Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Restoring metalwork (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=250322)

ars 6th November 2019 06:30 PM

Restoring metalwork

I'm trying to get this back to looking a bit better than it is.. What's the best way of cleaning it up?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/hFTCA0Xl.jpg[/img]

Mr Snapped Banjo String 6th November 2019 06:35 PM

Re: Restoring metalwork

Nitromores.... wire brush.... clean it off... primer ... paint colour of your choice....

Sand blaster could be an option too??

seano 6th November 2019 06:35 PM

Most professional looking would probably be soda blast and respray cheapest probably scrub, sand and a spray

f4fwildcat 6th November 2019 06:35 PM

If you're only looking to clean it up and not restore it to new. What I've been doing is using a brass wire wheel in a drill to clean of as much rust and loose paint as I can. Then you can use a rust converter or a primer and then paint black with automotive paint. A few coats will make for a tougher finish and with the cold weather now you might need to leave the spray cans in some warm water to thin the paint and or you might be lucky to have a heated shed.

That's what I do if I'm only looking to clean something up and not go the way of sandblasting and powder coating or painting it professionally.

SoulX 6th November 2019 06:43 PM

Wire brush the shit out of it then black hammerite.

ars 6th November 2019 06:54 PM

Thanks lads...I'm debating whether to just slap it back on the way it is as it won't be seen when the fairing and clocks are back on.
There is a part of me that thinks I should try and clean it up. :ninja:

seano 6th November 2019 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=ars;3582348]Thanks lads...I'm debating whether to just slap it back on the way it is as it won't be seen when the fairing and clocks are back on.
There is a part of me that thinks I should try and clean it up. :ninja:[/QUOTE]

I'd throw any paint at all on if your not going to do anything so it at least won't rust more. It will rust quicker where the paint has gone

ars 6th November 2019 07:10 PM

I'll see how much it'll be to blast it so...can't imagine it being that much for such a small item.

sharpbikes 6th November 2019 07:13 PM

get it powder coated, most lads that powder coat can blast for you too

f4fwildcat 6th November 2019 08:17 PM

If you're going to sandblast and powder coat I'd get a few other items to go with it, I'm guessing they will charge about as much for one piece as a few together but can't say for sure myself as I've never looked into it.

DavyH 6th November 2019 08:40 PM

That’s not even all that rough looking,a good clean with an oily rag and a wipe down you’ll probably find it presentable

me2 6th November 2019 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=SoulX;3582346]Wire brush the shit out of it then black hammerite.[/QUOTE]
Anything but hammerite as a first option, when fully cured its still too soft and readily rubs off leaving exposed metal. It's only plus is it allows ya to put off till tomorrow what should be tackled today.

SoulX 6th November 2019 09:26 PM

[QUOTE=me2;3582367]Anything but hammerite as a first option, when fully cured its still too soft and readily rubs off leaving exposed metal. It's only plus is it allows ya to put off till tomorrow what should be tackled today.[/QUOTE]

I painted the frame of my kids Italjet with hammerite about 15 yrs ago and it's still perfect,despite their best efforts :devil:

sharpbikes 6th November 2019 09:30 PM

trick ive used is to strip it to bare metal then shove it in the oven for 20 mins and then spray it using engine enamel paint, generally bakes on fairly hard, just keep an eye out for flying cutlery when she catches you putting parts in the oven

Beard-Face 6th November 2019 09:43 PM

Wire brush on a drill then rattle can black primer, black paint and a coat or two of lacquer. Job for life and cost u about 30 quid. Hardest part is putting the time in.

Unfazed 6th November 2019 10:18 PM

[QUOTE=ars;3582348]Thanks lads...I'm debating whether to just slap it back on the way it is as it won't be seen when the fairing and clocks are back on.
There is a part of me that thinks I should try and clean it up. :ninja:[/QUOTE]

Its a €250 part, I would be cleaning it and painting :thumbsup2:

me2 7th November 2019 01:24 AM

[QUOTE=SoulX;3582368]I painted the frame of my kids Italjet with hammerite about 15 yrs ago and it's still perfect,despite their best efforts :devil:[/QUOTE]
I too speak with authority, having considerable experience with hammerite painting my roadgoing old nail, much to my shame being able to make such a confession. :bag:

CodeJACK 7th November 2019 08:20 AM

My GIVI pannier rack is in similar condition and this is one of the jobs I'd like to get done. I was gonna have them blasted and then hammerite em. Powercoating is expensive (80€ min i think) so ill see how much a tin of hammerite is.

RTV 7th November 2019 09:59 AM

Wire brush the shit out of it, primer, paint and it'll look perfect.

Thin coats of paint to avoid runs and you'll be golden.

seano 7th November 2019 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=CodeJACK;3582383]My GIVI pannier rack is in similar condition and this is one of the jobs I'd like to get done. I was gonna have them blasted and then hammerite em. Powercoating is expensive (80€ min i think) so ill see how much a tin of hammerite is.[/QUOTE]

Try Eddie at Sodablast.ie never priced stuff off him but he's commented prices on his bookface account a few times 350 for a set of cage wheels blasted prepped and powder coated so a few small pannier racks mightn't be too bad. He does a lot of bike stuff being one himself

Gixxer 7th November 2019 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=seano;3582404]He does a lot of bike stuff being one himself[/QUOTE] He's a bike? :wassat:

seano 7th November 2019 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=Gixxer;3582405]He's a bike? :wassat:[/QUOTE]

:doh:
It's 2019 after all, one can be whatever they want :lbhbh:

me2 7th November 2019 04:11 PM

[QUOTE=seano;3582406]:doh:
It's 2019 after all, one can be whatever they want :lbhbh:[/QUOTE]
Which pronoun does the bike prefer we use?

sharpbikes 7th November 2019 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=CodeJACK;3582383]My GIVI pannier rack is in similar condition and this is one of the jobs I'd like to get done. I was gonna have them blasted and then hammerite em. Powercoating is expensive (80€ min i think) so ill see how much a tin of hammerite is.[/QUOTE]

ive used mpc (midlands powder coating) once or twice in the past and he was cheap, not sure id give him an expensive set of wheels but racks, and fairing stays and whatnot id get done there

Gixxer 7th November 2019 07:20 PM

if you have a compressor, make yourself a little soda/sand blaster. It's really easy.

Blueb6 7th November 2019 07:38 PM

[QUOTE=RTV;3582387]Wire brush the shit out of it, primer, paint and it'll look perfect.

Thin coats of paint to avoid runs and you'll be golden.[/QUOTE]

This :thumbsup2:

Jack stowage 8th November 2019 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=Gixxer;3582416]if you have a compressor, make yourself a little soda/sand blaster. It's really easy.[/QUOTE]

He cant even decide how to clean and paint that frame ffs...............:rolleyes2:

CodeJACK 8th November 2019 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=Gixxer;3582416]if you have a compressor, make yourself a little soda/sand blaster. It's really easy.[/QUOTE]

Actually, that reminds me I have the lidl sand blast gun buried in the garage somewhere. Time to find out how shite it is I suppose

ratbag 9th December 2019 07:48 PM

wire brush then coat with fertan