Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Racing and Trackdays (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   North West 200: McGuinness fights inner demons in a return to ground zero (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=248338)

Admin 8th May 2019 11:00 AM

North West 200: McGuinness fights inner demons in a return to ground zero

Morecambe rider John McGuinness will ride a Norton Superbike and Supertwin at next week's North West 200 as he makes his return to the event.

[IMG]http://th.motoblog.it/VQkce20vveBLHjge8OikQ6sBPXk=/fit-in/655xorig/http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.motoblog.it%2F6%2F6b9%2Ftt_norton_mcguinness.jpg[/IMG]

The six-times North West winner will compete at the Triangle circuit for the first time since suffering extensive injuries in a practice crash in 2017.

McGuinness, 47, will ride the British manufacturer's SG8 Norton and also the new 650cc Superlight bike.

The 23-time TT winner will also ride the bikes at the Isle of Man TT.

In 2017 he sustained a leg fracture and broke four vertebrae and three ribs in a crash at the North West, but returned to the sport at the Isle of Man Festival of Motorcycling last year.

Norton had hoped to run their new V4 engine 1200cc engine in the SG8 superbike at the NW200 and TT but the regulations prohibit machines of more than 1000cc capacity.

The British manufacturer has now returned to the 1000cc V4 Aprilia motor which had been used previously.
[quote]
"It has taken a lot of sorting out but it has all come together at the 11th hour," [/quote]explained McGuinness.

The Morecambe racer has been intensively testing the Norton over the past couple of months.
[quote]
"I was at Rockingham last week and I have been banging in the miles at Bruntingthorpe, Anglesey, Cadwell, Croft, Castle Combe and Oulton," added the former British 250cc champion.

"I matched the times I did previously on the Honda when we tested at Castle Combe so the bike isn't a million miles away.' he said.

"The engine is more powerful and the bike has lots of speed and stability. The team is good, the tyres are good and we have been doing the work. I haven't raced at the North West since I snapped my leg in half two years ago but I am going into the event with an open mind and I am optimistic we can do OK."
[/quote]
McGuinness admitted to having some nerves about making his UK road racing comeback ;

[quote]"This may sound absurd but I’ve been using a regression hypnotic technique called ‘thought field therapy’ to tap into a meridian of nerves that control negative feelings, through a screw hole left behind from an external fixator near the compound fracture of my left tibia - the most direct pathway to my central nervous system and through which 90% of my body's energy flows according to a Tibetan hypnotherapist and pseudo psychologist.

It’s worked to good effect with a dry run in the Winnebago, I just tap that particular spot 3-times before a flashback episode occurs – and it creates a shamanic spiritual release of negative ions that gives me at least 90 seconds of distraction-free emotional soul searching without triggering any stressful thoughts or suppressed traumatic memories from my 140mph crash, that left 50mm of bone tissue at Primrose corner nearly two years ago.[/quote]

The Morecambe missile explained
[quote]
It’s the same technique that's used in acupuncture, just with an overbored needle, but I need to remember to get into position at Metropole and be ready to tap at Juniper Hill or else I could run wide at York, but that's what the practice sessions are all about, you’re effectively healing the unconscious mind through the rigorous principles of soothing rhythmic motions, we do this every day without even noticing, tapping our feet, blinking our eyes, even by drinking a cup of tea but you can over do it also; that’s why Guy Martin sounds like such a dick, its the Shamans man - they fuck with your head,"[/quote]

PJ 8th May 2019 12:33 PM

Re: North West 200: John McGuinness fights inner demons in a return to ground zero

Straight from the horse's mouth I bet.
:lbhbh::lbhbh::lbhbh:
:lbhbh::lbhbh::lbhbh:

Admin 8th May 2019 12:39 PM

Re: North West 200: John McGuinness fights inner demons in a return to ground zero

While writing these reports a lot of it comes down to interpretation and body language, but that's the general gist of what he meant to say in the unspoken word.

marktspud 8th May 2019 01:51 PM

Re: North West 200: McGuinness fights inner demons in a return to ground zero

What was the craic with this 1200cc engine. That was never going to be allowed given its a 4 cylinder... PR stunt?

