Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Motorbikes (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   vintage bike vrt rules (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=248985)

huzz 28th June 2019 11:34 PM

vintage bike vrt rules

friend went to register a 1981 bike today with a vjmc dating cert and was told it was not acceptable any more,(new rules apparently in from yesterday by revenue)bike has no reg or logbook but I registered a bike only a few weeks ago with only a dating cert,does anyone have any info regarding vrt rule changes if any ?

VJMC 29th June 2019 08:52 PM

Re: vintage bike vrt rules

Wow, news t me, please keep the club updated, to the best of my knowledge this is new and is of concern. The club has helped out a few hundred people at this stage with no issues. Thanks let us know of any developments, I will look into it also :thumbsup2:

chopper 30th June 2019 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=huzz;3575146]friend went to register a 1981 bike today with a vjmc dating cert and was told it was not acceptable any more,(new rules apparently in from yesterday by revenue)bike has no reg or logbook but I registered a bike only a few weeks ago with only a dating cert,does anyone have any info regarding vrt rule changes if any ?[/QUOTE]
Any idea what is acceptable?

huzz 30th June 2019 09:06 PM

I vrt'd 2 vintage bikes about 1 month ago,had id (drivers license),utility bill no older than 3 months,hand written receipt as bike bought privately,relevant form VRTPD2 filled in,dating cert from VJMC as no reg or any paperwork with bikes and no problem,now registered and taxed and in use.

Gas Gas 30th June 2019 11:28 PM

Did the bikes have indicators failed one on me recently as bike had no indicators.

huzz 1st July 2019 02:52 PM

Yes,bike had working indicators,lights etc,also starting and running

custom900 1st July 2019 03:58 PM

If they have indicators they must be working, but there is no requirement for indicators on a motorcycle.

renniks 1st July 2019 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=custom900;3575340]If they have indicators they must be working, but there is no requirement for indicators on a motorcycle.[/QUOTE]

if they were never fitted from new afaik?
I know old Vespas never had em back in the day, and so don't need em, but you can't go removing indicators from any modern bike & think it is legal

Gas Gas 14th August 2019 04:33 PM

This is what I received when I asked whether indicators are required.
Looks like I will have to fit them if I want to vrt the bike even though indicators were never fitted from new.

The Road Traffic Regulations 1963 is that all vehicles on the public road must have direction indicators.

(2) (a) Sufficient direction indicators shall be so fitted to every vehicle and every combination of vehicles at all times while such vehicle or combination of vehicles is in use in a public place as to enable the driver in the normal course of traffic to give adequate signals in good time to other traffic of his intention to change the direction of the vehicle or combination of vehicles to the left or to the right, and in the fitting of direction indicators regard shall be had in particular to the width and length of the vehicle or combination

NCT staff work under their own guidelines ensuring all vehicles conform with the standards set down by the government in the Irish Statute Book.

NCT would deem it "normal" to expect to find indicators on road going vehicles of that age.

Gixxer 14th August 2019 05:54 PM

[QUOTE=Gas Gas;3578026]This is what I received when I asked whether indicators are required.
Looks like I will have to fit them if I want to vrt the bike even though indicators were never fitted from new.

The Road Traffic Regulations 1963 is that all vehicles on the public road must have direction indicators.

(2) (a) Sufficient direction indicators shall be so fitted to every vehicle and every combination of vehicles at all times while such vehicle or combination of vehicles is in use in a public place as to enable the driver in the normal course of traffic to give adequate signals in good time to other traffic of his intention to change the direction of the vehicle or combination of vehicles to the left or to the right, and in the fitting of direction indicators regard shall be had in particular to the width and length of the vehicle or combination

NCT staff work under their own guidelines ensuring all vehicles conform with the standards set down by the government in the Irish Statute Book.

NCT would deem it "normal" to expect to find indicators on road going vehicles of that age.[/QUOTE]
Unless the law has changed lately, bikes aren't required to have indicators.

vifferman 14th August 2019 10:10 PM

[QUOTE=Gas Gas;3578026]This is what I received when I asked whether indicators are required.

NCT would deem it "normal" to expect to find indicators on road going vehicles of that age.[/QUOTE]

They are WRONG. Section 2 does not apply to bikes. It's covered in section 3 and there's nothing in that section about indicators. It might be amended in later legislation for later years, but cannot be retrospective. So if the bike didn't have indicators when new, it doesn't require them now.

Part III
OBLIGATORY LIGHTING OF MECHANICALLY PROPELLED CYCLES AND IN VALID CARRIAGES.

Definition:
"mechanically propelled cycle" means a mechanically propelled vehicle, other than an invalid carriage, with less than four wheels and the weight unladen of which does not exceed 8 cwt.;

renniks 15th August 2019 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=Gixxer;3578035]Unless the law has changed lately, bikes aren't required to have indicators.[/QUOTE]

[I]if[/I] they never had them from the factory