some stage when I get a bit better at this stuff.[/QUOTE]

Don't spend too much . Just try get it going without spending much and sell for a profit.

thecelt 8th November 2019 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=ENGLISH;3582484]Don't spend too much . Just try get it going without spending much and sell for a profit.[/QUOTE]

It's a project I'm in no hurry .not trying to flip just starting out on something that hopefully wont be too completed

-alan- 9th November 2019 10:55 PM

Hey - good job!

You should be able to make a good bike out of her. If there's anything I can help with - gimme a shout any stage :thumbsup2:

chopper 10th November 2019 11:14 PM

The werent the best of hondas . Most are long dead

thecelt 11th November 2019 06:48 AM

[QUOTE=chopper;3582586]The werent the best of hondas . Most are long dead[/QUOTE]

Lol too late telling me that now .

-alan- 11th November 2019 05:36 PM

Ah I don't think they were that bad at all. It's basically a CB360 with a bit of cost cutting on the chassis parts, and the electric start removed. You don't see many of the CJs because they only made them for a year.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CJ_series[/url]

Don't think I've ever seen one - just the CJ250T, and only ever in yellow. They weren't the coolest bike back in the day with things like the RD250/400 strokers, and CB400 Fours around, and definitely not the quickest - but when you get to the vintage bike stage, who cares :) Things like the front drum brake actually look better on an old bike - imho

thecelt 11th November 2019 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=-alan-;3582625]Ah I don't think they were that bad at all. It's basically a CB360 with a bit of cost cutting on the chassis parts, and the electric start removed. You don't see many of the CJs because they only made them for a year.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CJ_series[/url]

Don't think I've ever seen one - just the CJ250T, and only ever in yellow. They weren't the coolest bike back in the day with things like the RD250/400 strokers, and CB400 Fours around, and definitely not the quickest - but when you get to the vintage bike stage, who cares :) Things like the front drum brake actually look better on an old bike - imho[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter it's a start for me .learning already but setting the new points is an absolute bitch might consider the electronic timing .time will tell

thecelt 15th November 2019 10:19 PM

[QUOTE=-alan-;3582567]Hey - good job!

You should be able to make a good bike out of her. If there's anything I can help with - gimme a shout any stage :thumbsup2:[/QUOTE]

Hey alan just wondering if u have used electronic ignition timing g as I'm having trouble setting the new points that were given to me with the bike.must be the crap Chinese stuff as if even tried to file them for more play and the still dont make and break properly or maybe I'm missing something

Gixxer 15th November 2019 10:50 PM

[QUOTE=thecelt;3582847]Hey alan just wondering if u have used electronic ignition timing g as I'm having trouble setting the new points that were given to me with the bike.must be the crap Chinese stuff as if even tried to file them for more play and the still dont make and break properly or maybe I'm missing something[/QUOTE]

This should have nothing to do with the points. Unless the cam lobe is worn, the points should open (and close) enough.
Have you checked the dwell angle?

thecelt 15th November 2019 11:22 PM

[QUOTE=Gixxer;3582849]This should have nothing to do with the points. Unless the cam lobe is worn, the points should open (and close) enough.
Have you checked the dwell angle?[/QUOTE]

No havnt but will have to look up what dwell angle is

thecelt 15th November 2019 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=Gixxer;3582849]This should have nothing to do with the points. Unless the cam lobe is worn, the points should open (and close) enough.
Have you checked the dwell angle?[/QUOTE]

The points dont tend to close at all even moving backing plate beyond the notch .am still learning this stuff .dwell angle looks too complicated

Gixxer 16th November 2019 12:39 AM

[QUOTE=thecelt;3582855]The points dont tend to close at all even moving backing plate beyond the notch .am still learning this stuff .dwell angle looks too complicated[/QUOTE]

If they're not closing at all (easy to check with a bulb), then either the points themself aren't right or they're not fitted correctly. Is there a locating pin on the back of them? If the locating pin is located in its hole, and the adjustment is backed right off, and the points still aren't closing (assuming they're not stuck or something), then the points aren't right.

thecelt 17th November 2019 01:42 PM

[QUOTE=Gixxer;3582859]If they're not closing at all (easy to check with a bulb), then either the points themself aren't right or they're not fitted correctly. Is there a locating pin on the back of them? If the locating pin is located in its hole, and the adjustment is backed right off, and the points still aren't closing (assuming they're not stuck or something), then the points aren't right.[/QUOTE]

I had another look at the dwell earlier and I turned the cam 180 degrees and it was better when I lined up the LF and F but I have bigger problems now shaft sheared off the kickstart but thanks for the info

chopper 17th November 2019 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=thecelt;3582847]Hey alan just wondering if u have used electronic ignition timing g as I'm having trouble setting the new points that were given to me with the bike.must be the crap Chinese stuff as if even tried to file them for more play and the still dont make and break properly or maybe I'm missing something[/QUOTE]

A lot of the Honda's needed longer slots filed in the plate if using non OEM points

thecelt 17th November 2019 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=chopper;3582923]A lot of the Honda's needed longer slots filed in the plate if using non OEM points[/QUOTE]

Ya I see an American site that supply a round file and a few washers when u purchase off them

chopper 17th November 2019 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=thecelt;3582925]Ya I see an American site that supply a round file and a few washers when u purchase off them[/QUOTE]

I remember doing it to CB Honda's back in the 80s lol. Damnit I'm old .

I'm gonna go with that old saying .."your only as old as the woman you feel" :-)

thecelt 17th November 2019 05:37 PM

[QUOTE=chopper;3582945]I remember doing it to CB Honda's back in the 80s lol. Damnit I'm old .

I'm gonna go with that old saying .."your only as old as the woman you feel" :-)[/QUOTE]

Lol

-alan- 19th November 2019 07:56 PM

Only seeing this now - was away for a while, apologies

No I stuck with the points. The 450 revs to 10k happily on the std OEM points so I thought fkit, it runs well enough/one less expense why bother. Dunno if its exactly the same setup on the 360 - but there is a recommended sequence for the steps on both sides to give you the best chance of setting it accurately.

Saw you had the problem with the kickstart on the other thread :doh: Jz, that's a bummer.

Tell us this whereabouts are you - Drop me a PM sure and if you're anywhere close I'll see if I can take a scoot over and see if I can hep you figure out what's going on if it would help.

thecelt 19th November 2019 08:14 PM

[QUOTE=-alan-;3583031]Only seeing this now - was away for a while, apologies

No I stuck with the points. The 450 revs to 10k happily on the std OEM points so I thought fkit, it runs well enough/one less expense why bother. Dunno if its exactly the same setup on the 360 - but there is a recommended sequence for the steps on both sides to give you the best chance of setting it accurately.

Saw you had the problem with the kickstart on the other thread :doh: Jz, that's a bummer.

Tell us this whereabouts are you - Drop me a PM sure and if you're anywhere close I'll see if I can take a scoot over and see if I can hep you figure out what's going on if it would help.[/QUOTE]

Cheers lad I'm gonna remove the engine anyway to replace the kickstart shaft I have the clymer manual so hopefully will manage but cheers for the offer

-alan- 20th November 2019 03:54 PM

No worries. If you do end up beat at any stage and want a look at how anything's set up on the 450, gimme a shout :thumbsup2:

thecelt 20th November 2019 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=-alan-;3583058]No worries. If you do end up beat at any stage and want a look at how anything's set up on the 450, gimme a shout :thumbsup2:[/QUOTE]

Cool man .appreciate the offer