Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Triples vs IL4 vs Twins (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=241770)

manbearpig 12th January 2018 11:16 AM

Triples vs IL4 vs Twins

Hey lads,

Currently on an IL4 bike (Honda X11) - love the bike, comfortable and super reliable.

The previous machine was a 1098 - loved the engine (not around town). Plenty of wallop and torque on tap. At slow speeds a bit jerky but not the type of bike you'd commute on anyway.

I had a go of the MT-09 - loved the engine, as a triple loved the extra torque compared to the IL4's but also loved the smoother slower speeds.

In the near future I'd love to sell the X11 and move onto a triple - anyone give me an insight to what it's like to commute and live with a triple? Was thinking Daytona, speed triple etc etc. . . anything that I should be looking for?

I'd say that the budget is around the 5k mark - again this is just hypothetical so looking for opinions on the engine types and living with triples :)

iano 12th January 2018 11:17 AM

Re: Triples vs IL4 vs Twins

Don't sell the X11
Always regret selling mine

manbearpig 12th January 2018 11:27 AM

[quote=iano;3516037]Don't sell the X11
Always regret selling mine[/quote]

One of the best bikes for reliability and comfort - just doesn't put a smile on the face anymore. . . .what a work horse though, started doesn't even whirl and she's running.

The ducati always had me sweating - is it going to start or not. X11 is the opposite - so dependable

KildareMan 12th January 2018 12:50 PM

Commute on my Tiger 800. Love the engine. Loads of torque. Love the triumph sound as well.

Interceptor 12th January 2018 01:23 PM

OP, twins and triples have more character than IL4s but you should try them all and buy what you like. The MT09 is a cracker of a bike but needs major suspension upgrades to be as good as your Honda.

'c

thecrutch 12th January 2018 01:48 PM

I love the sound of the v4's
Had a vfr 800 and 1200
I have a triple 1050. Like it too
Have a bit of a bone for an mt10 or tuono v4, liking the sound thing
Rode a couple of twins
Sp2 and TLR these were miles ahead of vstrom or va radar
The parellel twin of the nc700 and AT felt a bit weedy by comparison
Have rode an IL4 in ages

-alan- 12th January 2018 02:04 PM

Always fancied a triple - having owned bikes with most of the other configurations. The older Triumph ones I looked at in the past were fairly tall and definitely felt on the top-heavy side compared to many of the IL4s for some reason.

Probably not the case now - but worth trying one or two maybe to see how you get on.

knightrider 12th January 2018 04:24 PM

The x11 is a beast. "bollock naked blackbird" as my mate called it

cbroar 12th January 2018 04:37 PM

Looking at getting the tracer 900 but current deal to pay the vrt only applies to 2017 bike, was hoping to order the 2018 model and pay the current offer price. No sale so.
Also looking for a good X11, regret selling mine too.

GreenRex 12th January 2018 04:41 PM

[quote=knightrider;3516089]The x11 is a beast. "bollock naked blackbird" as my mate called it[/quote]

This is a great way to put it :thumbsup2: . I have a V-Twin ( 990 SD 07 ), an IL-4 (ZRX1200 04) and a triple ( wife's Speedy 2015 ST ) . I like them all, but TBH nothing is better then a big old Lump of a 4 that pulls like a train. Of course its all in the motor , when they put them into naked bikes, they sometimes are emasculated from some reason.

Of course I am somewhat biased :ninja:

the landshark 12th January 2018 08:05 PM

If you like the X11 and want a triple you'd definetly want to consider a benelli tnt 1130

[IMG]http://moto.zombdrive.com/images/benelli-tnt-1130-titanium-5.jpg[/IMG]

Flipo 12th January 2018 09:49 PM

peoples oppinions are different .V twin has a lot more toque and thats what you use on road riding. Inline 4 has more bhp and you use that in racing torque starts low down in the rev range where as bhp is higher up :smileee:

best sound i say V twin - depending on your riding style and where your riding no one can answer whars best for you.

i would say for town work go for a inline 4 its a lot smoother :cool3:

blk150 13th January 2018 09:12 PM

Jesus the X11 was a savage yoke. Felt like it could drive through a wall and still keep going.

woodsman 14th January 2018 09:40 AM

Doesnít sound like youíre going all out for comfort on the commute suggesting Daytona / Speed Triple. Obviously the x11 has more than enough power and itís time to get rid of the ugly bitch and get a gorgeous Triumph triple.:lbhbh:
If youíre used to the naked and it doesnít bother you then a Speedy would do the job. Daytona 955 will give you loads of power and has a characterful engine,but not many here.
If youíre looking for a Triumph Iíd look across the water.:thumbsup2:
There are minor issues with all models but nothing major. Anything with a sss check the rear wheel / hub bearing.

DavyH 14th January 2018 11:53 AM

Mt09 is a good commuter, comfortable and torquey. As mentioned the suspension leaves alot to be desired. Good brakes,and quite easy to maneuver but they become very light and unstable up front at speed. More so the tracer I found,mt09 is more fun then the tracer and is mapped differently,and possibly different gearing.

In saying all that you can't beat a big smooth inline 4 for easy of use in traffic,more forgiving if you're in the wrong gear

fatbast 14th January 2018 12:10 PM

[quote=the landshark;3516132]If you like the X11 and want a triple you'd definetly want to consider a benelli tnt 1130

[IMG]http://moto.zombdrive.com/images/benelli-tnt-1130-titanium-5.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

I had one just like that exciting bike but lots of niggly issues...

Just px'd a street triple R against my 1190 adventure nice bike a bit small but great handling and motor.

thecelt 14th January 2018 01:31 PM

[quote=fatbast;3516330]I had one just like that exciting bike but lots of niggly issues...

Just px'd a street triple R against my 1190 adventure nice bike a bit small but great handling and motor.[/quote]

I have a 765 street triple and it's awesome so u agree with ya

Alabama Whitman 14th January 2018 05:15 PM

I'don't love to ride a couple of twins.😊

Alabama Whitman 14th January 2018 05:16 PM

That should read 'I would love '

Paranoid android 14th January 2018 05:45 PM

[quote=Alabama Whitman;3516364]That should read 'I would love '[/quote]

For sure !!:lbhbh:

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS