Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Go Pro or No? (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=248409)

motojojo 13th May 2019 06:14 PM

Go Pro or No?

Alright lads,

Had an unbelievable one riding home this afternoon. Flatbed truck in front of me going about 25 in a 50, as I go to overtake him 2 rubber speed bumps he was carrying slid off the side of the truck, landing in front of me. Brown trousers moment and would have been a challenging one to explain to the insurance company, "I got hit by a speed bump"..

Got me thinking about a camera for the bike. Have one for the car and besides a clip of a baby falling out of a buggy, it's just been a background thing.

I see a fair few Go Pro's on helmets around town, but was thinking of doing a front camera wired directly to the bike, just to save me looking like a paparazzi and not having to mess about charging.

Anyone here fitted one or any experience of either helmet or bike cam?

Thanks.

dukeboy2 13th May 2019 06:42 PM

Re: Go Pro or No?

I have one of these that I use for trackdays. I have mounts on the top of the tank and on the front of the fairing between the headlights.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/YI-Action-Sports-Camera-Control/dp/B01FU9ZIMU[/url]

It works great and the image quality is really good. I don't use it for commuting (but I probably should)

motojojo 13th May 2019 08:32 PM

[QUOTE=dukeboy2;3571533]I have one of these that I use for trackdays. I have mounts on the top of the tank and on the front of the fairing between the headlights.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/YI-Action-Sports-Camera-Control/dp/B01FU9ZIMU[/url]

It works great and the image quality is really good. I don't use it for commuting (but I probably should)[/QUOTE]

That might be a winner, could easily pop it in and out of a case when I'm off the bike. Cheers

dukeboy2 13th May 2019 09:33 PM

Just keep in mind it does not come with a case. I bought this accessory pack which has about every attachment you could ever want.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HRJI38M/[/url]

Still way cheaper than a gp-pro and the video quality is impressively good.

corkgsxr 13th May 2019 11:12 PM

Also I'd only do it if your a very law abiding biker. Your basically recording evidence

RTV 14th May 2019 08:24 AM

As I commute on the bike, I have a GoPro 5 Sessions on my helmet at all times. Battery life is enough my my roundtrip and it has a very small form factor that's not intrusive nor it adds much weight or anything like that to the helmet.

As long as you're not going to start road ragging everyone and pointing to your camera saying "you're going to youtube" all the time, I'll say go for it.

Dymag 14th May 2019 08:30 AM

[QUOTE=corkgsxr;3571549]Also I'd only do it if your a very law abiding biker. Your basically recording evidence[/QUOTE]

spot on. be so easy to implicate yourself if you have it on the whole time.
you could have committed many offences(maybe easy ones)since you left home, before you even get to the big incident you've recorded, then guard looks at all of the recording.

not that i'm a law breaker, but,on that basis...i'm out.... each to their own. stay safe.

©-© 14th May 2019 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.
[ATTACH]182836[/ATTACH]
A less obtrusive option, Drift Stealth affixed to helmet above eyeline.

Dominus Obsequious Sororium 14th May 2019 05:09 PM

Problem with the GoPro on the helmet approach, is that you will capture your speedo at regular intervals...admissible as evidence.

dukeboy2 15th May 2019 12:38 PM

Mine is mounted on the tank and the speedo is blocked by the handlebars. Again, I pretty much just use it at Mondello.

Yes you are recording your entire commute. If you are driving like a lunatic, well you are going to record that too and that's probably a bad idea given you are most likely going to be to cause of an accident that you are involved in.

If you do have a serious accident, it's your word against the cage. The problem is you probably ended up in hospital and can't remember much.

The cage can say whatever they like. "you came out of nowhere at 200kph".

The upside is, the camera doesn't lie.

The downside is, the camera doesn't lie.

RTV 15th May 2019 01:12 PM

Well... the idea of the camera is to proof that it wasn't your fault. If it was, you're fucked either way.

Dominus Obsequious Sororium 15th May 2019 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=dukeboy2;3571721]Mine is mounted on the tank and the speedo is blocked by the handlebars. Again, I pretty much just use it at Mondello.

Yes you are recording your entire commute. If you are driving like a lunatic, well you are going to record that too and that's probably a bad idea given you are most likely going to be to cause of an accident that you are involved in.

If you do have a serious accident, it's your word against the cage. The problem is you probably ended up in hospital and can't remember much.

The cage can say whatever they like. "you came out of nowhere at 200kph".

The upside is, the camera doesn't lie.

The downside is, the camera doesn't lie.[/QUOTE]

Well said, exactly my thoughts...

I was knocked off a year ago by a woman who admitted liability on the scene, then lied through her teeth in court. Luckily the judge believed me, realised she was lying, and awarded entirely in my favour…but, I reckon a camera would have kept it out of court.

hondablade 17th May 2019 08:12 AM

Are there any laws surrounding use of cameras as evidence and has anyone used them in court but the footage was also used against them? Why cant the video be edited that you only show the minute before the accident etc and stop the footage after?

Seems a very grey area to me but if your in a crash or accident and the person who caused it knows that you have a camera they wont want to go to court and im sure will admit liability knowing that they are on candy camera?

RTV 17th May 2019 08:24 AM

[QUOTE=hondablade;3571938]Are there any laws surrounding use of cameras as evidence and has anyone used them in court but the footage was also used against them? Why cant the video be edited that you only show the minute before the accident etc and stop the footage after?

Seems a very grey area to me but if your in a crash or accident and the person who caused it knows that you have a camera they wont want to go to court and
im sure will admit liability knowing that they are on candy camera?[/QUOTE]

Cagers will never admit being at fault as they were too distracted in the first place to know what the fuck was going on, and of course, bikers must be speeding at all times.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you broke 20 laws up until the moment, if the accident was caused by cager and he/she is at fault. For the case of the accident itself, the cager will be at fault. Gards might fuck you over for the rest, but that would be a separated case IMO.

And yeah, not sure if the gards can just impound your property and flick over your videos so freely, and if I'm being ask for a video I'll only send the clip involved regardless of what was I doing before.

gap35 17th May 2019 01:33 PM

[QUOTE=RTV;3571939]Cagers will never admit being at fault as they were too distracted in the first place to know what the fuck was going on, and of course, bikers must be speeding at all times.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you broke 20 laws up until the moment, if the accident was caused by cager and he/she is at fault. For the case of the accident itself, the cager will be at fault. Gards might fuck you over for the rest, but that would be a separated case IMO.

And yeah, not sure if the gards can just impound your property and flick over your videos so freely, and if I'm being ask for a video I'll only send the clip involved regardless of what was I doing before.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter what they see since the burden of proof lies with them - proof that you were the rider etc.. They wouldn't be arsed unless of course you deal with that awkward little bollix that seems to show up on and off.

efanton 17th May 2019 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=RTV;3571939]Cagers will never admit being at fault as they were too distracted in the first place to know what the fuck was going on, and of course, bikers must be speeding at all times.

And yeah, not sure if the gards can just impound your property and flick over your videos so freely, and i[B]f I'm being ask for a video I'll only send the clip involved regardless of what was I doing before[/B].[/QUOTE]

The problem with that is that a copy of a video, or video thats been edited probably would not be admissible in court.

This is the same reason why the police have dedicated body cams in the UK.
Video from phones and other devices was not deemed admissible in some cases. With the bodycams, the whole device, bodycam and memory is submitted as evidence. not just the memory card or a copy of the video.

If you submitted a video clip, or edited video it would be entirely down to the judge to decide whether it would be admissible. As for the guards taking your camera or memory card without your permission I would doubt they could do that legally. Personally I would not surrender any evidence without a warrant or order from a judge.

Also if you are thinking of using video to support a case, without date and time stamps I would imagine this too could be challenged by any solicitor defending their client. The law is an ass and its often the innocent who suffer because the guilty party has 'rights'.

me2 18th May 2019 04:13 AM

[QUOTE=hondablade;3571938]

but if your in a crash or accident and the person who caused it knows that you have a camera they wont want to go to court and im sure will admit liability knowing that they are on candy camera?[/QUOTE]
Fuck no, you will have to go all the way. They may capitulate on the court steps at the eleventh hour, but only after you convince them that you can close your case.
[QUOTE=RTV;3571939]
For the case of the accident itself, the cager will be at fault. Gards might fuck you over for the rest, but that would be a separated case IMO.

And yeah, not sure if the gards can just impound your property...[/QUOTE]
On the first point, dream on. The cop who came after me in November 15 worked both sides of the legal line, took two years and dismissing my first legal council to sort that one.
Dangerous driving charge was designed to apportion liability for insurance purposes.

I've nothing personal against any amateur wannabe movie star bikers, but can any tell me who minds the evidence if they finish their journey in an ambulance.