Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Fully Comp or Third Party? (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=248447)

GaryMunster 15th May 2019 01:41 PM

Fully Comp or Third Party?

I took out a policy with AXA 2 days ago. I got Fully comp insurance.

However, after thinking about it, I would never claim for the bike if I caused an accident as the bike is worth Ä3500. I would be bolloxed insuring anything else if I did.

I called AXA and they said I can swap down to Third Party Fire and Theft if I want.

Question is, am I missing anything obvious here??

shanec 15th May 2019 01:54 PM

Re: Fully Comp or Third Party?

the admin fee to change back may make this a futile exercise, unless there's a huge difference in price?

Are there specific benefits for comp. vs third party (does this include breakdown etc.)

Rainman 15th May 2019 01:56 PM

Breakdown is a biggie (for me anyway), if you're straying outside Ireland it's essential and generally comes with fully comp, but not third Party

GaryMunster 15th May 2019 02:14 PM

They said its free to change to it as the policy is new and I get all the same benefits like x4 free breakdown assists etc. I get 31 days EU travel also.

Its €380 Fully Comp and €272 Third party fire and theft. I know its not much but if I am paying an extra €100 for something i will never claim for, then what is the point?

I might leave it but it is interesting to hear what bikers thoughts are.

renniks 15th May 2019 02:40 PM

If there is no charge to do it, then it is worth doing - better €100 in your pocket

paudy 15th May 2019 03:10 PM

[QUOTE=GaryMunster;3571744]I took out a policy with AXA 2 days ago. I got Fully comp insurance.

However, after thinking about it, I would never claim for the bike if I caused an accident as the bike is worth Ä3500. I would be bolloxed insuring anything else if I did.

I called AXA and they said I can swap down to Third Party Fire and Theft if I want.

Question is, am I missing anything obvious here??[/QUOTE]

in the event of an accident the other party will almost definitely make a claim if its your fault so your insurance will be bollixed either way ( best case it will be claim pending for next renewal anyway), you may as well have the price of your bike included for the sake of 100 euro, plus it will cover some medical expenses

GaryMunster 15th May 2019 03:33 PM

[QUOTE=paudy;3571764]in the event of an accident the other party will almost definitely make a claim if its your fault so your insurance will be bollixed either way ( best case it will be claim pending for next renewal anyway), you may as well have the price of your bike included for the sake of 100 euro, plus it will cover some medical expenses[/QUOTE]

Thats a good point.

Cheers for all the responses, I'm going to leave it fully comp :bikerie:

oroura25 15th May 2019 03:44 PM

I got through to somebody on the AXA bike quote line and was asked if there were any modifications to the bike. She said that they wouldn't quote me because the bike had a non standard exhaust. I said sure that's ridiculous and she just said "ok". Lovely.

GaryMunster 15th May 2019 05:21 PM

[QUOTE=oroura25;3571771]I got through to somebody on the AXA bike quote line and was asked if there were any modifications to the bike. She said that they wouldn't quote me because the bike had a non standard exhaust. I said sure that's ridiculous and she just said "ok". Lovely.[/QUOTE]

I told them I have an aftermarket exhaust and it was fine.

I guess like most things in life, it depends on the person your dealing with.

Confusion 15th May 2019 06:26 PM

[QUOTE=GaryMunster;3571744]I took out a policy with AXA 2 days ago. I got Fully comp insurance. [/QUOTE]

Congrats on getting an affordable quote from AXA. When I look for
a quote, they are always 2-3 times the price of the other insurers.

[QUOTE]However, after thinking about it, I would never claim for the bike if I caused an accident as the bike is worth Ä3500. I would be bolloxed insuring anything else if I did.[/QUOTE]

There is little or no point in paying for cover when both
you and the insurer know you could never make a claim
for loss of the bike.

If you are in a collision with no other party involved, you
probably won't want to make a claim for loss or damage
to the bike.

As paudy says, if you are at fault and there is another party
involved, you will have a claim against your policy anyway,
so you may as well claim for your own bike as well.

[QUOTE]Question is, am I missing anything obvious here??[/QUOTE]

No.

I would stick with the policy you just bought. Consider
stepping down to TPFT or even third-party only next
year. You can put the few quid you save towards some
personal accident insurance insurance instead. Hopefully
you will never need to make a claim on this, but in the
worst case of death or serious injury, at least you or your
next of kin would be due a few grand.

Katanasteve 15th May 2019 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=GaryMunster;3571755]They said its free to change to it as the policy is new and I get all the same benefits like x4 free breakdown assists etc. I get 31 days EU travel also.

Its Ä380 Fully Comp and Ä272 Third party fire and theft. I know its not much but if I am paying an extra Ä100 for something i will never claim for, then what is the point?

