Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (http://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How Often do you Wax (http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=242189)

Luki 13th February 2018 09:24 AM

How Often do you Wax

I swapped to wd40 chain wax on my bike. How often should I apply this? I've a daily 20km total commute Monday to Friday. Is once a month enough or should I be putting a bit on every weekend. Also it seems to take a couple of rides to work into the chain. In the interim its like a heavy coating. Am I putting too much on?

Irish Mav 13th February 2018 12:06 PM

Re: How Often do you Wax

With wax I find it's actually quite important to make sure the chain is warm before you put it on, go for a spin before you clean and wax it. Will help it soak in. As for too much without pictures I can't comment but any excess will be flung off anyway. Just be careful as it's slippy stuff. How often depends on roads, rain etc. But just keep am eye. When it's a bit grubby just do it again. May be every other week or may be once a month.

RTV 13th February 2018 12:24 PM

With the R6, I pretty much looked at the chain and proceeded to clean/wax whenever it was needed. I would say that it was normally about every two weeks, but I've done it in shorter spans if I was in mucky country roads.

Also depends on the time of the year, etc...

So my advise, don't do it on a fixed time table, do it as required. Takes a few minutes and it'll save you a lot of issues down the line.

Cheers,
Rami

manbearpig 13th February 2018 12:45 PM

Once a week- clean and wax . . . it's easy to forget if it's every second week. . . buy one of those 3 sided brushes, make it a doddle to clean

knightrider 13th February 2018 01:57 PM

I do it once a month, old grimey wax is still there, just end up cleaning it away so every month works for me

Holy Moly 13th February 2018 02:31 PM

When there's about 2mm stubble, I reach for the hot wax and rearview mirror :lbhbh:

me2 13th February 2018 03:27 PM

[quote=Holy Moly;3521409]When there's about 2mm stubble, I reach for the hot wax and rearview mirror :lbhbh:[/quote]If ya are waiting for questions about brazilian's keep holding yar breath ya durty hewer. :lbhbh:

Always liked to run the bike directly after applying that shit to the chain, recon it penetrated the links before it set.

faz1 13th February 2018 07:37 PM

make sure you apply to inner run mainly and a bit on the side plates. No point in putting on the outside run of chain as it will tend not to work in - on inner run the centrif action sends it into chain pins.
Put a piece of newspaper against the tyre when applying so that none gets on the tyre sidewall.

My manual says check and lube the chain every 1000Kms or after washing or after riding in the rain. Personally I think that's too long an interval. I do it every 600 kms or so

Luki 14th February 2018 04:16 PM

[quote=faz1;3521464]My manual says check and lube the chain every 1000Kms or after washing or after riding in the rain. Personally [/quote]
I wonder does the manual writer own the chain and sprocket maker.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Confusion 14th February 2018 04:28 PM

[quote=faz1;3521464]......after riding in the rain....[/quote]

So that's every ten minutes :smileee:

I lube my chain with gear oil once a week, or every tank of fuel,
or after riding in heavy rain.

PADDYOT 14th February 2018 07:24 PM

[quote=RTV;3521376]

So my advise, don't do it on a fixed time table, [B]do it as required[/B]. Takes a few minutes and it'll save you a lot of issues down the line.

Cheers,
Rami[/quote]

Exactly, great advice. Road conditions change daily/weekly. Also, as said above, apply when chain is warm. :thumbsup2:

Wesifumi 14th February 2018 09:07 PM

Depends, is she actually going to lick my balls or was she just teasing. Is the itch reward ratio worth it?

faz1 16th February 2018 01:04 AM

[quote=Luki;3521586]I wonder does the manual writer own the chain and sprocket maker.

Thanks for the advice guys.[/quote]

Don't think Yamaha are in the market of replacement chains and sprockets

faz1 16th February 2018 01:05 AM

[quote=Confusion;3521588]So that's every[B] ten minutes[/B] :smileee:

I lube my chain with gear oil once a week, or every tank of fuel,
or after riding in heavy rain.[/quote]

If you ride your bike for 10 minute journeys, then maybe?

goose81 20th February 2018 08:36 PM

What do you lads clean the chain wax off with?

Luki 21st February 2018 10:50 AM

Acceleration and rainwater.

manbearpig 21st February 2018 10:57 AM

[quote=goose81;3522432]What do you lads clean the chain wax off with?[/quote]

Kerosene and a 3 sided brush - 5 min job

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS