Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Working on the bike (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=249476)

Syllabus 10th August 2019 01:56 AM

Working on the bike

Even though I'm a mechanic by trade (not hands on for a good while) the sense of accomplishment from working on the bike is amazing.
New rear shock done! Popping noise from the engine sorted(turned out to be a loose plug and plug lead. New plugs done. New grips, new mirrors, fix sticking rear brake, done. Repair damaged panels and repaint, done.

I never get sick of this!!!!!

CodeJACK 10th August 2019 01:59 AM

Re: Working on the bike

Fair play. Im not the best at it myself but I do love giving anything a go and figuring it out :thumbsup2:

joe williams 10th August 2019 03:07 AM

Its what its about for me , always need a project.

iano 10th August 2019 08:04 AM

Feel the same
Although the vmax is fighting me tbh

Japcati 10th August 2019 08:37 AM

Well I saved th guts of 200 euro just by buying service parts for the Varadero online.
Fitted new discs and pads last night in the garage.
Allmost therapeutic....

faz1 10th August 2019 05:51 PM

Make sure you have a good vice grip and a fresh tube of tec-7 always in the box :smileee:

me2 10th August 2019 06:14 PM

[quote=faz1;3577787]Make sure you have a good vice grip and a fresh tube of tec-7 always in the box :smileee:[/quote]
might also need gaffa tape and bailing twine in that box.

:lbhbh:

cbroar 10th August 2019 10:34 PM

Fairplay, hopefully that shock will transform the bike.

johnny b 10th August 2019 11:47 PM

It's all therapy until the shit hits the fan!
I've made every cock up in the book and then some at some stage!
Great for learning but some amount of wasted hours trying to come up with solutions!

I usually end up buying tools when I get stuck... It's a great way to justify power tools or fancy torque wrenches.

Rockster 11th August 2019 08:53 AM

Its what u tube was invented for, there is a tutorial out there for most things. The trick is to know when you're beat and have to bring it to the professionals...

Holy Moly 11th August 2019 09:27 AM

Agreed, being successful working on your bike is very satisfying. But getting elbow deep and resolving the family cage issues has given me bigger smugness. Getting main dealer prices for stuff and then completing the job at 30% the cost - and done better is chest beating stuff. Saved 2k on one job alone on Mrs Moly's unmentionable, took 6 hrs and a soldering iron - YouTube rules !

madpat 11th August 2019 04:31 PM

[quote=me2;3577788]might also need gaffa tape and bailing twine in that box.

:lbhbh:[/quote]

Do't forget the barred wire

DavyH 11th August 2019 06:02 PM

Fjr’s are always satisfying to work on,they are designed well and built to last

Syllabus 11th August 2019 09:12 PM

[quote=cbroar;3577796]Fairplay, hopefully that shock will transform the bike.[/quote]

It's sitting higher that's for sure!!! Cheers

RobbieBeGood 11th August 2019 11:02 PM

If you enjoy it that much, please feel free and do mine would you? I've a pain in my arse fixing them at this point!

RTV 12th August 2019 07:58 AM

[quote=Syllabus;3577762]
I never get sick of this!!!!![/quote]

Oh, you will get sick of it once you start hitting rusted bolts that split flush in the most impossible places :lbhbh:

But yeah, nothing like working on your own stuff!

Now, be aware that there's no such thing as "that's a 30' job". It'll quickly turn into 4 weeks project waiting for parts, tools, heads scratching, adult language and a pint or two to calm the nerves. :bikerie:

renniks 12th August 2019 09:24 AM

[quote=Rockster;3577802]Its what u tube was invented for, there is a tutorial out there for most things. The trick is to know when you're beat and have to bring it to the professionals...[/quote]

The trick is being able to spot those on youtube who know what they are at, and not the bullshit artists (eg: Delboy's Garage). Hard to do if you don't have the knowledge in the first place

My First Suzuki 12th August 2019 12:40 PM

I love tinkering with my two old crocks. It's a great sense of achievement when I find something wrong & I fix it myself. That's one reason why I keep my classics small, a single & a twin. Too many bits on a triple or a four for my liking. Most of the work done on the Varadero goes to Lee Honda, though. The bike is too physically big for me to manhandle with only one functioning arm.