I might leave it but it is interesting to hear what bikers thoughts are.[/QUOTE]

I use to get fully comp in all my policies then I was looking at the price and I was insuring fully comp bikes worth a grand. Fully comp on 3500 bike is good idea.

efanton 15th May 2019 08:07 PM

[QUOTE=paudy;3571764]in the event of an accident the other party will almost definitely make a claim if its your fault so your insurance will be bollixed either way ( best case it will be claim pending for next renewal anyway), you may as well have the price of your bike included for the sake of 100 euro, plus it will cover some medical expenses[/QUOTE]

This ^^^

You might never make a claim, but someone else might. So if that happens and you have 3rd party, you are still going to get hammered by the insurance company the next time you insure, and will still end up repairing your bike or replacing it. What would €100 cover for any kind of repair to your own bike?

It would be a different matter if the difference was €400 or €500 between 3rd party and fully comp. Depending on the value of the bike it might be worth taking a chance on 3rd party.

The way they have their premiums set up in this country its hardly ever worth going 3rd party only. The difference is generally so small that its not to your benefit, and the skeptic in me thinks the insurance companies know damn well what they are doing over pricing the 3rd party deliberately so that most people will go fully comp.
When I was in the UK 3rd party was always less than half the cost of fully comp and it made sense to use it if your bike was just a run about, mind you thats was 20 odd years ago, the insurance companies might be playing the same game with their customers there too now.

DavyH 15th May 2019 11:35 PM

Iíd never have 3rd party on any vehicle again,if you do have a mishap it could leave you fucked weather it was or wasnít your fault. Say it wasnít your fault,if itís your only bike you could be left for months without transport before liability is accepted. If thatís the case your own insurance will pay out for your personal property and chase the other partyís insurance for whatever was agreed!

Say it was your fault,your premium is going up anyway but at least you wonít be down a bike...even if itís only a cheap yoke,itís the difference between having something to get about on and not.

Gixxer 15th May 2019 11:55 PM

If it's only 100 quid difference, I'd keep it. It makes no sense not to.

bandittom 16th May 2019 12:08 AM

Keep the Fully comp insurance.

GaryMunster 16th May 2019 10:07 AM

Cheers for the input lads. I am going to leave it fully comp:thumbsup2:

The comb over kid 18th May 2019 12:22 AM

Either way, once you have a good solicitor thats the main thing:ninja::bikerie:

Jack stowage 18th May 2019 09:55 AM

Third party all the way..in 3 years you'll have a free year...:smileee:

Black Rabbit 18th May 2019 01:34 PM

The most expensive insurance is the one you haven't got.

shiver 18th May 2019 04:44 PM

i only think this,not 100% sure...

with full comprehensive it covers you to drive someone else's bike 3rd party fire and theft

if you insure your bike as 3rd party fire and theft then you are not covered to drive someone else's bike at all...

can anyone clarify this ????????

woodsman 18th May 2019 04:59 PM

[QUOTE=shiver;3572077]i only think this,not 100% sure...

with full comprehensive it covers you to drive someone else's bike 3rd party fire and theft

if you insure your bike as 3rd party fire and theft then you are not covered to drive someone else's bike at all...

can anyone clarify this ????????[/QUOTE]

I think you are correct.:thumbsup2:

Airmax95 18th May 2019 06:48 PM

can anyone clarify this ????????[/QUOTE]

Iím insured TPFT on the SP1 and deffo have driving other bikes on my policy so maybe it varies from company to company
I made sure to ask the rep from Principle if I had it and he confirmed it o:thumbsup2:

Confusion 18th May 2019 07:06 PM

[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Not all policies are the same. Read the policy details
carefully.

[QUOTE]if you insure your bike as 3rd party fire and theft then you are not covered to drive someone else's bike at all...[/QUOTE]

I have a TPFT policy with Carole Nash underwritten by Ageas.
This policy includes other bikes on a third-party basis only.
It also includes breakdown cover and NCD protection.

My previous TPFT policy with Principal was underwritten by Zenith.
This also had other bike and breakdown cover included.

Last time I checked, the standard policy from Liberty did
not include other bike cover.

[QUOTE]can anyone clarify this ????????[/QUOTE]

Always check the small print. Your broker will send you the full
proposal form. Read it carefully. It is not unusual to find errors
or omissions. Read the policy details and booklet. Make
sure you know which vehicles, riders and type of use is covered.

Are you covered for commuting or business use?

Is pillion cover explicitly included?

Are there conditions attached to theft cover?
ie: bike stolen while left outside your home instead of in the garage.

Does other bike cover apply to "any motorcycle" or are there
capacity or power limits?