Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Instrument cluster/ clocks repair (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=249483)

Honda boi 10th August 2019 05:32 PM

Instrument cluster/ clocks repair

Have an 02 gsx 1400.
The Speedo and rev counter not working, and the odometer doesn't show anything,just flashing lines.
The fuel gauge,back lights,all lights(neutral ,oil,full beam) work.
Clocks do a sweep when turning the key.
Pulled the wiring harness out thinking one of the cables got spliced while it was sitting out but nope all good.
Then got in touch with the previous owner and he said it didn't work for him when he used it last .
So I need to replace or fix.
Replace is hard as not many of them around breaking.
Repairing these hard? Thinking of trying it myself, if all goes wrong where could repair these?
Thanks.

Unfazed 10th August 2019 05:40 PM

Re: Instrument cluster/ clocks repair

Could late model Bandit 1200 clocks be modified to fit, loads of them around

Honda boi 13th August 2019 10:51 AM

[quote=Unfazed;3577785]Could late model Bandit 1200 clocks be modified to fit, loads of them around[/quote]

Had a look at them.
Look fairly identical but I wouldn't be sure on how to modify it to fit.
Took mine apart and gave it a good clean,nothing looked damaged. But still doesn't work!

vroombandit 14th August 2019 09:42 PM

Google smart-tech-services.co.uk. He may be able to help you sort out the original clocks.

efanton 14th August 2019 11:09 PM

you sure its not the speed sensor?

More likely to be the fault than the speedo or rev counter, especially as everything else on the instrument panel is working

Honda boi 14th August 2019 11:48 PM

[QUOTE=vroombandit;3578048]Google smart-tech-services.co.uk. He may be able to help you sort out the original clocks.[/QUOTE]

Sweet I'll look into them.

Honda boi 14th August 2019 11:50 PM

[QUOTE=efanton;3578058]you sure its not the speed sensor?

More likely to be the fault than the speedo or rev counter, especially as everything else on the instrument panel is working[/QUOTE]

I originally thought that.
But with my limited knowledge I can't see the speed sensor having anything to do with the rev counter or odometer?

Unfazed 15th August 2019 04:32 PM

It may be possible because of the clocks similariry to the bandit to be able to swap the inners

DavyH 15th August 2019 08:05 PM

Any signs of accident damage on them,might be worth opening them up and seeing if there’s any obvious damaged components...I’m not even sure if you’ll get away with using an aftermarket set like Koso without having some kind of issues,the diagnostics and tps calibration is ran through them. Is that even working when you short the diag connector?

Bearing all that in mind,are you sure there’s not a bad contact somewhere along the line that might be causing it? Get yourself a wiring diagram would be the best bet

HEATZ 15th August 2019 08:55 PM

[url]http://gsx1400owners.org/wp/[/url]

if you want to bring your clocks down to me ill plug em into my 1400 at least then you will know if its the clocks themselves or something in the loom ect

vroombandit 15th August 2019 10:24 PM

Just saw an ad on DoneDeal for speedo repair, some crowd called O C Digital. Canít vouch for them but surely worth a call.

Gixxer 15th August 2019 11:04 PM

[QUOTE=vroombandit;3578103]Just saw an ad on DoneDeal for speedo repair, some crowd called O C Digital. Can’t vouch for them but surely worth a call.[/QUOTE]

I think their 'repair' department consists of a laptop to make your bike 'langer mint' again. They 'adjust' your mileage to suit your needs. I don't think they do anything that resembles repairs.

Yup... found their ad...
[quote]we can repair your mileage to the proper desired mileage on your motor cycle [/quote]

vroombandit 15th August 2019 11:44 PM

[QUOTE=Gixxer;3578104]I think their 'repair' department consists of a laptop to make your bike 'langer mint' again. They 'adjust' your mileage to suit your needs. I don't think they do anything that resembles repairs.

Yup... found their ad...[/QUOTE]

If you look at their ads in their showroom, they also offer dash repair where the display is no longer visible- definitely worth a call.

Honda boi 16th August 2019 12:37 AM

[QUOTE=HEATZ;3578098][url]http://gsx1400owners.org/wp/[/url]

if you want to bring your clocks down to me ill plug em into my 1400 at least then you will know if its the clocks themselves or something in the loom ect[/QUOTE]

That would be great. Don't see many 1400's around so never thought I'd find one to test the clocks with!
Throw me a text/WhatsApp.
0 eight 5 one 8 one 3 eight 4 three

Honda boi 16th August 2019 12:40 AM

[QUOTE=DavyH;3578096]Any signs of accident damage on them,might be worth opening them up and seeing if thereís any obvious damaged components...Iím not even sure if youíll get away with using an aftermarket set like Koso without having some kind of issues,the diagnostics and tps calibration is ran through them. Is that even working when you short the diag connector?

Bearing all that in mind,are you sure thereís not a bad contact somewhere along the line that might be causing it? Get yourself a wiring diagram would be the best bet[/QUOTE]

No signs of any damage.
Opened the clocks up cleaned and checked everything and no signs of any damage.
So stumped.
Have the Haynes manual with the wiring diagram , checked continuity on all cables and all good.
Even had the wiring harness out to make sure ,and all good.