Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Insuring another person on my bike (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=247951)

sub zero 12th March 2019 05:35 PM

Insuring another person on my bike

How's it going lads.

Just wanted to ask a quick question about insurance and putting someone else on your policy.

My brother is coming home from the UK for a few days but has no way of getting around so I said I'd try put him on my bike policy. I rang CN last week just to see if it was possible and they raised no red flags and told me how much it would cost. Fast forward to this evening and rang the fuckers to pay the charge and now they tell me they won't cover him - that he has to be resident here for 6 months of the year!

My question is - is there any of the other insurers that would allow this or do they all have the same attitude?

Thanks

efanton 12th March 2019 07:57 PM

Re: Insuring another person on my bike

Does he have his own motorcycle insurance in the UK?

Might be easier for him to temporarily put your bike on his insurance.

jp biker 12th March 2019 07:58 PM

A leap card is a good option
Or a bicycle

sub zero 12th March 2019 08:10 PM

[quote=efanton;3566795]Does he have his own motorcycle insurance in the UK?

Might be easier for him to temporarily put your bike on his insurance.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. No he had to get rid of his bike a while ago so no insurance at the minute unfortunately. It's a pain in the hole really - I don't know what difference it makes if he's resident here or not to be honest.

Do the rest of the insurance companies here have the same rule?

kwackquack 13th March 2019 08:47 AM

Can he not just take out a new policy in his own name and cancel within the 2 week period?
Obviously pick a different insurance company than yours and just let him use your address

shanec 13th March 2019 11:40 AM

[quote=kwackquack;3566818]Can he not just take out a new policy in his own name and cancel within the 2 week period?
Obviously pick a different insurance company than yours and just let him use your address[/quote]

Won't he have to own the bike to insure it?
Sound like poppy cock but maybe this is the start of the fallout from Brexit. We're all doomed>>>>>>>>>>>

crispy 13th March 2019 02:05 PM

[quote=sub zero;3566789]How's it going lads.

Just wanted to ask a quick question about insurance and putting someone else on your policy.

My brother is coming home from the UK for a few days but has no way of getting around so I said I'd try put him on my bike policy. I rang CN last week just to see if it was possible and they raised no red flags and told me how much it would cost. Fast forward to this evening and rang the fuckers to pay the charge and now they tell me they won't cover him - that he has to be resident here for 6 months of the year!

My question is - is there any of the other insurers that would allow this or do they all have the same attitude?

Thanks[/quote]

Don't know about bike insurance but I had to rent a car last month and found this place to be the cheapest. 28 for a fiesta for a week from Dublin Airport.

[url]https://www.jetcost.ie/car-rental/[/url]

me2 13th March 2019 06:22 PM

[quote=shanec;3566828]Won't he have to own the bike to insure it?
Sound like poppy cock but maybe this is the start of the fallout from Brexit. We're all doomed>>>>>>>>>>>[/quote]
Once had cage insurance policy which also insured me on third party owned motorcycles - within given capacity limitations.

shanec 14th March 2019 09:24 AM

[quote=me2;3566880]Once had cage insurance policy which also insured me on third party owned motorcycles - within given capacity limitations.[/quote]

A cage policy that also covers motorcycles? that's new to me.
What company was that?
Did they also insure bikes?

allsorts&oddjobs 14th March 2019 09:35 AM

[quote=sub zero;3566789]How's it going lads.

Thanks[/quote]

dunno about insurance but maybe look at hiring a bike? about 120euro a day afaik for a royal enfield from sprockets and hubs in Adare.

me2 14th March 2019 11:34 AM

[quote=shanec;3566923]A cage policy that also covers motorcycles? that's new to me.
What company was that?
Did they also insure bikes?[/quote]

Ford Direct were the insurers, Norwich Union were their underwriters.

I had to move when the next cage wasn't a Ford.

Taraxius 15th March 2019 11:39 PM

[quote=shanec;3566923]A cage policy that also covers motorcycles? that's new to me.
What company was that?
Did they also insure bikes?[/quote]

Liberty offer a discount, altho its still considered a second policy

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS