Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Automatic renewal (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=248690)

mope_head 1st June 2019 10:40 PM

Automatic renewal

So I rang on the day my insurance was due to run out and was told it had already been auto-renewed. Grand, I was a bit lazy about ringing etc.. but now I'm thinking... how can they keep my bank details from the previous year? I only ever pay for the year by debit card. Do they not need permission to keep your details? Whats your thoughts? Is this the norm?

Trotter Independent Trading 1st June 2019 10:48 PM

Re: Automatic renewal

Id hazard a guess that in the small print somewhere it stated theyd keep your details on file for your convenience blah blah blah sign here :thumbsup2:

Gixxer 1st June 2019 11:04 PM

Phone around. Get it cheaper. Cancel the existing policy.

RobbieBeGood 1st June 2019 11:23 PM

Insurance companies (like any company) exist to make a profit. Services such as automatic renewal are more about increasing profits than providing good customer service.
Automatic renewals are specifically designed to deter you from comparing prices elsewhere. However they must notify you of their intention to automatically renew and somewhere in the blurb that comes with your contract you'll find it. (not contained in the contract itself)
Carol Nash are guilty of this unethical behaviour. Ring them and categorically deny them permission. You won't be bothered again.

marktspud 1st June 2019 11:31 PM

Yep this happened me.. Rang them and said I wasn't happy with auto renewal..told them to remove auto renewal and received 100 back on premium. Yep its just a clever tactic to keep you from trawling market etc.. Sneaky

bandit_eile 2nd June 2019 10:25 AM

You usually have 2 weeks to cancel

Jaded 2nd June 2019 10:57 PM

[QUOTE=RobbieBeGood;3573164]Insurance companies (like any company) exist to make a profit. Services such as automatic renewal are more about increasing profits than providing good custom
Carol Nash are guilty of this unethical behaviour. Ring them and categorically deny them permission. You won't be bothered again.[/QUOTE]

Ya will .nash has tried it the last 3 years with me .said it in the renewal letter .each year I've rang to be taken off and the year after they still try it ..the difference in price was over 80 euro too between the auto renual and actual price

My First Suzuki 3rd June 2019 06:22 PM

[QUOTE=Jaded;3573220]Ya will .nash has tried it the last 3 years with me .said it in the renewal letter .each year I've rang to be taken off and the year after they still try it ..the difference in price was over 80 euro too between the auto renual and actual price[/QUOTE]

Same with me & CN. They ask me every year & I say "NO" every year. That way I get to haggle a bit & beat them down a few bob :thumbsup2:

bandittom 3rd June 2019 11:34 PM

Whoever you are insured with tell them before you pay them that you don't want auto-renewal on your policy the following year as it is a rip off.

mope_head 11th June 2019 07:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. It was CN i used. Not impressed with their customer service, so will definitely try harder next year to use another company.