Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Opinions on the Ducati Scrambler (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=247962)

elmo 14th March 2019 02:27 AM

Opinions on the Ducati Scrambler

Hey lads,

I've been off the bike for about 2 years now after selling my Street Triple R. To be honest, the reason why I sold the Triumph was I had a significant injury and between that and my lack of control over my right hand (throttle not wanking) I was worried I was going to make it worse! Loved it.

I want to get back on a bike for a 15k commute in and out of the city.

I'm a big fan of classic style/naked bikes. I have been considering things like the Scrambler/Bonneville after looking at the Royal Enfields and Heralds and coming to the conclusion that they were poor.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Cafe Racer Scrambler but wanted to know any experienced feedback. It has a good power to weight ratio, a driving position I like, seem's quite controllable for a busy commute and it looks cool imo.

Any thoughts?

johnny b 14th March 2019 08:02 AM

Re: Opinions on the Ducati Scrambler

Get a test spin on one before you buy.
A lot of wedge to find out it doesn't suit.
Ducati dublin may not offer this but they should to sell units.
If not head up north to milsport Ducati where they will gladly look after you.
Go quick before brexit!:ninja:

moose loose aboot the hoose 14th March 2019 08:33 AM

Cafe racer may put unneccessay weight on wrists and could exacerbate your previous injury...

Not sure of circumstance but something like a cbr1000 might be better (naked/modern retro)

Just my 2 cents

dukeboy2 14th March 2019 09:00 AM

I have a Yamaha xsr700.

It has higher handlebars than my old Ducati monster and is significantly more comfortable to ride because of the more upright riding position.

It's not quite as stylish as the scrambler but it's pretty easy to customize and the engine is great.

Dub Duke 14th March 2019 09:44 AM

Love the idea of the Duke Scrambler. Don't know anyone with one though. I see they have 9(!) different variants - probably best to get one with higher handlebars.

fatbast 14th March 2019 10:30 AM

Know 2 guys with scramblers one urban enduro and the other the full throttle...they both love the bike great fun to ride although shock a bit basic, no reliability issues with them. Quite a small size bike. There is a 1100 version too but it's not that much more powerful and heavier. New triumph speed twin looks good too.

tankas 14th March 2019 01:18 PM

Test ride Ducati & Yamaha xsr700.

StarBoy 14th March 2019 05:17 PM

Rode one for a full day,really class little yoke. Ideal for what you want.

Mailiam 15th March 2019 11:51 PM

I’ve a Desert Sled for the past 2 years and I love it. I have a similar commute to you and use it every day. It’s perfect for what I want even though it only has 75 horses. Definitely try one if you can, I found the cafe racer too small for me but I love the extra height of the Sled. Rosso have a cafe racer at the moment that they may let you test ride?

I had the use of an 1100 a couple of times. It has nice touches like rider modes but not much extra power. I’ll be sticking with my Sled. Happy to try answer any questions you have.

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS