Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Tour De France! (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=249105)

johnny b 10th July 2019 06:12 PM

Tour De France!

I'd always watch a bit of the race and am always intrigued by the motorbikes they use for the marshals, police, cameramen, wheel replacement bikes (mavic) and timekeepers etc.

Over the years there have been a lot of bikes like Fjrs, Rt's, pan's, old bmw Ks were still used to recently, transalp, aprilia pegaso, kwak versus and Gixers favourite Gs to name a few.

This year there are a HUGE amount of Yamaha Nikon 3 wheelers.
Most of the Cameramen and puncture support guys are on them plus the time keepers.

Most people were scepticle of the Yamaha Nikon but it seems it's found a good market for two up marshalling. It certainly seems to make sense for filming live sport.
A lot of people suggested it could be good for disabled riders but very few thought it would be a great bike to cover events like this.

I'd love a go on one.
Has anyone been on one?

The Road Runner 10th July 2019 06:43 PM

Re: Tour De France!

[QUOTE=johnny b;3575825]I'd always watch a bit of the race and am always intrigued by the motorbikes they use for the marshals, police, cameramen, wheel replacement bikes (mavic) and timekeepers etc.

Over the years there have been a lot of bikes like Fjrs, Rt's, pan's, old bmw Ks were still used to recently, transalp, aprilia pegaso, kwak versus and Gixers favourite Gs to name a few.

This year there are a HUGE amount of Yamaha Nikon 3 wheelers.
Most of the Cameramen and puncture support guys are on them plus the time keepers.

Most people were scepticle of the Yamaha Nikon but it seems it's found a good market for two up marshalling. It certainly seems to make sense for filming live sport.
A lot of people suggested it could be good for disabled riders but very few thought it would be a great bike to cover events like this.
[B]
I'd love a go on one. [/B]
Has anyone been on one?[/QUOTE]

Just head up to Charles Hursts Belfast......They probably have a demo on at the moment.......just phone ahead to confirm...:thumbsup2:

biker.fakey 10th July 2019 09:11 PM

[url]https://youtu.be/jEAEI3VEReQ[/url]

Good review here

oretom 11th July 2019 10:05 AM

sounds like a lot of fun to me

renniks 11th July 2019 10:30 AM

Can you drive one on a bike license or do you need a durty cage license?

positron 11th July 2019 11:50 AM

It looks deadly. What's the benefit though, what does having two front wheels bring to a bike? I don't see anyone riding two front wheeled pedal bikes, so I guess it's unnecessary from a 'how things work' point of view, and bad from a efficiency point of view?

renniks 11th July 2019 12:43 PM

Perhaps not so good for disabled riders:
"The Niken GT will tip over, so you do have to balance it at slow speeds and when stopped. That steering mechanism allows for 45 degrees of lean, so the Niken GT will fall on its side, just as a two-wheel motorcycle will. Balance, albeit less of it, is required at low speeds, and you do have to put a foot down at stops to hold it up. It’s a reminder that you are on a motorcycle with two front wheels, rather than a traditional trike."

[URL="https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/03/27/2019-yamaha-niken-gt-review-21-fast-facts/"]https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/03/27/2019-yamaha-niken-gt-review-21-fast-facts/[/URL]

SoulX 11th July 2019 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=renniks;3575851]Can you drive one on a bike license or do you need a durty cage license?[/QUOTE]

I'd imagine most people would prefer being able to ride it with a cage licence
thus avoiding all the cbt bollox.I don't know much about regs around trikes in
this country,or even if there are any,but afaik there's a min distance required
between the wheels to be classed as a trike and that doesn't look like enough.
So at a guess I reckon it's a bike from a legal standpoint.

pedrosixfour 11th July 2019 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=positron;3575856]It looks deadly. What's the benefit though, what does having two front wheels bring to a bike? I don't see anyone riding two front wheeled pedal bikes, so I guess it's unnecessary from a 'how things work' point of view, and bad from a efficiency point of view?[/QUOTE]

I would imagine that it is all about front-end grip and therefore front-end confidence. The Niken has to have more of a contact patch between the front tyres and the road. I won't say twice the patch because I doubt that is the case unless tyre pressure is way different than a conventional bike.

It would mean though that if one wheel loses traction, for whatever reason, there is a good chance that the other wheel might be unaffected by the same condition. And even if it does, the inherent stability of two front wheels might see you through the episode unscathed.

renniks 11th July 2019 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=pedrosixfour;3575864]
It would mean though that if one wheel loses traction, for whatever reason, there is a good chance that the other wheel might be unaffected by the same condition. And even if it does, the inherent stability of two front wheels might see you through the episode unscathed.[/QUOTE]

From the linky I posted above:

"There are limits to what the 2019 Yamaha Niken GT can do, though how it responds exceeding the limits is impressive. I threw the Niken GT into a wet corner coated with leaves and moss at a speed far higher than I should have. Had I been on a motorcycle with a single front wheel, I would have instantly fallen, without any question. On the Niken GT, I sent all three wheels into a slide. Typically, that would be alarming. However, the feel was like an automobile sliding across a corner. Although all three wheels lost traction, at no time did I feel that I was going to fall. Once through the turn, the Niken GT hooked up without a hiccup, and I was headed in the right direction."

DavyH 11th July 2019 06:52 PM

You need a bike licence for them. They’re fun,and they’ll hold a wheelie in second but it’s a heavy bastard...looks much better in GT trim. Useless for commuting

-alan- 12th July 2019 01:24 PM

Haven't watched all of the vid - but I think the gist of it is that the Niken is easier to ride hard because whilst the absolute level of grip at the front aint that much different from a single wheel, it breaks away much more smoothly and progressively.

Sounds in practice like when one wheel loses it, the other holds on a little longer and gives you a much better chance of getting away with a front-end slide than a sudden off.

Wonder if/when they'll bring a proper feet-forward version with full bodywork for commuting or long distance touring ?