Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Stator issue/repair needed (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=250298)

Honda boi 3rd November 2019 08:05 PM

Stator issue/repair needed

Well lads.
I've an issue with the charging system on the gsx 1400.
Bike would struggle to start and most of the time would need to use the booster pack on it.battery was only a year old .
So I recharged the battery ,read 12.7v so all good.
Voltage at idle eventually got to 13v but when I increased the rpm the voltage dropped.
So I tested the rectifier and all diodes tested fine.
Tested the stator winding resistance and all in spec of the Haynes manual.
But when I tested the AC of each winding from the stator at 5krpm , I was only getting 45volts instead of a stated 60v needed in the manual.
Does this explain the crappy charging system and why the volts decrease with increased rpm?
Is there somewhere to rewind these? Preferably in a day or 2?

DavyH 3rd November 2019 08:41 PM

Re: Stator issue/repair needed

Are the 3 phases all even? Usually youíd have issues where thereís low AC volts on 1, MAYBE 2 phases and that would be a sure sign of a failing stator/generator!

The diode test is not conclusive,as that only tests the rectifier as opposed to the regulator

Honda boi 3rd November 2019 09:04 PM

Ye Dave I was getting 15v AC at idle on all 3 of the wires and 45volts on all 3 wires at 5k rpm.
I'm guessing there's no way to test the regulator at home?

DavyH 3rd November 2019 10:40 PM

Did you test for continuity to ground on the 3 phase? You could have voltage getting syphoned off there.

Sometimes the manual with give resistance specs to test the regulator but not always. Do that continuity test,see if itís grounding out on you first:thumbsup2:

Honda boi 4th November 2019 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=DavyH;3582179]Did you test for continuity to ground on the 3 phase? You could have voltage getting syphoned off there.

Sometimes the manual with give resistance specs to test the regulator but not always. Do that continuity test,see if itís grounding out on you first:thumbsup2:[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately tested against ground and nope , all good there.

vifferman 4th November 2019 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=Honda boi;3582187]Unfortunately tested against ground and nope , all good there.[/QUOTE]

Possibly a bad connection somewhere. Does the GSX have a proper car type alternator with separate rectifier and regulator built in, or is it stator winding on the engine with a reg/rec mounted on the frame.

Honda boi 5th November 2019 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=vifferman;3582231]Possibly a bad connection somewhere. Does the GSX have a proper car type alternator with separate rectifier and regulator built in, or is it stator winding on the engine with a reg/rec mounted on the frame.[/QUOTE]
The gsx has the stator inside the engine and the rectifier is mounted on the frame under the seat.

Had a nosey at the cables going from the stator to the rectifier and from there to the battery and no signs of bad connection or knocked cables.

mrdimreaper 5th November 2019 12:48 PM

did you check the stator ac output with the reg/rec disconnected?

Honda boi 5th November 2019 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=mrdimreaper;3582258]did you check the stator ac output with the reg/rec disconnected?[/QUOTE]

Yep I disconnected the stator from the rectifier.
Measured the straight ac output from the stator.

kildare09 5th November 2019 05:52 PM

Try checking all connections are good and are not loose or burnt, I'd be looking for the voltage from the stator to increase dramatically as revs rise with the plug disconnected from reg rec.