Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Getting back on the road (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=248779)

Road warrior 9th June 2019 10:31 PM

Getting back on the road

Mortgage sorted, have the green light to get a bike again. The commute to work is about a 70 mile round trip and the hips arent what they used to be. Im thinking about something upright for the commute to work like a tracer or a versys any other options I should consider? Budget is 7-8k

chopper 9th June 2019 11:01 PM

Re: Getting back on the road

Tiger800 are nice and upright

thecrutch 9th June 2019 11:01 PM

tigersport 1050
have mine since 2014, 60k on it, no hassle with it, easy to run, all day comfy

vfr800x, really good bike, under rated, they are good value too

there is loads of choice

Road warrior 9th June 2019 11:19 PM

Hadn't considered a triumph, would the 1050 be on a par with the other 2?

tankas 10th June 2019 06:37 AM

Crossrunner VFR800X, 1st thing i missed after switching from it to a Tracer was the combined brakes. And then V4 engine noise. If you are coming from the inline4 background and love em, you should seriously consider crossrunner. I prefer v-twins, so that's why made the switch. It's the middle ground between these two.
VFR felt more comfortable and built for longer runs, Tracer just mental big supermoto, living on the knives edge. But I have the MY15-16 model, later it also got more civilised.

ENGLISH 10th June 2019 08:29 AM

Big Scooter

Frankkilty 10th June 2019 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=ENGLISH;3573640]Big Scooter[/QUOTE]

I was going to suggest the same. The bigger ones are no slouches. Lots of storage, good weather protection and easy to mount with older hips.

RTV 10th June 2019 09:24 AM

[QUOTE=Road warrior;3573620]Mortgage sorted, have the green light to get a bike again. The commute to work is about a 70 mile round trip and the hips arent what they used to be. Im thinking about something upright for the commute to work like a tracer or a versys any other options I should consider? Budget is 7-8k[/QUOTE]

Got a lovely MT09 up in the for sale section if you're interested. Very comfy upright position and loads of fun to be had. Also, locally in Cork for ye.

Let me know if you're interested.

Hells Satans 10th June 2019 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=Road warrior;3573620]Mortgage sorted, have the green light to get a bike again. The commute to work is about a 70 mile round trip and the hips arent what they used to be. Im thinking about something upright for the commute to work like a tracer or a versys any other options I should consider? Budget is 7-8k[/QUOTE]

BMW S1000XR, have mine over a year and a half and I love it, great riding position and very comfortable plus more than enough power than you will ever need

blk150 10th June 2019 01:17 PM

Dl650

positron 10th June 2019 02:27 PM

70 miles five days a week? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but speaking from experience, that is going to get real tiring real soon!

I am doing similar commute for last 10+ years, although lately work allows me to WFH 2-3 days a week (I just can't ride like that 3 constitutive days any more, not on M50).

My only suggestion would be to not to focus on the motorbiking press/forum buzz words of "sport", "cornering" etc and focus on words like comfort, reliability and "easy to maintain". I ran a FZS600 for years, got sick of oiling the chain, and upgraded F800GT for it's belt drive. I would strongly recommend belt/shaft bikes. And not a trans-continental-sofa either if you need to filter often.

ENGLISH 10th June 2019 02:53 PM

Last Friday I witnessed two lads on big HDs - Yellow regs - on M50 staying in lane behind the usual very heavy traffic.

One had a pillion and was wobbling all over the place at 5 kph for miles. Stop- Go- Stop. Never out of first gear.

It looked like torture.

Big Scooter is the answer for commuting around Dublin , at least - easier to filter - no gears - no clutch - laid back - weather protected - dual brakes ( some with ABS ) storage space - rain aprons - comfy.

GoTilUBlow 10th June 2019 03:32 PM

Tracers are tiring on motorway journeys, bad screen and badly affected by wind and other vehicles, also the tiny tank empties far too soon.

tankas 10th June 2019 05:32 PM

Yeap, I'm also joining the big scooter bandwagon, I've already been living for over 6 years just with two wheels, even owned a piaggio typhoon 125cc 2t for a while and can see huge pluses in maintenance, storage space, costs...

kwackquack 10th June 2019 05:38 PM

Have hip replacements and get a Gsxr1000 :lbhbh:

Doolittle 10th June 2019 05:50 PM

Early models of the CRF1000 Africa Twin starting to be in your budget

SoulX 10th June 2019 05:55 PM

I know a guy who bought a Versys 1000 a while back and he reckons it's the best bike he ever had.

Road warrior 10th June 2019 07:05 PM

I did the same commute on my transalp for a good while so I'm well aware of whats involved something with a bit more oomph would be great though. I don't think a scooter will work because is from a fairly remote area into the city. There's no motorway just a short bit on the ballincollig bypass.

Road warrior 10th June 2019 07:06 PM

[QUOTE=kwackquack;3573695]Have hip replacements and get a Gsxr1000 :lbhbh:[/QUOTE]

I'm after 2 hip artroscopies and replacements are looming! It was painful on my zx10 but I really miss that bike!

Road warrior 10th June 2019 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=SoulX;3573700]I know a guy who bought a Versys 1000 a while back and he reckons it's the best bike he ever had.[/QUOTE]

Was looking at them trying to see if the budget can stretch to the 2nd gen not gone on the look of the 1st one.

RobbieBeGood 10th June 2019 08:07 PM

The Tracer 900's handling is somewhat lacking. Allow plenty of room for mid corner understeer. Versys 650 is the most reliable bike I've owned but can be a bit of a slog on motorways.

kawasixxer 10th June 2019 08:07 PM

[QUOTE=Road warrior;3573706]I'm after 2 hip artroscopies and replacements are looming! It was painful on my zx10 but I really miss that bike![/QUOTE]

Get a zx10r and put straight bars on it :lbhbh:

Frankkilty 10th June 2019 08:20 PM

I think you will find a 650 burg is more than capable

Road warrior 10th June 2019 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=kawasixxer;3573714]Get a zx10r and put straight bars on it :lbhbh:[/QUOTE]

Sacrilege!!!
I do remember PB a few years back where one of the features was a zx10 supermoto conversion :woots:

Road warrior 10th June 2019 08:32 PM

[QUOTE=Frankkilty;3573717]I think you will find a 650 burg is more than capable[/QUOTE]

Tbh I'll have to try one out last scooter I had was a knackered old sr50 donkeys years ago

jimd10 16th June 2019 06:46 PM

Pan European 1100 .legendary reliability, shaft drive, armchair comfort, great weather protection, plenty of options for luggage and no slouch either. 23 liter tank gives massive range. Most maintainance tasks you can perform yourself.