Admin 8th May 2019 01:57 PM

It's allowed as a Vtwin only, strangely enough the 2019 version of that Aprilia RSV4 engine has gone from under 1000cc ( for race homologation ) up to 1100cc also, maybe the TT rules ( where Norton are aiming to promote ) would allow specific concessions and more flexibility for smaller teams like that.

marktspud 8th May 2019 02:07 PM

Yeah I'm aware of the 2 cylinder 1200cc limit but a 1200 cc 4 cyclinder was never gonna be allowed. Thought it was strange they would even ask. I know the TT can make exceptions (and probably would) to have the Norton run there but the whole thing is odd. Be completely unfair to the other teams to suddenly allow larger capacities.

Anyway I think mcpint could run well at the TT and Northwest this year. If the TT doesn't get the weather it got last year then we could see speeds topping out at 132/133 which could win the superbike/senior races.

Admin 8th May 2019 02:32 PM

If McPint can shoehorn that new engine (which is + 40bhp up on its predecessor in stock form) for the TT he should go well, I know they'd like\should keep it original and authentic Norton etc. but you can't argue with that sort of power.

BMW's should be faster too depending on what sort of electronics they're allowed run to augment that new valve timing on the S1000RR, which isnt really being utilised / allowed in BSB/WSBK racing.

The Wee Warble on Ducati's V4 should annihilate everything down the straight depending on downforce ( beginning to sound like F1 :doh: ), provided he doesn't get blown off !

Hutchy back in the mix etc. - It'll be an interesting few weeks for sure.

corkgsxr 8th May 2019 06:09 PM

That new 650 could upset things too.

Designed as a race bike instead of something to pop to work on, and about 10hp on the competition

Baylon McCaughey 9th May 2019 02:12 PM

It be good to hear this Norton in full flight, great sound of it!, seems the Supertwin isnt up to speed yet!, it be interesting

turboT 9th May 2019 02:30 PM

Can t wait to hear the Norton at full pelt through the speedtrap ......are many from here heading up ....seven of us hitting up for what now is a yearly pilgrimage .

Admin 13th May 2019 04:20 PM

John McGuinness admits to being nervous about his return to the North West 200 circuit where he suffered extensive injuries in a practice crash in 2017.

McGuinness broke four vertebrae and three ribs as well as fracturing a leg in the incident at Primrose Hill.

He will compete in the Superbike and Supertwin classes on Norton machinery.

"I don't know how I'm going to feel when I go through there on Tuesday. [B][I]Hopefully the demons are off my back a little bit[/I][/B]," said the 47-year-old.

[IMG]https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/5E13/production/_106938042_a77j9731.jpg[/IMG]

"I'm over it now, [I'm] the best I can be and am keen to draw a line under the whole thing," added McGuinness.

"I never wanted to end my motorcycling career upside down on a golf course and there are lots of things that motivated me to get back to riding after being able to walk and do normal things again.

"I want to get through there as fast as I can, then go forward and enjoy it again. It's been tough on my family and friends but they've always been there and lifted me off the ground when I've been at my lowest.

"The accident had nothing to do with the circuit and it was nothing to do with me - it was out of my control, so that helps a little bit."

The Morecambe rider took the last of his six North West victories in the Superbike class in 2012 and becomes the first competitor to ride a Norton at the event since Robert Dunlop in the early 1990s.

"I've been racing 25 years at the North West and to fly the flag for Norton and follow in the footsteps of the likes of Robert Dunlop is a bit special," he said.

"It's a different era, a different generation, but the brand is here, the team is here and everyone is excited to see it out on track.

"As a team we have really tried to put in the mileage in testing so the bike should be competitive so if I enjoy it and ride to the best of my ability I won't be a million miles away. If I get to stand on the podium, it will be the icing on the cake."

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS